Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6l80E trans swap questions speartech or?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6l80E trans swap questions speartech or?

Ok I have bought a 2006 vet LS2 & a 2009 6l80E trans.

So far I have talked to John at Speartech and he has a tune and harness package that will make these work together and have tap shift capability.

He also has a gauge cluster that has the gear indicator built into it.

My issue is his gauge cluster altough very nice does not fit the theme of the 1955 chevy I'm building. If he offered a black face and white I would just use his setup. Dakota digital makes a very nice 55 gauge package but their tech line said they cant talk to the new 6l80e or 6l90e transmissions so they are out. Are there anymore options out there to get the gear selection data to a display? Is it available thru the OBDII port? I have the wireless obdii reader and dash cam app.

Last question are there any other sponsors that have all the functions that John is offering for this setup in a harness tune package? So far he has my business.

Thanks
Rocky

This is the dash I have mocked up using some of the old parts of the original panel. Like I said if John offered his gauges in black face all would be solved.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am very intrigued with this. I am brewing a plan to upgrade to a later 6.2 and 6L80 or 6L90.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speartech always .I have the setup from him with the new style shifter with no gear indicator . not a big deal . anytime i used the car in manual mode i more or less knew what gear i was in either by memory or by listening to the car or looking at the tack . it is no different than driving a standard shift car -you always know what gear you are in..Speartech was nice enough to let me come by while on the power tour ,he swapped out ecm's and gave me a tune to get me back home .I am sure somewhere down the line there will be some indicators coming as there is a growing need for them.JOHN
Old 06-26-2014, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks John I'm leaning toward not seeing the manual mode as you say may not really be needed. My boss informed me she didn't like my design any really doesn't like this one lol. I might have to buy the Xbox from John and keep it original.
Are you running cruise control or planning too? I need to understand what I need to plan for with this setup.
Thanks
Rocky
Old 06-26-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume it is a column shift ? I was really loving the thumb shifting especially through the mountains
Old 06-26-2014, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The original gear selection may work just fine for the 6L80. I kept the 1965 Buick Skylark column shift for mine. I have P, R, N, D and D1. You could use S for sport mode in place of D1 or maybe the original L in place of the D1.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by john 67
I assume it is a column shift ? I was really loving the thumb shifting especially through the mountains
Yes I am planing to use factory column and auto shifter. I'm having an original steering wheel custom built to 16 dia. I'm currently trying to figure out paddle shifters that look original lol using Johns toggle setup. I've consider the original horn ring but that complicates things .
Old 08-03-2015, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Ok guys I was set on going with speartech based on your inputs. Now I am seeing PSI is offering a setup for the 6l80. Its cheaper than speartechs and appears to be complete with a fuse and relay panel including fan relays. What does speartech harness come with as far as fuse relay panel. I'm intersested because located the ecm behind the inner fender on my nomad and would like to mount the fuse relay panel next to it on the fender sing same bracket. See pics below.

Also I would like to know if the speartech toggle switch and box tap shifter will function with a PSI tune and harness? Anyone using this?
Thanks
Rocky

Name:  image_79.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  347.1 KB

Name:  image_80.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  243.7 KB
Old 08-03-2015, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

BP Automotive also sells 6L80 harnesses or at least can re-work an existing one.

Quick Reply: 6l80E trans swap questions speartech or?