Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Porsche swap!! 911 996 w/ ls6 v8

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Muffler time!! Just some stock mufflers with porsche "big oval" tips!! Also, swapped out my ls6 manifolds for the shorter ls2 manifolds to bring the exhaust up about 6 inches.

I'll have some installed pics later, tips dont exactly match the openings in the bumper bc the "big ovals" are substantially bigger then the stock tips. I'll post up a vid too, sounds pretty damn good!

Just ordered these babies to hopefully cure my cooling issues!! Its a 55gph inline helper water pump and a remote bleeder i'll put on the low pressure side going into the tstat housing.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Wow, what a nightmare getting that cooling system right is.

But badass car.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Where's the video!?!?!

So...give me your opinion, what's general maintenance and working on the motor looking like, given the packaging restraints of the Porsche body? Also, do you know what kind of weight difference there is...any chance you weighed the car before and after?

I've got a Z06 and am itching to add a 996 driver...strongly considering this route.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:25 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I just want to test drive the final product. Lol
Old 10-23-2014, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Where's the video!?!?!

So...give me your opinion, what's general maintenance and working on the motor looking like, given the packaging restraints of the Porsche body? Also, do you know what kind of weight difference there is...any chance you weighed the car before and after?

I've got a Z06 and am itching to add a 996 driver...strongly considering this route.
I saw a 996 Twin Turbo with no motor in Orange County craigslist for about $20k. Might be a great platform for a swap. The gearbox will be well suited for high torque / horsepower as will brakes. I think this engine would be lighter, too than the turbo by a good bit.

Doug
Old 10-23-2014, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RC000E
Where's the video!?!?!

General maintenance will be easy and much cheaper: Oil filter, oil fill, spark plugs, air filter, coolant are all easily accessible. I changed the exhaust manifolds out in under 30 mins. There is nothing under the car to obstuct getting to everything. Also consider a stock m96 takes 9qts of $9+ oil and a $20 filter element and a $90 air/oil separator that likes to go bad all the time. All for 285hp and even less tq to the flywheel

The GM setup is 50lbs lighter than the m96, everyone that has done this swap has had to install coilovers because the rear sits up higher after the swap. See pics earlier in the thread of how high mine sat up and that is with lowering springs.

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I just want to test drive the final product. Lol
Me too!! lol......might be able to go for a ride since i'm in houston

Originally Posted by DW SD
I saw a 996 Twin Turbo with no motor in Orange County craigslist for about $20k. Might be a great platform for a swap. The gearbox will be well suited for high torque / horsepower as will brakes. I think this engine would be lighter, too than the turbo by a good bit.

Doug
Considering i've seen turbo transmission's go for $10-$15k used, that is a good price if the body is complete and not damaged. Anything that needs replacing is very expensive and porsche will nickel/dime you to death on even the smallest stuff. Best to find a wrecked one for your needs that you can just pick stuff off of if you do need missing pieces.

UPDATE!!

I finally got a pressure tester from autozone and it helped me fix a few things and maybe......hopefully cure my cooling issues!!

I installed the pressure tester and pumped it up to 15psi (cap pressure) and:
1) One of my hoses were leaking so i tightened the clamps up till it stopped
2) After the hose fix my inline pump started leaking, turns out the bracket on the pump i removed also held the pump together, so i re-installed! lol. Stopped leaking after that.
3) Found the top hose on the passenger side radiator leaking a little bit, tightened it up and BOOM!! Found that the passenger side radiator has a crack in it.

Soo, I picked up a new passenger side radiator and also will be picking up a gt3 style center (3rd) radiator as well!! Three radiators and two water pumps better keep this bitch ice cold!! LOL

I'm going to install the new radiators this weekend and hopefully have good news.....and if good news, there will be new vids!!
Old 10-24-2014, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Glad to see you're hunting down the gremlins. Hope the radiators solve your problems.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jerrad
Glad to see you're hunting down the gremlins. Hope the radiators solve your problems.
Thanks, this cooling issue has been trying to say the least!!

******UPDATE*******

wooooowhooooooo 185 degree cruise temps!!!

Took it for a quick 30 min drive, stayed nice and cool! Time to put her back together and really go cruisin!

Pics and vids to come!!
Old 10-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Congrats, bro. Been watching this build, and it's nice to see you've won. Can't wait to see it in action!!
Old 11-02-2014, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

congrats
Old 11-03-2014, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

sub'd
Old 11-03-2014, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Badass
Old 11-03-2014, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Got the bumpers back on, aligned, and the lights hooked up! Rear bumper is mocked up, not sure if i want to mold it back on or racecar band fastners or racecar dzeus fastners. lol. Forgot to put the shock top nuts on so i'm in search of some odd ball metric crap....m12x1.0 super fine thread! Of course no nut/bolt shop is open on the weekend!

Still need to buy the universal lokar ls throttle cable so i can go WOT! Then i'll get a final tune and ready to have fun!! I sat in some heavy traffic and got up to 201 degrees so the cooling system is working good!
Old 11-03-2014, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Car looks amazing man. I'm in love with the color.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Been following your build!!! I just picked up a 2001 996 convert that was a theft recovery, they stole the engine. So I have been gathering parts and building a LS2 403 stroker with CNC'ed LS3 heads. Waiting on my RH kit, but I will be running a LS3 water pump and power steering pump. F&@$ the electric water and power steering. And I am not worried about cutting the rear of the car up to fit things. So I am sure I will be asking you some electrical questions. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 11-05-2014, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Nice!
Old 11-05-2014, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Got my $1 + $8 shipping shock top nuts ordered!!lol. Damn oddball metric crap!

Also recieved my new oil dipstick, had a mishap when putting on the new ls2 manifolds.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Woohoo!! 100 miles on the swap so far.....so good.

Night pic of my LED tails and license plate lights. And you can see my "wide ovals"......porsche talk there! lol. Those are the exhaust tips that the dealer wants $450 each for!!

Old 11-07-2014, 06:40 AM
Staging Lane

Looking good, it's a great feeling when you finally get to put a few miles on a project!
Old 11-07-2014, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

Could you please tell me how you are getting your factory tach to work? The porsche ran a 58X reluctor wheel and you are running 24X.

Quick Reply: Another Porsche swap!! 911 996 w/ ls6 v8