Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap

I have a 68 Camaro with a LS1 engine wanting to go up in horse power it only makes 290 at rear wheels looking at installing a LSX engine but not sure what all would have to be changed .Does anyone know of a article or book you can purchase that can guide you thru this process or would it be better to change the heads and intake on what I have ?
Old 11-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Default LSX Build

It's all about how much money you would like to spend. Turbo & NOS are the kings. A 9" rear Mosier $3-4k, large drive shaft $400., fuel delivery system Lonnies $2k, engine $10k-$20k. Auto trannys with stalls or clutches.
To answer your question, I do not know of a guide at the moment.
I am planning to send an aluminum 6.0L bare block out to ERL to be converted into a 7.4L short block with longer and stronger sleeves. Precision of Texas Speed has 285 Heads and a short or tall tunnel ram intake. Some hp engine builders are having trouble getting those 2 pieces to psycnh up.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Boost it if you have the room. Then you can run cheap shortblocks and still make good numbers.

How much power do you want? A little head work and a decent cam will put an LS1 over the 400hp mark.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 129 Likes on 116 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

A cam alone will help.
Some head work alone will help.
Add a cam and some head work together You'll love the power.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tstrange
I have a 68 Camaro with a LS1 engine wanting to go up in horse power it only makes 290 at rear wheels looking at installing a LSX engine but not sure what all would have to be changed .Does anyone know of a article or book you can purchase that can guide you thru this process or would it be better to change the heads and intake on what I have ?
How much power are you wanting to make? I just watched a buddy lay down close to 400 hp with just 243 heads and a cam. That car is his DD. My old school 383 with heads, cam, and intake was down 70 hp to his and mine isnt something I want to drive everyday. You got lots of power potential with what you have, just depends on what your goal is and how much you want to spend. I just got an LQ9 that I am putting into my Chevelle along with a mild cam. After that dyno day, I will not dump another penny into an SBC. I am an LS guy now.

Quick Reply: Engine swap