Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The time has come to start asking questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The time has come to start asking questions...

I'm dealing with a 2002 LS1 wiring harness. I have power to the PCM and proper grounds. (Checked this with a multimeter at the proper pinouts, using this diagram http://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/2002pcm.htm) I am using a battery charger to test the power and grounds 12v 6amp setting. (Grounds go to black cable, Constants go to the Red cable, and a switch wired up for my Ignitions<-- This may not even be necessary but I cannot seem to get HPTuners or my OBD II scan tool to read. I continue to get the "make sure key is on" display) I have the harness out and on the floor (Much easier to test, instead of laying on a roll cage and my body bent like a pretzel halfway into the car) so nothing is fused or on relays just yet. I wanted to test the harness/PCM/OBD II prior to installing it into the car.

Blue connector: Pins 2,19,20,57 all have 12v while 1, and 40 are grounded. Pin 58 is hooked up to my OBD II Port.

Red Connector: Pins 1, and 40 are grounded and Pin 39 has 12v

My questions are:
Is there anything else that requires power besides the "Orange and Pink" wires or the ones I mentioned above?
Would my battery charger give it the proper grounding it needs? It reads fine, but may not be strong enough?
Are VATS an issue at this point (Testing harness)?
Am I missing a 5v reference?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Use a battery hooked to the charger for the tests

B2 and R39 are crank and cam sensor 12v. Not required for testing power

B19 must be on a switch while B20&57 constant for the scanner to function. If that's the case, test the grounds and serial circuit

Personally, I prefer ohming out each circuit instead of doing power/function tests. Much faster

VATS will not prevent your scanner from functioning. It only disables the starter and fuel system
Old 09-16-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

did you wire up Battery power to the ODBII connector port ?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pocket
Use a battery hooked to the charger for the tests

B2 and R39 are crank and cam sensor 12v. Not required for testing power

B19 must be on a switch while B20&57 constant for the scanner to function. If that's the case, test the grounds and serial circuit

Personally, I prefer ohming out each circuit instead of doing power/function tests. Much faster

VATS will not prevent your scanner from functioning. It only disables the starter and fuel system
Thanks a lot man. I'll give it a try when I get home from work. Ohming is much faster, but I want to get HPTuners to load up before I install the harness. I will also put a battery/charger on it instead of charger alone.

Those wires hooked up alone will let the PCM start talking to the scanner?

Originally Posted by bczee
did you wire up Battery power to the ODBII connector port ?
Yes, has sufficent battery power and ground.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

You only need a couple power wires and a data line to get the scanner hooked up. I made a PCM test harness, I think it has 3 or 4 power wires (been a while since I used it).
Old 09-17-2013, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/lt...t-lsx-pcm.html

That's all that's needed to power up a PCM
Old 09-17-2013, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys! I'm home from work now, I'm going to try what Pocket has posted and see where we are from there. I'll give you guys an update once I get it.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:49 PM
10 Second Club

That worked! Hell Yes!! I'm able to communicate with the PCM via HPTuners and my scan tool. My only problem now is I went to "read entire" in editor. It gave me the loc:4000 Checksum fail. So I guess the PCM will need re-flashing back to stock with a tech2.

Pocket: Could you hook me up with what needs to be hooked up so I can have the engine run. Or if the PCM is powered I'm good to go? I seemed to have stepped back to square one. The pcm is good to go now, I'm ready to install it into the car. I would just like to know what else needs to be powered for the harness to function properly.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: The time has come to start asking questions...