Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 2nd-gen F-body LS swap components now released

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_73
My X-mas bonus is just waiting to be spent...any word on the 70-74 components?
They were all released just prior to Christmas Camaro73. Let me know if you need help with part numbers and I will provide them.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toddoky, what are your thoughts about using these new engine mounts in a 67 Chevelle?
I understand they may not be direct bolt in, but I would think they might be usable with some new holes in the cross member, and maybe some shims. What do you think? Thanks for any info.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Hotrodbud
Toddoky, what are your thoughts about using these new engine mounts in a 67 Chevelle?
I understand they may not be direct bolt in, but I would think they might be usable with some new holes in the cross member, and maybe some shims. What do you think? Thanks for any info.
I wouldn't get anywhere close to an A-body car with these mounts Hotrodbud; they are asymmetrical in their design to center the engine and transmission in the subframe of a 2nd-gen F-body, so they are nothing like using common swap plates that retain the stock 3/8" passenger-side offset used in most GM cars.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear the 70-74 headers were released! I cant wait to get a second gen and ls swap it with Hooker parts, it looks like a killer setup you all have designed.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the best place to get the crossmember? Best price I mean
Old 02-05-2014, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would assume jegs or summit
Old 02-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Although they will physically bolt to the heads, their geometry is not a good match to the raised ports of LS7 heads, which require LS7 specific flanges to keep from introducing a step at the roof at the port when the headers are installed.
This is the first time Ive heard this. Does anyone have side by side pictures of LS7 and other heads to confirm?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Toddoky I'm just a noob on this site, but will be more frequent in the near future since I will be doing an ls in my 70 chevelle that I've owned for 31 years. My first car. I completed my first ls swap two years ago on my 69 c/10 utilizing your ls swap cast manifolds. I must say the fit was excellent and look great. My only gripe was the black ceramic coat turnig gray/brown. What you guys have done for the 2nd gen camaro makes me want to pick one up since the first gen are so $$$$. Now with all do respect can you PLEASE shift the A body project into warp speed. Would rather have a complete kit with all the fitment issues on these cars thanks.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bill71
This is the first time Ive heard this. Does anyone have side by side pictures of LS7 and other heads to confirm?
Thanks for bringing this back up Bill, I had forgotten about it. Following the previous post I made I had a chance to go back and revisit the set of LS7 heads I based my report on and realized they featured an aftermarket CNC port job that raised the roof of the ports; the stock LS7 heads feature the same port location as the other factory LS heads and the Hooker headers fit them as well.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by daaaanz67
Toddoky I'm just a noob on this site, but will be more frequent in the near future since I will be doing an ls in my 70 chevelle that I've owned for 31 years. My first car. I completed my first ls swap two years ago on my 69 c/10 utilizing your ls swap cast manifolds. I must say the fit was excellent and look great. My only gripe was the black ceramic coat turnig gray/brown. What you guys have done for the 2nd gen camaro makes me want to pick one up since the first gen are so $$$$. Now with all do respect can you PLEASE shift the A body project into warp speed. Would rather have a complete kit with all the fitment issues on these cars thanks.
I hear you Dan. The A-bodies are on our radar for new LS swap parts, but those cars have known major issues regarding LS swaps (i.e. steering component/oil pan interference and low tunnel height) that we are going to have to spend the appropriate time/resources to correct before any swap components can be developed. There's no point in us bringing another group of components to the market that install the engine at a 5 degree inclination angle (really bad on a lowered pro-touring type build for sure) and bang the inner tie rod ends into the oil pan like many existing parts do. Swappers want corrections to these issues and that's what you'll see coming from us.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:43 PM
Teching In

The new Hooker 2nd-gen F-body LS swap components have just been released and this thread is being posted as a means to supply end users with any technical information they may need to decide if these products would be appropriate for their project needs.

Included in this comprehensive system of bolt-in components are engine mounts, transmission crossmembers, headers and 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems (exhaust systems are still in the tooling stage and will be released shortly).

Please take note that the configuration of these components is unlike anything currently being offered and was done deliberately to solve some of the long-standing issues being faced by swappers. A case in point here would be the use of captured clamshell mounting brackets and the fully engineered application specific transmission crossmembers, which when used together provide engine inclination and U-joint working angles that you can actually use in a performance application.

Do you want to run mechanical clutch linkage with a Quicktime bellhousing or even retain the stock A/C evaporator case? These Hooker headers and mounting components allow you to do even that if you wish.

I expect there will be lots of detailed questions, so I am posting the following address that will take you to the product flier (it's two pages) for all these parts to break the ice and get you familiar with them:

https://www.holley.com/assets/images.../L30983web.pdf

If you have any questions after reading the flier, just post away and I'll do my best to answer them in a timely manner. I'll also make a second post shortly to put up some install photos for anyone interested in the visual presentation of these parts.

Sincere thanks from the Hooker/Holley family of gearheads
Looking for a conversion kit for a 76 Trans am. Nothing on your web site that I could find.

+ the flier link is broken.

AM I SOL?

Stan
Old 08-01-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TransAm_Stan
Looking for a conversion kit for a 76 Trans am. Nothing on your web site that I could find.

+ the flier link is broken.

AM I SOL?

Stan
The folks in the marketing department have been doing a lot of work on the website lately Stan, but all the parts you need are available to swap your Trans Am. In order to help you get the part numbers, I need to know what transmission you plan on installing behind the LS engine.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:01 PM
Teching In

The folks in the marketing department have been doing a lot of work on the website lately Stan, but all the parts you need are available to swap your Trans Am. In order to help you get the part numbers, I need to know what transmission you plan on installing behind the LS engine.
TKO600

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2014, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

TKO600

Thanks!
Since Hooker does not offer a direct fit crossmember for your chosen transmission, the installation of an LS engine into your car will require some minor fabrication/adapting if you want to use the Hooker system of parts to accomplish it. Here's what you'll need:

Engine bracket mounting kit- 12613HKR

Mid-length headers- 2471HKR(1-3/4" primaries) or 2472HKR (1-7/8" primaries)

Long-tube headers- 2296HKR(1-3/4" primaries) or 2297HKR (1-7/8" primaries)
2296HKR

Exhaust systems (connect directly to the Hooker long-tube headers)- 42501HKR (2.5") and 42102HKR (3")

Transmission crossmember- The mounting pad location on a TKO 600 is located 4.5" further forward and about 1.25" higher than the mount location on a GM 4th-gen F-body T56, which means you can purchase/install the Hooker 12616HKR T56 crossmember into your car and fabricate a cantilevered adapter bracket that extends forward and up from the mounting point of the crossmember to support your TKO 600.

If you do not have the means by which to produce such a bracket, or know someone who can, I would say that the Hooker components would not be suitable for your needs.

Let me know if you have any further questions I can answer for you.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the information!
Old 08-02-2014, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the information!
You're welcome.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

On my 1980 Camaro I am planning on using the truck style ac compressor and mount, I believe i will have to notch my frame to do this, Will these Will HOK-2296-1HKR headers and motor mounts clear this or am I SOL? Also I have a GM Muscle Car Oil Pan.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Since Hooker does not offer a direct fit crossmember for your chosen transmission, the installation of an LS engine into your car will require some minor fabrication/adapting if you want to use the Hooker system of parts to accomplish it. Here's what you'll need:

Engine bracket mounting kit- 12613HKR

Mid-length headers- 2471HKR(1-3/4" primaries) or 2472HKR (1-7/8" primaries)

Long-tube headers- 2296HKR(1-3/4" primaries) or 2297HKR (1-7/8" primaries)
2296HKR

Exhaust systems (connect directly to the Hooker long-tube headers)- 42501HKR (2.5") and 42102HKR (3")

Transmission crossmember- The mounting pad location on a TKO 600 is located 4.5" further forward and about 1.25" higher than the mount location on a GM 4th-gen F-body T56, which means you can purchase/install the Hooker 12616HKR T56 crossmember into your car and fabricate a cantilevered adapter bracket that extends forward and up from the mounting point of the crossmember to support your TKO 600.

If you do not have the means by which to produce such a bracket, or know someone who can, I would say that the Hooker components would not be suitable for your needs.

Let me know if you have any further questions I can answer for you.

Toddoky,

I am in the process of installing my LS3 into a 76 Trans Am.

I am having mega issues.

First off the engine & tranny would not go in as one. I tried it without the tranny & same issue. Pulled off the bottom mounts that attaches to the cross member & bolted it to the Hooker mounts & tried to install.

I am using 12613HKR mounts.

Now the mounts need to come down a couple inches as seen in the pics below.

You can see more pics here:
http://s656.photobucket.com/user/Why...ooker%20Mounts

There is no way (unless I am doing something wrong) that this setup is going to allow the motor to drop so I can bolt in the lower mounts. Any ideas what the issue is?

Thanks for your time.

Stan
304-265-0670

Last edited by TransAm_Stan; 09-23-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: 'Cause I can
Old 09-23-2014, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Toddoky,

I am in the process of installing my LS3 into a 76 Trans Am.

I am having mega issues.

First off the engine & tranny would not go in as one. I tried it without the tranny & same issue. Pulled off the bottom mounts that attaches to the cross member & bolted it to the Hooker mounts & tried to install.

I am using 12613HKR mounts.

Now the mounts need to come down a couple inches as seen in the pics below.

You can see more pics here:
http://s656.photobucket.com/user/Why...ooker%20Mounts

There is no way (unless I am doing something wrong) that this setup is going to allow the motor to drop so I can bolt in the lower mounts. Any ideas what the issue is?

Thanks for your time.

Stan
304-265-0670
Your pictures make this an easy one Stan...you have the engine brackets installed on the wrong sides of the engine and you need to swap them left for right.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Your pictures make this an easy one Stan...you have the engine brackets installed on the wrong sides of the engine and you need to swap them left for right.
Now that's what I call tech support

Quick Reply: New Hooker 2nd-gen F-body LS swap components now released