Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gen s10 lsx swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen s10 lsx swap

ok guys, heres where Im at, I have a stock L33 that Im wanting to swap into a 1st gen s10. I also have a built th400 that will also be used. Im picking up the truck this week. Now, I already have the f body accessories for this build. I will be using the stock truck intake and swapping to a 02-04 zo6 cam and upgrading the valve springs. The engine will be getting head studs as well. Now I have a budget of $2500 to get everything else done. I want to do an ebay turbo set up and run e85. A buddy of mine had a 355 sbc s10 and has a dual fan radiator set-up that he is willing to give me. Based off what I have already, do you guys think my budget of $2500 will get this truck running? I need to have this thing on the road by late July/early August. I can dig up some extra cash if needed, but being a budget build just for the year I would prefer to get it done for $2500. Give me your opinions. Thanks!!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:41 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would honestly recommend getting the truck up and running first without a turbo and running e85. You will be going through your $2500 pretty quick just getting it up and running reliably, not to mention if you need anything else for the truck (brakes, tires, etc.). You can always add those items down the road.
  1. What do you plan on doing for wiring? I went through Current Performance for my wiring and it was $800 at the the time for a new custom plug and play harness.
  2. With the stock intake, you will need to run a cowl induction hood.
  3. Are you planning on running an open rear end or do you have a limited slip/posi rear end that you will be swapping to?
  4. What do you have planned for a custom tune and also disabling the VATS?
  5. What's your plans for a fuel pump? I went with the Racetronix syclone/typhoon kit.
  6. What are your plans for exhaust? Running headers, cats, mufflers, and h/x-pipe?
  7. Do you have to get this truck inspected in your state?
  8. What are you doing for engine mounts?
  9. Are you going to use the column shifter or swap to a floor shifter?
  10. It's possible that the drive shaft may need to be modified and balanced, keep that in mind.
  11. Are you planning on running the stock oil pan? I would recommend the H3 oil pan, windage tray, and pickup tube. I think they sell a hot rod kit with essentially the same design.
  12. Do you plan on running air conditioning?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would highly recommend CPW motor mounts don't run the stock 2.8 mount kit they are junk and the bushings tend to sag quick. I Have some pictures of stock 2.8 mounts I pulled out of my truck and they rubber is destroyed if you would like to see them. If you are dedicated you could build your own harness but I would recommend Jared's harness at CPW also.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Teching In

First off, thanks for the replies! I also want to say, that just because this is a budget build doesnt mean Im trying to do it insanely cheap and cobbled together. If i drastically need something that is out of my "target budget" then I will buy it and it just means I didnt make my budget. But I would really like to get it running for $2500 if at all possible. Now some answers to your questions:

1. What do you plan on doing for wiring? I went through Current Performance for my wiring and it was $800 at the the time for a new custom plug and play harness. I also plan on using Current Performance for my wiring, but I may opt to tackle the wiring myself if I really want to be a cheap skate.

2. With the stock intake, you will need to run a cowl induction hood. I know that I will need a cowl hood. i have actually made a cowl hood for an s10 myself that came out fairly decent. I would probably buy one but if the cash wont allow it, than I will make another one using the existing hood and some sheet metal.

3. Are you planning on running an open rear end or do you have a limited slip/posi rear end that you will be swapping to? I am undecided on the rear end at the moment. May try to run the stock one just to get it driving. It wont be launched or driven hard at that time

4. What do you have planned for a custom tune and also disabling the VATS? I planned on getting a mail order tune with VATS disabled so that i could drive it to a local shop, but not entirely sure.

5. What's your plans for a fuel pump? I went with the Racetronix syclone/typhoon kit. I have also seen this, but it was awhile back. I may go this route. Hows it working for you?

6. What are your plans for exhaust? Running headers, cats, mufflers, and h/x-pipe? Well if my budget allows it or not, i would prefer to just go turbo right out of the gate, so I dont have to re-do much. The downpipe will exit near the front, probably after the passenger front tire.

7. Do you have to get this truck inspected in your state? nope

8. What are you doing for engine mounts? I will go with Current Performance's mounts

9. Are you going to use the column shifter or swap to a floor shifter? the truck is a base model 5 speed, so no PS,PW, or PL. I will be using a floor shifter

10. It's possible that the drive shaft may need to be modified and balanced, keep that in mind. I have one that may or may not work, if not getting a driveshaft isnt a big deal.

11. Are you planning on running the stock oil pan? I would recommend the H3 oil pan, windage tray, and pickup tube. I think they sell a hot rod kit with essentially the same design. I had already planned on the H3 pan. If I use this pan will I be limited to stock ride height?

12. Do you plan on running air conditioning? I wont be running A/C, temps dont get too crazy hot around here, and when they do i wont be driving the truck anyway. There is no need for A/C in this truck.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=63stingray;18176923]

5. What's your plans for a fuel pump? I went with the Racetronix syclone/typhoon kit. I have also seen this, but it was awhile back. I may go this route. Hows it working for you? I put 17k miles on my truck before I sold it and never had a fueling issue (or any issue for that matter, it was a very reliable truck).

6. What are your plans for exhaust? Running headers, cats, mufflers, and h/x-pipe? Well if my budget allows it or not, i would prefer to just go turbo right out of the gate, so I dont have to re-do much. The downpipe will exit near the front, probably after the passenger front tire. If you haven't already done so, you should check out the s10forum and the LSX section they have there. A few guys are running turbo LSx setups there. If you have the time and funds, do a turbo right away. I just figured it would be best to workout all the bugs/gremlins with the baseline drive train so you aren't going in circles later on. If you decide to run it naturally aspirated, Heartthrob Exhaust makes a S10 V8 dual exhaust kit that will work with minimal cutting and welding.

9. Are you going to use the column shifter or swap to a floor shifter? the truck is a base model 5 speed, so no PS,PW, or PL. I will be using a floor shifter I used a Trailblazer floor shifter, it was a nice fit if you are looking for options.

11. Are you planning on running the stock oil pan? I would recommend the H3 oil pan, windage tray, and pickup tube. I think they sell a hot rod kit with essentially the same design. I had already planned on the H3 pan. If I use this pan will I be limited to stock ride height? Mine hung down about 3/4" below the cross member, not too bad.

Another view

Eventually you will want a limited slip/posi rear end.

Most all, enjoy building it and try not to cut corners. It sounds like you are willing to spend the money where its needed so I'm sure it will pay off in the long run.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Teching In

wow that trailblazer set up looks nice!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:49 PM
Launching!

I have a harness from PSI that was used in my swap. It is already wired for the first gen firewall bulhead It is for sale You would have to do some work to it as it was for a 4l80-e transmisssion and a transfer case. Also the ecm was from a 2004 gto. But there's ecm's available on e-bay. P.M. me if you are interested or need more info. If you go with Current Performance, make sure you tell him it is a first gen truck as there is some differences.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:56 PM

are you able to answer some questions i have about this swap?
Old 01-30-2017, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

That trailblazer console, is from the first year trailblazer, or in other words, just a jimmy or s series blazer. They are bolt in since the floor is the same in a s truck as the blazer/jimmy.

I personally wouldn't run a H3 pan because of how low it sits. The Holley pan fits great! There is no concern of it hitting anything, because it sits above the K member.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:20 PM

How much do you have to smash / cut the fire wall for the LQ4? Do i need the spacer ? Will torque converter bolts line up?

Quick Reply: 1st gen s10 lsx swap