Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
If you can send me a PM with your phone number I'll have someone in Tech Service contact you if you want to swap it out. If you don't want to bother going through that process then you can just bend the rod towards the rear of the car and see if you can achieve alignment without replacing the hanger.
I'll probably just bend it, I'm running the Monte SS tailpipes so there isn't a lot of stress on this hanger, the ones at the tailpipes hold most of it. Thanks for your help though, it's nice to actually be able to talk to someone that has a hand in things.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

I've been giving some thought to requesting that the install photos be loaded on our website so that they can be viewed in a large color format that can be zoomed to see more detail...

That sounds like the ideal solution right there.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

1" setback mounts plus hooker headers = success on my buid. Check it out here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1795862-gbody-5-3l-lsa-blown-conversion-holley-swap-kit-address-your-questions-thread.html#post18902090

Thanks
Dave
Old 07-27-2015, 09:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

How does the ceramic coating hold up on the hooker headers? I guess I'm wondering how good the quality of it is, I know some ceramic coating is better then others. The ceramic coated headers fit my budget better then the stainless, and my car gets less then 1k miles a year.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
How does the ceramic coating hold up on the hooker headers? I guess I'm wondering how good the quality of it is, I know some ceramic coating is better then others. The ceramic coated headers fit my budget better then the stainless, and my car gets less then 1k miles a year.
Some people will say that coating applied by one of the specialty shops holds up better than what is provided by header manufacturers but I personally have never experienced great long term performance out of ceramic coating from any source and will never buy anything but stainless ever again. You also have the option of buying the headers in painted mild steel and having them ceramic coated at a facility of your choice if you feel more comfortable going that route. We all have budgetary limitations, so I understand where you are coming from.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Default problems with el camino exhaust

I've been following this thread and pulled the trigger and purchased the stainless 2.5 exhaust for my 1983 el camino thru summitt. It took about 2 weeks to finally get to my house. I purchased this system so that in the future I could just buy the headers cross member and motor mounts for a LS swap down the road.
Currently I have a 350 with proflo edelbrock efi 13 yrs old. It still runs great just some maintenence issues. So in the down time waiting for the exhaust to show up I pulled the motor and resealed the intake, timing cover, pan etc and sent the injectors to be cleaned etc.

So I put the motor back in yesterday and started on the exhaust today and its about 12" short so I'm thinking my el camino must be longer than the monte carlo etc. I noticed holleys El Camino Verde had the mufflers forward from were this new setup is to compensate for the difference maybe? Just wanted to post in case someone else was thinking about this for their el camino.
The exhaust looks amazing, mufflers are nicely tig welded and awesome factory style hangers just wished it fit. Going to contact hooley/hooker tomorrow and see what can be done.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview-20150825_150503.jpg   New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview-20150825_150510.jpg   New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview-20150825_150447.jpg   New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview-20150825_150525.jpg  
Old 08-25-2015, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fulltilt
I've been following this thread and pulled the trigger and purchased the stainless 2.5 exhaust for my 1983 el camino thru summitt. It took about 2 weeks to finally get to my house. I purchased this system so that in the future I could just buy the headers cross member and motor mounts for a LS swap down the road.
Currently I have a 350 with proflo edelbrock efi 13 yrs old. It still runs great just some maintenence issues. So in the down time waiting for the exhaust to show up I pulled the motor and resealed the intake, timing cover, pan etc and sent the injectors to be cleaned etc.

So I put the motor back in yesterday and started on the exhaust today and its about 12" short so I'm thinking my el camino must be longer than the monte carlo etc. I noticed holleys El Camino Verde had the mufflers forward from were this new setup is to compensate for the difference maybe? Just wanted to post in case someone else was thinking about this for their el camino.
The exhaust looks amazing, mufflers are nicely tig welded and awesome factory style hangers just wished it fit. Going to contact hooley/hooker tomorrow and see what can be done.
I sent you a reply to your PM...the longer wheelbase of the El Camino was not accounted for in the current design of the Hooker G-body exhaust system and as such is excluded from the application on our website (it's also excluded on Summit's website). We will eventually bring one into the shop and do what is needed to be able to produce an El Camino specific system.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

What is the thickness of pipe used on the ss and ceramic coated long tube headers?
Old 08-25-2015, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
What is the thickness of pipe used on the ss and ceramic coated long tube headers?
The headers are constructed from 18g material.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone else had issue with driver side header being too high for exhaust pipe to fit though hump in cross member to align properly? Passenger side is dead on . Driver’s side is ½ in to ¾ off form being dead center of header.. Motor is perfectly level in car and everything else seems to be dead on.. Only issue I have found so far (beside coil hit A/C box on install..lol .Good clearance after engine was in ). Car is 80 Malibu with LQ9.. Started the car the other day and runs perfect exhaust was only project left..Figures right ..lol
Old 09-08-2015, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dirtyratt
Has anyone else had issue with driver side header being too high for exhaust pipe to fit though hump in cross member to align properly? Passenger side is dead on . Driver’s side is ½ in to ¾ off form being dead center of header.. Motor is perfectly level in car and everything else seems to be dead on.. Only issue I have found so far (beside coil hit A/C box on install..lol .Good clearance after engine was in ). Car is 80 Malibu with LQ9.. Started the car the other day and runs perfect exhaust was only project left..Figures right ..lol
The alignment disparity between the driver side header collector and the crossmember is accomodated by the incorporation of a drop section in the left inlet tube of the Hooker exhaust system. If you are going to use another type of exhaust, you'll need to fabricate something similar.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This winter I plan on switching from my 1" setback plates and f-body headers to the hooker mounts and headers. I apologize if this has already been covered but I didn't see it just skimming this thread. Has anyone used the hooker engine side mounts with solid mounts? I Currently have these mounts that are the same as stock clamshell dimensions and would like to stick with them. Any reason they shouldn't work?

Old 09-09-2015, 06:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Horsepwraddict
This winter I plan on switching from my 1" setback plates and f-body headers to the hooker mounts and headers. I apologize if this has already been covered but I didn't see it just skimming this thread. Has anyone used the hooker engine side mounts with solid mounts? I Currently have these mounts that are the same as stock clamshell dimensions and would like to stick with them. Any reason they shouldn't work?

They should work in theory, but production tolerances in all the mounting components and the car frame itself should cause you to be prepared to experience a PITA installation
Old 09-09-2015, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

The alignment disparity between the driver side header collector and the crossmember is accomodated by the incorporation of a drop section in the left inlet tube of the Hooker exhaust system. If you are going to use another type of exhaust, you'll need to fabricate something similar.
Ok thanks that could be the issue as I'm reusing my pypes exhaust which was new and I didn't want to waist ..Just to make sure I have the Z bracket (12647HKR) frame adapter kit installed right ..Was the intention for this z bracket to sit on top of lower frame rail or to be bolted on bottom side? Just want to make sure I'm not losing anything there.. Thanks as the instructions never really said..
Old 09-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtyratt
.Just to make sure I have the Z bracket (12647HKR) frame adapter kit installed right ..Was the intention for this z bracket to sit on top of lower frame rail or to be bolted on bottom side? Just want to make sure I'm not losing anything there.. Thanks as the instructions never really said..
I would like some clarification on this as well as I purchased the crossmember with extra bracket for installation in a pre 84' G body. I glazed over the instructions but did not see enough detail to make it a no brainer. Can you provide Todd?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2015, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

The Z-bracket does indeed get attached on top of the bottom frame rail...the proper configuration of the crossmember assembly with the Z-bracket attached to it will look like this...
Old 09-13-2015, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Thank you!
Old 10-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First post and quick question, I don't recall seeing it asked in the thread. I have a column shifter and bench seats in my '86 Monte Carlo SS. Will the headers interfere with the shift mechanism? I have a stock 305/200R4 and will be using a 4L65E behind a LS3. I like the old school look of a shifter on the tree. Thanks for a very educational thread.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by upflying
First post and quick question, I don't recall seeing it asked in the thread. I have a column shifter and bench seats in my '86 Monte Carlo SS. Will the headers interfere with the shift mechanism? I have a stock 305/200R4 and will be using a 4L65E behind a LS3. I like the old school look of a shifter on the tree. Thanks for a very educational thread.
You have a complete column shifted set-up, or a floor shifter with the column mounted gear indicator/pointer?
Old 10-17-2015, 09:20 AM
Launching!

You have a complete column shifted set-up, or a floor shifter with the column mounted gear indicator/pointer?
In a G body this shouldn't make a difference. Both set ups use the column interlock linkage required for key lock, neutral safety and reverse lights. Whether the car is a floor shift or not does not change said linkage geometry. GM used the same set up for both versions.

Quick Reply: New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview