Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Porsche swap!! 911 996 w/ ls6 v8

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome! That's got to feel great. I can relate. I know some of the Corvette guys had problems with their engines losing oil pressure under hard cornering (track duty).

I know some use accumulators to boost oil pressure when oil sloshes to expose the oil pump pickup (under high cornering loads).

Did you install one? Will you consider it?

I envision a similar project one day (either a 911 or Cayman LsX transplant). I'd definitely use mine for track duty and would either install an accumulator or a dry sump system.

Great job!

Doug
Old 11-09-2014, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4LUX
Been following your build!!! I just picked up a 2001 996 convert that was a theft recovery, they stole the engine. So I have been gathering parts and building a LS2 403 stroker with CNC'ed LS3 heads. Waiting on my RH kit, but I will be running a LS3 water pump and power steering pump. F&@$ the electric water and power steering. And I am not worried about cutting the rear of the car up to fit things. So I am sure I will be asking you some electrical questions. Thanks in advance!!!
Good luck and i look forward to your build thread!! I ended up using both the ls3 pump and an inline eletric pump, got it staying at a solid 185 cruising around! You really dont need power steering on these cars with the weight being in the rear.

Originally Posted by E36LUVA
Nice!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by AussieDan
Looking good, it's a great feeling when you finally get to put a few miles on a project!
Oh yeah! Get to work out all the little bugs now. I found on hard shifts the upper shift linkage likes to pop out of the trans bracket so i secured it and have solid tight shifts now.

Could you please tell me how you are getting your factory tach to work? The porsche ran a 58X reluctor wheel and you are running 24X.
I believe you just tap into the ls crank sensor wire but for the time being i'm using my android phone with torque app to monitor revs and coolant temp. Now that i have the car running i can work on the smaller details and get it closer to 100%.

Originally Posted by DW SD
Awesome! That's got to feel great. I can relate. I know some of the Corvette guys had problems with their engines losing oil pressure under hard cornering (track duty).

I know some use accumulators to boost oil pressure when oil sloshes to expose the oil pump pickup (under high cornering loads).

Did you install one? Will you consider it?

I envision a similar project one day (either a 911 or Cayman LsX transplant). I'd definitely use mine for track duty and would either install an accumulator or a dry sump system.

Great job!

Doug
Hmmm, i didnt really consider it becasue i knew it would just be a nice street cruiser. I did get the batwing oil pan which supposedly has baffles for the g forces. I havent really monitored oil pressure in turns yet, just happy its running!! lol. Good luck on your project sounds like fun!
Old 11-14-2014, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Well i have about 200 miles on the swap now. I got the shock top nuts on so the body is actually secured to the shocks now! FYI for anyone scouring the internet for the nut size as i did.... Porsche 911 996 Bilstein PSS9 shock nut size is M12x1.0 !!

Here's a short idle and rev vid! I promise to get some good running vids when i borrow my buds go pro. Till then you have to watch crappy cell phone vids!!
Old 11-15-2014, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Got er up to 300 miles now! Throttle cable is enroute and should arrive next week, then i can go and get a completion tune, as this base tune is eye watering!!

Parked in the weeds at a local car show, really shows how small it is. lol

Old 11-15-2014, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Looks and sounds awesome! I can't wait to see her rip on video!!
Old 11-20-2014, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Are you using the Porsche ECM or the GM ECM to control the cooling fans? FieroFly is using the Porsche ECM and stated that it has worked well. Just trying to get another opinion.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Are you using the Porsche ECM or the GM ECM to control the cooling fans? FieroFly is using the Porsche ECM and stated that it has worked well. Just trying to get another opinion.
I figured since the gm ecu knows what the gm motor likes better temp wise i ran the wires from the GM ecu to my custom fuse block relay to the stock porsche wires going to the fans. Also when your car is tuned you can have it set at any temp you want for the fans to come on. (for instance, changing the fans to come on at 160 when you put a 160 tstat in) It would probably cost an arm and a leg to get the porsche DME tuned for anything!! I'd say keep it simple and use the gm ecu to control all engine/cooling systems.

I also got my 72" (6 foot) lokar universal ls throttle cable....too short! I will still use the lokar outer sheath/mounting points and just run a longer wire inside.....it will just have more exposed wire. Just an fyi, from the pedal going straight back to the engine to the throttle body, going through my rear access panel behind the back seats is about 11 feet!! So you drive by cable guys plan on making your own throttle cable!! And thats not snaking around or hiding it thats a straight shot front to back so if you want a more concealed look i'd do everything with a string first then make it from that measurement.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by txstormtrooper
I figured since the gm ecu knows what the gm motor likes better temp wise i ran the wires from the GM ecu to my custom fuse block relay to the stock porsche wires going to the fans. Also when your car is tuned you can have it set at any temp you want for the fans to come on. (for instance, changing the fans to come on at 160 when you put a 160 tstat in) It would probably cost an arm and a leg to get the porsche DME tuned for anything!! I'd say keep it simple and use the gm ecu to control all engine/cooling systems.

I also got my 72" (6 foot) lokar universal ls throttle cable....too short! I will still use the lokar outer sheath/mounting points and just run a longer wire inside.....it will just have more exposed wire. Just an fyi, from the pedal going straight back to the engine to the throttle body, going through my rear access panel behind the back seats is about 11 feet!! So you drive by cable guys plan on making your own throttle cable!! And thats not snaking around or hiding it thats a straight shot front to back so if you want a more concealed look i'd do everything with a string first then make it from that measurement.
We are on the same page, I am with you the GM ECU is running the engine and should run the cooling fans. I bought the RH kit and their kind of sort of directions, tell you in a round about way how to wire it up. It sounds like the Porsche fans are set up to switch with the negative leg, so they tell you to run another set of relays between the GM harness cooling fan relays and the Porsche relays to switch the polarity from positive switching to negative switching. Does that sound like what you did??
Old 11-30-2014, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

There is an on temp and an off temp on the fan controller circuitry. I don't think it goes below 185F. I forget exactly. You will want the on temp and off temp higher than your t-stat closing temp. Otherwise the fan will run indefinitely.
On the T-stat, normally it is partially open for a 10 degree range or so. The hottest (and above) it is wide open.

Doug
Old 12-04-2014, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DW SD
There is an on temp and an off temp on the fan controller circuitry. I don't think it goes below 185F. I forget exactly. You will want the on temp and off temp higher than your t-stat closing temp. Otherwise the fan will run indefinitely.
On the T-stat, normally it is partially open for a 10 degree range or so. The hottest (and above) it is wide open.

Doug
i think mine kicks on and off around 190, not sure exactly but i know they click on and off and not on all the time.

Just happy i got that cooling system figured out! Stays at a constant 185-190!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by txstormtrooper
i think mine kicks on and off around 190, not sure exactly but i know they click on and off and not on all the time.

Just happy i got that cooling system figured out! Stays at a constant 185-190!
as long as your fan is cutting off and not running while you are driving down the road, it sounds setup well.

In my case, it'd come on once as it warmed up and then never shut off, even at high speed on the freeway because the shutoff temp was too high (above thermostat closing temp)....

Glad yours is working right!

Doug
Old 12-08-2014, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Short vid from a car cruise, not sure why it looks like it was shot with a potato. Looks good on my computer then when i upload looks shitty.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WANT!!!!
Bad *** build, and thanks for all the info. One of these days I want a 911 and I expect to blow the motor and swap in an LS so thanks again!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Default Wiring instructions for using both pcm

Again nice build, .Did you get any instructions about the wiring from Renegade. Since using both pcm's what wires had to be merged.?Which ones need to be combined to make everything functioned together. Thanks for any info you can give me.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rat_rod_russell
WANT!!!!
Bad *** build, and thanks for all the info. One of these days I want a 911 and I expect to blow the motor and swap in an LS so thanks again!
Thanks! If i'm ever out that way on my way to austin maybe i'll swing in and you can check it out!

Originally Posted by hayabusa
Again nice build, .Did you get any instructions about the wiring from Renegade. Since using both pcm's what wires had to be merged.?Which ones need to be combined to make everything functioned together. Thanks for any info you can give me.
They are pretty much 2 separate systems running on their own.

The GM ecu controls all functions for the motor via a standalone harness that i made out of a stock harness. De-pinned everything not related to running the motor.

The Porsche DME is used for all the gauges and other functions. So i de-pinned the porsche harness of all the engine function sensors except for the gauges i needed like the engine coolant and oil pressure.

Just know that i have a couple duplicate sensors for each system, coolant sensor, 1 for the GM ecu and 1 for the porsche gauges. Oil pressure for the porsche gauge and my model GM ecu doesnt need the oil pressure.

***UPDATE***

PatG doing his thing on the dyno!!

If the car would have been a 1/4" lower it would of been sitting on the dyno!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Default Wiring

Thanks very much.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hayabusa
Thanks very much.
Also there is not a merging of the harnesses for the starter or alternator. Those go from the porsche harness to the gm components. And i let the gm ecu control the fans. I simply unplugged the signal wire from the porsche relay for the fans and plugged in the gm signal wire. And for the fuel pump i ran the gm signal wire to the porsche fuse panel under the dash to the fuel pump relay.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:10 AM
Launching!

I love that this car is up and running. Congrats!
Old 01-02-2015, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by White Out
I love that this car is up and running. Congrats!
Thanks buddy! You helped me figure out alot of stuff! lol.

And as for performance it put down 4XXhp/4XXtq to the wheels!! I also have a little room to grow with the stock throttle body, stock intake mani, stock exhaust manifolds, 2-1/4" exhaust piping, and stock porsche mufflers.

Also found out the fun way that i do have an LSD transaxle!
Old 01-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Yeah, that has to be a ton of fun with 4xx whp/tq. Finding out you have a factory LSD the fun way is awesome. That was how I found out too.

Quick Reply: Another Porsche swap!! 911 996 w/ ls6 v8