Sponsored by:

LQ4 Purchase Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 Purchase Question

Hello from Texas!

I'm building a 66 C10 truck and looking to do a resto-mod build with an LQ4/4L80E combo. I've dabbled in the auto scene on and off for the past 25yrs, but always in the naturally aspirated based engines. I'm pretty new to the LS scene and just want to make sure I have everything lined up so that I don't spend the money on something I don't need.....or forget to get a critical part.

Goal for this truck is to later down the road do a very small forced air induction system....nothing too crazy. Just looking for a 600-650rwhp street vehicle to drive daily. I'm not looking to spray it.

Ideally before the motor goes in, I plan to change the rod bolts as I've read it's best to do that from the get-go. Cam/L92 heads/intake and tune to come later.....probably next year.

What I need to know is this: What do I need immediately to get this combo up and running? From what I gather:

-mounts

-Harness
do I get the stock harness or do I get an aftermarket built one?

-ecm
I believe it needs to be flashed?

-Front accessories
pump, alternator, brackets. I plan on adding AC later so do I need the compressor now? Would it be better/cheaper to leave off the accessories/brackets and just run an aftermarket bracket and with a stock alternator?

What am I missing? Thanks for helping out this newbie!
Old 09-09-2014, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChrisCoufal

Ideally before the motor goes in, I plan to change the rod bolts as I've read it's best to do that from the get-go. Cam/L92 heads/intake and tune to come later.....probably next year.

What I need to know is this: What do I need immediately to get this combo up and running? From what I gather:

-mounts

-Harness
do I get the stock harness or do I get an aftermarket built one?

-ecm
I believe it needs to be flashed?

-Front accessories
pump, alternator, brackets. I plan on adding AC later so do I need the compressor now? Would it be better/cheaper to leave off the accessories/brackets and just run an aftermarket bracket and with a stock alternator?
upgrading rod bolts without resizing the rods is not a good idea , leave them alone unless your taking the short block apart.

yes you will need mounts

Harness can go either way , if your handy with wiring you can convert whatever harness you have if not you can send out the harness to be converted or buy one already converted from a vendor.

pcm will need a minimum of a mail order tune/reflash and to have the VATS (vehicle anti theft system) removed , dyno tune from reputable ls specific tuner would be best.

you will have more room than most ls swaps in your truck engine bay so seek out specific info from truck swaps as to what accessories you absolutely have to change or would be beneficial , truck intake gets swapped to ls1/ls6 etc... most of the time in cars but you will have plenty of clearance for the truck intake , some still swap it for aesthetic reasons..

What transmission do you plan to run ? if something non computer controlled you will need to adapt it to the engine , also you will need to know if you have the early longer crank version of the 6.0 I believe to know if you need a convertor adaptor or not. I haven't done an ls swap but have read around here enough to be dangerous lol so seek info from those who have done the swap your looking to do - I would suggest reading a lot in the conversions and hybrids section and likely starting a similar post there , every platform known to man has been swapped and documented there and it is crazy how active and informative that section is , check it out you will see what I mean.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. Yes I am planning to run the 4L80E transmission. As for the block, I read about the older models and the crank issue. I was looking for an 04-07 with less than 100K.

Thanks again
Old 09-09-2014, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

1. You will need sbc frame stands too if you don't already have them on the truck. I think 6 cyl are different.
2. electric fuel pump and corvette fuel filter/regulator combo and tank return line or possibly and upgraded tank/ fuel pump combo depending on budget.
3. factory a/c compressor is low mount, hit the frame and runs on its own belt. You can run without it or buy a high mount kit.
4. you need a th400/4l80e slip yoke and depending on engine/trans location, a driveshaft mod
5. truck brackets will work, but are not pretty
6. factory truck manifolds will probably hit the frame in a couple of places without rolling the frame a little. headers or ls3 manifolds usually work the best.

Other than above mentioned things plus what I've listed its a pretty easy swap.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Since you didn't say what type of forced induction I'd hold off on a header purchase and run manifolds, because they can be pricey.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lsxRanger94
1. You will need sbc frame stands too if you don't already have them on the truck. I think 6 cyl are different.
2. electric fuel pump and corvette fuel filter/regulator combo and tank return line or possibly and upgraded tank/ fuel pump combo depending on budget.
3. factory a/c compressor is low mount, hit the frame and runs on its own belt. You can run without it or buy a high mount kit.
4. you need a th400/4l80e slip yoke and depending on engine/trans location, a driveshaft mod
5. truck brackets will work, but are not pretty
6. factory truck manifolds will probably hit the frame in a couple of places without rolling the frame a little. headers or ls3 manifolds usually work the best.

Other than above mentioned things plus what I've listed its a pretty easy swap.
Yea sorry I forgot to add some of the basic details. I sold the current 454/T400 combo out of the truck. Plan is to run a Boyd's EFI tank. The truck didn't have AC currently and later on down the road I will be adding the Vintage Air or similar setup that includes everything bolt-on ready. The truck brackets look like they mounted everything up high and so I figured I could probably find something low-mount. As far as manifolds.....I planned on running them for now until I could get an aftermarket set of headers. I still needed to make up my mind on SC vs TC the entire system.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

So essentially then I could just pick up an alternator and aftermarket bracket and not worry about all that other stuff? Then I just need to get the ECM and source a harness?
Old 09-09-2014, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

I know 67-72 bbc frame stands are different than sbc's and you would need sbc's. Don't know about what you have though. Pretty much If you get a complete pullout(manifolds, alt, p/s pump, starter, harness, and PCM), engine mounts, pcm flash, Harness mod, and fuel system are all you need other than things like fluids and hoses, misc fasteners and hook up exhaust. I assume you kept your driveshaft, because it may need lengthened or shortened depending on engine trans placement. Basically a bolt in swap.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

I know this is a next series of trucks but it will give you a better idea.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episode/...p#.VA9jvT90zZ4
Old 09-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

I purchased a complete 6.0 and 4L60E trans today. I go to pick it up Friday. It's coming out of a 07 Silverado w/ 160K. Should be a great starting point for my 66 C10 build!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 12:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChrisCoufal
I purchased a complete 6.0 and 4L60E trans today. I go to pick it up Friday. It's coming out of a 07 Silverado w/ 160K. Should be a great starting point for my 66 C10 build!!!
It should be awesome! Keep us updated.

Quick Reply: LQ4 Purchase Question