Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direction Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direction Please

I have an ls-1 in my 51 Chevy truck. I decided to change the thermostat. (engine is out of a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500). The thermostat that the parts store gave me does not match the one that I have. The thermostat that I have can be removed from the housing by pushing in on tabs and releasing it from the housing.The parts store has a (regular) type thermostat? I was told that I may have to purchase the hold housing?? Is there a part or cross reference for this? Or can someone point me in the right direction ??
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can convert your setup by using a 2005 and up thermostat and water outlet housing It will cost you money the first time around but any future thermostat changes will cost less .
Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mantycarguy
You can convert your setup by using a 2005 and up thermostat and water outlet housing It will cost you money the first time around but any future thermostat changes will cost less .
So are the pumps the same? If I need to change the pump while I'm there along with the housing ?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Call around and find a thermostat that comes with the housing. That's how we order them at the shop and I've never had an issue.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

You can't just change the thermostat housing with the removable thermostat type without getting the matching water pump since the openins are different sizes. If you had the one piece thermostat and housing, you need to replace it with the same kind.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:33 AM
Staging Lane

Wow guy's thanks for the replies. I will have to go back to the parts house , thought I had this covered. I had the guy look up the water pumps for the 04 and 05 and he showed the same part number. So either the change was not from 04 to 05 or he looked it up wrong. I was trying to verify the that the parts would interchange buy doing this. I was just trying to switch them so that I would only pay $12.00 for a thermostat instead of $45.00 each time it needed changing. Take the hit once and not worry about it!! seems to be a bit more complicated than that ?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

OK guy's enlighten me on why it won't work. You guys have been at this way longer than I have. But since I had the neck and thermostat already I went out and tried the replacement. the seal is good no leaks seems to be working fine, is there something that I'm missing? I did find that there are 2 size necks for this so could some people be getting the wrong size? Thanks for the replies and help.

Quick Reply: Direction Please