Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally done....NO start LS2..Any help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally done....NO start LS2..Any help

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post and trying to help. For those who helped me in the past, appreciate it.

I have an 06 GTO LS2/T56 (E40 ecu).
The harness is stock except for a few items deleted. rear o2s,evap,a/c wires,,fuel level sensor.
I purchase a J1 connector prewired for the DBW and OBD port. The wires I used from J1 to the car harness( 68Camaro) include;

Pin 19-to 12v ignition,
Pin 20 to 12v battery
Pin 36 to low speed fan relay
Pin 45 to fuel pump relay
Pin 48 to tach
Pin 56 to high speed fan relay

Underhood Connector C101 was originally powered directly from battery via the underhood power center. It provided power to the L/R coil and FI. Also grounds fro various AC functions and bulk power to transmission functions.
I replace C101 with a WX pack connector and wired in a six panel fuse box with relays, powered directly from the battery.

The car cranks fine, has fuel but has no spark at the plugs. If someone sees something wrong in my wiring approach please let me know. Also where is a good place to start troubleshooting this high tech stuff !! I can set your points and set your timing , ol school!

Thanks for reading ,
BobH
Old 01-26-2015, 06:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Has the computer been tuned?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
Has the computer been tuned?
Yes,thank you.

Sent it out to a shop and had it set-up for this application. In the interim I stumbled on a post about E40 ecu and the had Pin 14 wired through 12v ign. Hopefully that's the problem as I didn't wire that Pin. not sure why. I'll give it a try tomorrow. If anyone else has ideas I'm all ears.
Thanks
BobH
Old 01-26-2015, 07:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

More than likely the missing ignition wire in J1 14 is your issue. Fix that and you should be good to go.

Bill

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 01-27-2015, 05:59 AM
On The Tree

Hey Bob,
I meant to grab my swap folder before I left the house this morning. I've got everything I wired up documented.

I do know the fuse panel I put in the engine bay has constant power, but thru a relay. Anything that needs constant 12v is tied to the factory harness though.
There were so many wires that needed either IGN or constant 12vdc, I can't remember about Pin 14. If the GTO wiring diagrams show it as IGN, then wire it up that way. C101 is an important one for sure, but not all those wires get connected.

I'll go thru my folder and let you know exactly what I powered and how. I must have guessed right because it fired and ran fine the first try. It was the 12v to the transmission that gave me the run-around for a while.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe
Hey Bob,
I meant to grab my swap folder before I left the house this morning. I've got everything I wired up documented.

I do know the fuse panel I put in the engine bay has constant power, but thru a relay. Anything that needs constant 12v is tied to the factory harness though.
There were so many wires that needed either IGN or constant 12vdc, I can't remember about Pin 14. If the GTO wiring diagrams show it as IGN, then wire it up that way. C101 is an important one for sure, but not all those wires get connected.

I'll go thru my folder and let you know exactly what I powered and how. I must have guessed right because it fired and ran fine the first try. It was the 12v to the transmission that gave me the run-around for a while.
Thanks Joe and BP..... I wired Pin 14 , no luck. I have verified power to coils at gn wire and red wire FI .
Searching in a Black Hole,
BobH

Hopefully Joe you wont have too much snow to shovel!!
Old 01-27-2015, 09:01 AM
12 Second Club

Check the crank sensor circuit. Make sure it's making good connection.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What does work?
Does the fuel pump prime when you turn on the key?
Does the throttle work when you have the key on? You should be able to move the pedal and the throttle blade will open and close if it is all wired properly.
Lastly, when you crank the engine, does the pump run while the engine is cranking? Can you check fuel pressure?
Old 01-27-2015, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jones'n
What does work?
Does the fuel pump prime when you turn on the key?
Does the throttle work when you have the key on? You should be able to move the pedal and the throttle blade will open and close if it is all wired properly.
Lastly, when you crank the engine, does the pump run while the engine is cranking? Can you check fuel pressure?
Yes, fuel pump primes when key is in ON position.
Not sure about throttle blade will check when boss comes home
Not sure if fuel pump runs during cranking
Where is the best place to install a gauge on stock LS2?

Thanks for suggestions
BobH
Old 01-27-2015, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

There's a schrader (spelling?) valve like a bicycle tire on the end of the drivers side fuel rail. Should be a black cap on it.

You can buy a 0-100psi gauge and an adaptor kit to install the fuel pressure gauge there. You'll need to remove the guts of the valve first with a tool you can get at AutoZone, etc. or the bicycle department at Wally World.
There's plenty of posts on this.

Without looking at my paperwork, I can only guess right now on why it won't start. Gimme a few to go over it. Do you have the GTO (NOT the Corvette) wiring diagrams?
Old 01-27-2015, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Thanks
I have the fuel pressure gauge. It wasn't a priority until now.
Well I am fairly certain that my pinouts are 05 GTO. It would be nice to obtain the GTO wiring diagrams. I have the C101 diagrams including coil and FI
Thanks
BobH
Old 01-27-2015, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Where'd you get the diagrams from?
I learned after much hair pulling and flinging curses that there's a mixture of Corvette\GTO diagrams for the '05\'06 floating around. They're definitely not the same. I was too cheap to buy the actual diagrams for the GTO.

My fuse block is wired to power:
A. Coils\Inj - IGN
B. 2 separate wires from ECM - IGN (See ECM notes below)
C. Fuel Pump - IGN
D. OBDii - 12V constant (Pin 16 at connector in car should be orange)
E. ECM+ - 12V constant

C101:
Pin 1: Empty
Pin 2: Red - Pass. coils\Inj.
Pin 3: Lite Green - Drivers coils\Inj.
Pin 4: GND
Pin 5: Pink\Blue - Transmission
Pin 6 I don't use. If you have A\C, Pin 6: Dark Green.

ECM:
C1 Pin 14 - IGN
C1 Pin 19 - IGN
C1 Pin 20 (Keep Alive Memory) - 12V constant

I have ECM C1 Pin 18 on IGN\ACC power also. I believe it's a yellow wire in the BCM (Body Control Module harness that hangs loose in the engine bay... lower front drivers side.)
I have a note stating that a Pink wire in the BCM connector is IGN power to the MAF.

That's it...

Last edited by HwyStarJoe; 01-27-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe
Where'd you get the diagrams from?
I learned after much hair pulling and flinging curses that there's a mixture of Corvette\GTO diagrams for the '05\'06 floating around. They're definitely not the same. I was too cheap to buy the actual diagrams for the GTO.

My fuse block is wired to power:
A. Coils\Inj - IGN
B. 2 separate wires from ECM - IGN (See ECM notes below)
C. Fuel Pump - IGN
D. OBDii - 12V constant (Pin 16 at connector in car should be orange)
E. ECM+ - 12V constant

C101:
Pin 1: Empty
Pin 2: Red - Pass. coils\Inj.
Pin 3: Lite Green - Drivers coils\Inj.
Pin 4: GND
Pin 5: Pink\Blue - Transmission
Pin 6 I don't use. If you have A\C, Pin 6: Dark Green.

ECM:
C1 Pin 14 - IGN
C1 Pin 19 - IGN
C1 Pin 20 (Keep Alive Memory) - 12V constant

I have ECM C1 Pin 18 on IGN\ACC power also. I believe it's a yellow wire in the BCM (Body Control Module harness that hangs loose in the engine bay... lower front drivers side.)
I have a note stating that a Pink wire in the BCM connector is IGN power to the MAF.

That's it...
Thanks
I have wired nearly the same as yours. I don't have the BCM in the car so I didn't run PIN 18. Also I have the AAW kit that had provisions for IGN 12v and Constant 12V which feeds from fuse box.
I just came in from the garage after checking ohms on Crank sensor wiring between ECM and connector. All checked good BTW,where are the GTO diagrams for sale?
Thanks Again,
BobH
Old 01-27-2015, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

I don't have the BCM either, but powered that wire.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

i had a similar issue as yours when i was trying to start my car. when i received my wire harness one of the cables was pinned incorrectly and i would not get any spark. I would make sure to check your relay for the ignition and make sure everything is wired correctly. Its possible you are sending power over a ground or vice versa.

(my car had everything but spark, and i checked every sensor, before realizing it was a pinning issue.)
Old 01-28-2015, 05:31 AM
On The Tree

You're definitely not the first person I've seen with that problem. New harness, pinned incorrectly.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Todays update;

Still no start. Purchased an OBD scan tool. No codes displayed. However did find more info through out the day.
-No cranking RPM displayed via scan tool or tach.
-No electrical throttle response from Throttle blade.
-No voltage at plug for TAC
-Fuel pressure about 45 psi
-12v available to computer during crank cycle
-wiring ohmed okay from crank sensor to computer
-good grounds from coil ignition harness to head grounds lt and rt
-No voltage at coil ignition signal
-Ohm at coil ign signal gnd 4.7

Could VATS still be active????

Thanks
BobH
Old 01-28-2015, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you pulled a plug wire off and put it close to a ground where it could jump if you were able to get it to crank over?

and no response from the throttle blade could be either missing/faulty power or ground.

It will be a major pain in the hind end, but you may want to go thru your pinout and plugs with an ohm meter to verify accurate pinout locations.

You already know something is amiss, just gotta track down where its at. Best of luck with this.

If I was close to you I would come over and give you a hand at trying to figure it out..
Old 01-28-2015, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just thought of something, if your pump was not turning on during cranking, your pressure should be going down, providing the injectors are opening and letting fuel into the cylinders.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

If you have fuel, spark and compression, all about the same time, it has to run. Try and figure out which one of those elements is missing. Put a noid light on an injector plug and see what you have, you can have fuel/pressure at the rail and without a pulse from the ecm, it will not run. I know it's been mentioned, but be certain there is spark when cranking. Does your harness have 2 constant power wires at the starter B+ pole and are they attached? When you find out what you don't have, you can start working your way back from there.

Quick Reply: Finally done....NO start LS2..Any help