TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
Looks good!
Thanks, I was pretty proud of it considering I used tin snipes to make it lol. That first rusted nomad did up my game on metal fab skills anyway.

My babies transplant arrived this morning. I'm getting excited now. Just need to find good matching 6l80 trans to go with it.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrad's on the new engine.. can't wait for this thread to start popping !
Should be one sweet cruising Nomad !

BC
Old 06-18-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure is a purty motor. missed you this year on the tour. did most of it in the 67 , barely made it but I did make it with some ecm issues ,new ls3 , 6l80 and some paint . will post some pics on my thread when I find my camera, JOHN
Old 06-18-2014, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by john 67
sure is a purty motor. missed you this year on the tour. did most of it in the 67 , barely made it but I did make it with some ecm issues ,new ls3 , 6l80 and some paint . will post some pics on my thread when I find my camera, JOHN
John glad to see you made another power tour!!! Wish I could have too. I'm going 6 speed on this one so I might need to pick your brain a little sense you have already accomplished it. What rear gear did you finally go with behind the 6 speed?

Thanks
Rocky
Old 06-18-2014, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ended up going with a 3.08 . I used the speartech shifter ( gm ) and I am very happy with it , going through the mountains and just thumb shifting was a breeze . trans may need a bit of tweaking with the tune it seems to be in a rush to get into 6th gear . I had a modified tune for the trans but had to switch ecm s ( compatiblity issues ) now I have a stock vette tune , its fine but will Iget trans tuned a bit different when I go back to the tuner . make sure you get all the years for each component you are using ( trans , engine ) so whoever is building your harness can steer you in the right direction . you may need a different throttle body, maf . ect . I am just working all that out now .JOHN
Old 12-21-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

We started the initial LS2 6l80 installation in the 55 nomad yesterday. It fit real nice without to many issues so far. Thanks to everyone who have crossed this bridge ahead of us. We used the Holley pan a real nice looking product!! The engine is a 2006 vet LS2. I was hoping to use the factory vet engine mounts that came on the engine but it appears the donut style vet mounts are 2 big in dia unless We built some type of offset plate so I'm searching for a smaller rubber donut mount to use on the vet factory engine stands which are located in a good place relative to the frame and front crossmember to adapt a frame mount to. The oil pan fit the engine accept we had to modify the factory windage tray to accept the new pickup tube. I used factory 2010 camaro manifolds and they fit perfect. The engine is setting on 2x4 on the crossmember and we have about a 5 degree down angle on the engine as it sets right now. The factory battery box fits without the engine coil covers own but will have to be raised to clear the plastic covers. My good friend Darren helped out and donated his engine hoist and plasma cutter which made quick work of trimming the tunnel to accept the 6l80. All in all the LS2 looks right at home between the frame rails of the nomad. I'm very happy with how well things are going so far.

Does anyone know what oil filter fits the Holley pan? It's thread was bigger than the vet factory filter. Also what trans stick are you guys using with the vet style covers. I have a truck stick that came with the 6l80 but not sure it will work.
Thanks
Rocky

[/URL

[/URL

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by rockytopper; 12-31-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks like your iff to a great start on this phase of the build !

the PF48 should be the correct filter. If you want to stick with the PF46.. you can just pick up or use the threaded adapter from an older pan tbat is using the PF46. You can use the LS2 one

I used the Lokar tans tube and stick.

I had a small stock of the PF46's so I did the adapter swap fir now and will switch to the upgraded PF48e later on both the Chevelle and Nova.

Keep the thead and pictures coming !

BC
Old 12-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Nomads are so hot. Nice choice
Old 12-22-2014, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

After further effort I manage to make the truck trans dip stick work with minor tweaking to clear battery. I decided to just trim the plastic coil cover to fit around the battery tray so that it can remain in the stock location. Very happy now and less parts to have to buy.

[/URL]
Old 12-23-2014, 03:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Awesome score !!! Subscribing
Old 12-24-2014, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Managed to fab a trans crossmember out of some scrap tubing I had laying around. Santa showed up early in a brown truck and left me a early gift. New engine mounts came in so after Christmas I will start fabing frame stands.Merry Christmas all it's time for me to go put smiles on the Grandkids faces!!!!
Rocky
[/URL]
Old 12-25-2014, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great start, the bug to do a 56 210 or BelAir has bitten again, so I am on the lookout. Your powertrain combination is exactly what I had in mind, so I will be watching very closely. There was a car that I passed every day walking to school that I would really like to duplicate, with more contemporary drive train, so you just never know.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
Great start, the bug to do a 56 210 or BelAir has bitten again, so I am on the lookout. Your powertrain combination is exactly what I had in mind, so I will be watching very closely. There was a car that I passed every day walking to school that I would really like to duplicate, with more contemporary drive train, so you just never know.

The vet engine has fit perfect. The vet donuts are 2 big but the engine stands are in a perfect location to the frame. I found after market donuts that will work. Ill be fabbing frame mounts tomorrow. I used 2010 camaro manifolds and Holley pan both fit nicely.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rockytopper
Sense I've owned the 4 door I have grown found of the neptune green so my plans have changed from the cutlass grey I had planned.

I have 1 or 2 gallons of that color mixed up in Nason base coat sitting in my garage waiting to be sprayed on something.. if you were closer, I would just give it to you.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Rockytopper,

What brand plasma cutter do you have?? Please take alot of pics during the build. A 55 Nomad had been a childhood dream build. Subscribed
Old 12-26-2014, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Noremac wish I was I'd take you up on that. I plan to restore the bottom, firewall, fender edges door edges and dash and drive it for a few years as a rat rod before she gets the full treatment.

Jimbo it's a miller ill have to look at model number. It's a small one.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

I managed to finish up the trans mount and got a good start on engine mounts today.
[/URL]

[/URL]
Old 12-26-2014, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks like to vette mounts worked out great. Keep upthe woek with the posts.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Success!!! She is in and resting on her on feet.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Last edited by rockytopper; 12-31-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Have i gone mad?