Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Cooling issue

Car is 98 Z. Has 383 stroker. MWC front bumper support and Chris 1313 ram air. So the front bumper is open and huge amounts of air going through. Here is the issue. When I get on the highway and drive down the interstate the car gets HOTTER instead of getting cooler. So as the airflow increases its going up in temperature around 8-10 degrees rather than down. When I get off the highway and drive around town it gets cooler. Makes no sense to me. It was around 85 degrees today, Running down the interstate coolant was around 223. That is without AC on. Would most likely overheat with AC on. Car does the opposite of how it should. Any ideas?

Running Mezeire EWP with 180 thermostat
Anti-freeze distilled mix
Has new air dam on it,.
Fans are running on high. I have a switch.
Stock fan/shroud
Old 05-01-2024, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 98LS1auto
Car is 98 Z. Has 383 stroker. MWC front bumper support and Chris 1313 ram air. So the front bumper is open and huge amounts of air going through. Here is the issue. When I get on the highway and drive down the interstate the car gets HOTTER instead of getting cooler. So as the airflow increases its going up in temperature around 8-10 degrees rather than down. When I get off the highway and drive around town it gets cooler. Makes no sense to me. It was around 85 degrees today, Running down the interstate coolant was around 223. That is without AC on. Would most likely overheat with AC on. Car does the opposite of how it should. Any ideas?

Running Mezeire EWP with 180 thermostat
Anti-freeze distilled mix
Has new air dam on it,.
Fans are running on high. I have a switch.
Stock fan/shroud
two things I can think of are:
1. Electric water pumps generally don’t do as well at higher sustained rpm than stock belt driven pumps from my experience

2. Try turning the fans off on the highway and see if that improves your highway temps.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by madmike90
two things I can think of are:
1. Electric water pumps generally don’t do as well at higher sustained rpm than stock belt driven pumps from my experience

2. Try turning the fans off on the highway and see if that improves your highway temps.
My suspicion has been the water pump all along. I'd been thinking about going back to the stock water pump. I think I'll just do that. My luck though I'll spend 200 on a pump and that won't matter a bit. Lol
Old 05-05-2024, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 217 Likes on 163 Posts

I would try a new thermostat before throwing $200 at a water pump. Yours could be stuck closed.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bob570
I would try a new thermostat before throwing $200 at a water pump. Yours could be stuck closed.
No its opening. On the electric water pump the thermostat is inside the top hose connection on the pump. Hose gets hot and plus that is where my water temp gauge is tapped into. If it wasn't opening the gauge would never read.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

All air is purged out of the system??
Old 05-07-2024, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Factory radiator ducting removed?
Old 05-07-2024, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

First two things I would check. One, make sure the coolant level is good and the radiator cap is holding pressure.
Second, I would turn the fans off at highway speeds. I forget the speed, but if you look at the factory calibration, they're set to shut off at around 40~ mph. I think at some point, them spinning becomes more of a restriction than the incoming air.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Were are any shrouding or plastic pieces removed that direct air towards/thru the rad? The way these cars work is the air dam creates a high pressure area in front of the radiator, which relative to the engine bay(low pressure) makes the air go thru the rad. This only works if the air cannot get past the radiator though. Make sure to seal up all of this area including above the radiator as well.
I learned my lesson with this when I had to chop up the front of my third gen trans am for the intercooler, external trans cooler and stood up radiator. Would overheat on the highway until I made pieces that blocked air from getting around radiator.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wlink14
Were are any shrouding or plastic pieces removed that direct air towards/thru the rad? The way these cars work is the air dam creates a high pressure area in front of the radiator, which relative to the engine bay(low pressure) makes the air go thru the rad. This only works if the air cannot get past the radiator though. Make sure to seal up all of this area including above the radiator as well.
I learned my lesson with this when I had to chop up the front of my third gen trans am for the intercooler, external trans cooler and stood up radiator. Would overheat on the highway until I made pieces that blocked air from getting around radiator.
I'm running the Chris 1313 ram air. Also running a MWC front bumper support. So both holes on the side of the bumper are wide open. There is a huge amount of air going up intothe radiator area now. I'm not sure how and with what you could even seal around the radiator with. It shouldn't matter with the amount of air going into that area now. I wouldn't think.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Factory radiator ducting removed?
There isn't anything factory on my car anymore. See below pics.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

You're missing a cover in this area. You must seal the entire engine bay from the area in front of the radiator, and make the only path for air to get into the engine bay thru the radiator.

Y2K_Frenzy (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The lack of radiator ducting is hurting you. There may be air entering through the holes in the bumper, but it’s not enough and it certainly isn’t flowing through the radiator efficiently.

If you put the factory ducting back in, your issues would be solved. If you want to ditch the factory bottom feeding air dam and ducting, you’ll need a larger opening in the front bumper and create ducting to seal the bumper opening to the radiator inlet.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wlink14

You're missing a cover in this area. You must seal the entire engine bay from the area in front of the radiator, and make the only path for air to get into the engine bay thru the radiator.
What does it look like? I own 2 of these cars and I've never seen anything covering that area under the hood of any 4th gen in my life.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
The lack of radiator ducting is hurting you. There may be air entering through the holes in the bumper, but it’s not enough and it certainly isn’t flowing through the radiator efficiently.

If you put the factory ducting back in, your issues would be solved. If you want to ditch the factory bottom feeding air dam and ducting, you’ll need a larger opening in the front bumper and create ducting to seal the bumper opening to the radiator inlet.
Photos of what its supposed to look like would really help. I just did a search for "4th gen camaro stock engine bay photos" and every single picture I saw was modified. Lol. One pic was stock but couldn't tell anything from it.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 480 Likes on 385 Posts

Also, do you have the air dam that sits under the core support? It will cause you problems if it's not installed.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts

Photos of what its supposed to look like would really help. I just did a search for "4th gen camaro stock engine bay photos" and every single picture I saw was modified. Lol. One pic was stock but couldn't tell anything from it.

Old 05-09-2024, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy

I know the piece you are pointing out. I mentioned it in an earlier response. It sits on top of the AC condenser and then snaps in somewhere under the hood latch area. The problem is that piece won't work with my ram air. It would be behind the pipe. Therefore no way to seal it. At least not with that stock piece.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy

I know the piece you are pointing out. I mentioned it in an earlier response. It sits on top of the AC condenser and then snaps in somewhere under the hood latch area. The problem is that piece won't work with my ram air. It would be behind the pipe. Therefore no way to seal it. At least not with that stock piece.
I guess I misunderstood when you said, “ Quote:
Photos of what its supposed to look like would really help. I just did a search for "4th gen camaro stock engine bay photos" and every single picture I saw was modified. Lol. One pic was stock but couldn't tell anything from it.”
What if you get the plastic shrouds and cut a circular hole for the intake pipe to go through? Or maybe forget the “ram air” all together?

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 05-10-2024 at 06:28 AM.
G Atsma (05-10-2024)

Quick Reply: Cooling issue