Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq9 /LS3 engine source: New short block or junk yard?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lq9 /LS3 engine source: New short block or junk yard?

I am considering a lq9/ls3 swap into my 69 Camaro. My question is rooted in how best to source the parts.

My goals are 450 RWHP on stock unported ls3 heads and using a street friendly moderate cam. The car is a cruiser that will see little track time and no power adders. Therefore, I don't think I am a candidate for an expensive forged short block.

Originally, I was considering sourcing the engine from a yard, however if I am replacing the heads, intake, wire harness, oil pan, and possibly the TB and gas pedal, the only item I am really left with is the short block. Initial research shows these take off items hold little resale value.

I have not searched locally, but eBay has complete salvaged engines for $2000. Using Thompson Motorsports as an example, I can pick up a 0.030 over rebuilt short block for the same price.

Am I missing any reason on why to choose a new budget short block over a 100k mile JY engine?

What other accessories do I need to complete the bottom end? The timing chain and cover, and water pump?

I am considering a used set of LS3 heads from the seller See5 here on the boards.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2014, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A complete pull out will give you sensors, brackets, injectors, rails, timing cover, rear cover, valley cover and a ton of little parts that can easily sink a budget.

However I would be hesitant to just install a 100K motor with out going thru it, bearing, rings, gaskets, water pump, oil pump, etc. If the used motor needs any machine work then your budget is out the window.

I would check Craig's List for local sources, also call local junk yards. You might be able to find a local shop that specializes in LS engines, they might help you find a motor.

I purchased a LQ4 short block off Craig's list for $600. Of course it was missing all the little stuff I mentioned above.

Also check the classified ads here I think there is some stuff in FLA for sale.

No offense to any one but used heads can be bit of a gamble. I have purchased used heads before some were fine some not. If you purchase used heads you will need to get them checked out, valves, seats guides, springs, seals, etc.

You should check out new LS3 heads, there are a number of good places to check, Summit, Scoggin-Dickey, or just look up the part number and do a google search.

If you are looking at a Thompson short block you might see how much more a long block is, it might not be that much more.

These are all the steps I have done in the past. In short there is no replacement for doing research and educating yourself. That way you can make an informed decision rather than a guess.

In the end it is a matter of what you are comfortable with, your budget and skills. Your goal is not out of reach either way you go.

Good luck
Old 01-13-2014, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Lkqonline.com is a great source. When in the site go to escalade engine assembly. They are complete engines and affordable.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. You are right about doing research. I want to get all of my questions and processes squared away before I spend my first dollar. I am documenting my process as I go through the planning phase.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

I would get a junkyard LQ9 and bore it 0.065 and install a brand new LS3 rotating assembly, you can pick them up for super cheap and that way you make sure you will have no issues.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

I have not heard much about swapping in LS3 rotating assemblies. What does that offer me over the lq9 parts? Where can you source brand new LS3 components for super cheap?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

I saw a few new or almost new rotating assemblies on different forums for less than $500. Biggest gain is compression ratio and unshrouding of the valves with the larger bore. You end up with an iron LS3 and with mild cam should do 450whp all day long.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Teching In

I've been watching used engine prices for a while now and in my opinion, they are way out of line. I am leaning toward a crate engine or GMPP set up for my car. As noted earlier, I don't feel comfortable putting a 100K engine in my car. The rest of my car is mint...why would I pay through the nose and put a worn out engine in it?......I'm sure that several will chime in and say that70K to 100K on an LS motor is nothing but it still doesn't make sense to me. Also, used engines from the mid west usually have a lot of corrosion.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Ls3 internals pop up on here for sale every now and then. I'm still go use a 24 tooth on the wheel. The 6.0 block has been sonic decked or whateve. So basically Yrs it's a iron ls3 going into my 2000 z28 6 speed. Hope it be fun with the ls3 top end and custom cam from Brian tooley
Old 01-13-2014, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Also, will the compression ratio be 10.4 with the lq9 bottom end / ls3 setup?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

It all depends on how thick your head gaskets are and if you have them milled. just be careful if you mill the heads cause it really needs fly cut pistons at that point. Since lq9 pistons and ls3 pistons are both flat top I would guess the compression be in between 10.4 to 10.7
Old 01-13-2014, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Corey R.
Also, will the compression ratio be 10.4 with the lq9 bottom end / ls3 setup?
With stock gasket you will be at 10.17:1

You will need to mill the heads or run thinner gasket to make up the compression.

Quick Reply: lq9 /LS3 engine source: New short block or junk yard?