Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modify ceramic coated headers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Modify ceramic coated headers?

I have tried (6) sets of headers and several OEM manifolds on my 55 olds 88 build. Found a set of BBK g-body swap headers that clear my steering on the driver side, but these headers kick outward slightly at the collectors.

My frame has a brace that the flange hits (just barely...) on the right side and even if I notch clearance into the frame, I'd have to have about 4" "S" bend within 6" length to align wither the hole in the "X" beam.

I think if I were able to pie-cut the collectors to bring them back in about 10-15 degrees they'd line right up and I wouldn't have to cut up my frame.

Is this possible? Pie cut, weld, and then paint over the weld with some high temp paint? It would be a small area. Not show car, but I don't want it to look like crap.

I hate the prospect of buying more headers to see what might work.....
Old 06-23-2014, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Headers

I modified a set of raw headers, then painted them with Eastwood stainless paint. In order to get the stainless to lay on smooth I cut it with xylene and sprayed ONE THIN coat. They lasted about 5 years before the collector rusted from the inside. Outside still didn't look too bad. If you lay it on right out of the can you can see brush marks and if you spray it too heavy it will peel.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, I guess I'm really more worried about whether I can grind away the coating and get a good weld. I guess in the end I'm assuming the weld will eventually rust and the coating near it will start to fail.

Just not sure what else to do other than keep buying sets of headers hoping to find a set that works.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure of your budget but I know there are places that can re-coat headers with ceramic coating. You could just get the steel versions, mod them and then get them coated.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, BBK didn't offer this header un-coated. I called and asked thinking I could sell of the coated ones and get some of my money back. I thought I could notch my frame and make this work, so it's been a year since I bought them.....

I'm back at the build and now just don't like how it'll fit without being tweaked.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

Just and FYI, after looking at couple of additional options I decided that I'd go ahead and modify my current headers and they fit really nice otherwise.

Talked to Jet-Hot and the cost to strip and recoat with a lifetime warranty would put the total cost of these headers at about what some of the others cost anyway.

Tech tip of the day, Liquid Drano (I used the gel type) dissolves the ceramic coating in minutes......rinse with water.

No longer stressed about header fit or needing to cut into the frame.

Quick Reply: Modify ceramic coated headers?