Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any hope in selling 5.3 truck intake/accessories after swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any hope in selling 5.3 truck intake/accessories after swap?

Hey again fellas.

I'm pricing everything out here for the LS swap. The fellas over at nasty Z28 are saying that after they finished their builds on the 5.3, most of them wish they just went with an LS1 from the beginning. We need the f-body pan, an LS1/LS6 intake (if you don't have a cowl hood or just don't want to look at the damn thing) and need either new brackets to place the truck accessories properly or F-Body accessories altogether.

If I were to go the 5.3 route, buy all F-Body accessories, would I have any chance of selling the truck intake and accessories, or does nobody want them?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Truck engines aren't for everyone, but there seems to be a good market for the truck parts. I was able to sell my L92 intake, not for a lot, but some. I also sold my water pump.

I personally prefer the Corvette style accessories, so I always swap my balancer to the shallow Corvette style. On my current Cougar build, I started with a LH8, swapped balancers and water pump to the Corvette style. I am using the Holley alternator bracket, which word with a truck alternator. Pans are always tricky, but depending on what 5.3L you get, you can sell those. I sold the LH8 pan.

Remember, 5.7L LS1s are getting pretty old and there aren't that many around. Trucks engines can be had with less miles and are never. I also prefer the Gen IV engines with the 58 tooth cranks.

Andrew
Old 02-18-2015, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Andrew! The truck water pump has to be ditched when using an LS1/6 intake, correct? Also, any idea if the truck alternator/power steering pump are the same on the trucks as the F-Body? Probably not I'm assuming.

I'm wondering if I can use all the truck accessories in f-body brackets, in the f-body locations. If not, my options are:

1. Dirty Dingo brackets to move the truck alternator and power steering pump to f-body location

2. Do away with all the truck stuff and use f-body alternator and power steering pump with their respective brackets.

I don't have a cowl hood to fit the alternator in factory 5.3 location, plus I think it looks terrible there. I want the stock f-body positioning of the accessory system.

Thanks man!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Thanks Andrew! The truck water pump has to be ditched when using an LS1/6 intake, correct? Also, any idea if the truck alternator/power steering pump are the same on the trucks as the F-Body? Probably not I'm assuming.

I'm wondering if I can use all the truck accessories in f-body brackets, in the f-body locations. If not, my options are:

1. Dirty Dingo brackets to move the truck alternator and power steering pump to f-body location

2. Do away with all the truck stuff and use f-body alternator and power steering pump with their respective brackets.

I don't have a cowl hood to fit the alternator in factory 5.3 location, plus I think it looks terrible there. I want the stock f-body positioning of the accessory system.

Thanks man!
The upper hose outlet interferes with the throttle body when you use the LS1.LS6 intake. I don't know about the alternator, but the truck power steering pump is definitely different than the f-body pump.

What's wrong with using the Holley bracket in the Corvette location? They also make spacers to use the same bracket with the f-body or the truck balancer.

Andrew
Old 02-18-2015, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

Alright thanks!

This is what i currently plan on going with - I can grab a 5.3 and retain all the accessories (except water pump)

Dirty Dingo low mount alternator bracket, f-body location with truck alternator:
http://dirtydingo.com/store/product_...oducts_id=1426

Dirty Dingo power steering bracket, f-body location with truck pump
http://dirtydingo.com/store/product_...oducts_id=1417

Which would look like this:

I am completely unfamiliar with the Holley bracket. Would I need the corvette parts?
Old 02-18-2015, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Tons of info here:

http://documents.holley.com/199r10607rev5.pdf

As I said, you can use the truck alternator with the Holley bracket. You'll need a Corvette p/s pump and reservoir.

Andrew
Old 02-19-2015, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I'm running a truck acc & water pump with a LS2 intake - Cable throttle body - Twisted the neck slightly to clear and re-mounted the idler for the belt to clear the TB. Not running yet but I don't see any issues so far.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a F-body alternator bracket from GM, it was a little cheaper ($50) but didn't come with the idler pulley (another $13 or so). I already had the F-body power steering pump, no idea on price of that. You can re-use the smaller truck alternator on the f-body bracket, the bigger Suburban and Tahoe units will not fit.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2007 and up NNBS trucks have the waterpump inlet at a different angle. From all the research I've done it will clear the TB with a car intake. I'll know in 2 weeks if mine will clear a Fast 102 with the truck DBW throttle body.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Accrdwgnguy
I bought a F-body alternator bracket from GM, it was a little cheaper ($50) but didn't come with the idler pulley (another $13 or so). I already had the F-body power steering pump, no idea on price of that. You can re-use the smaller truck alternator on the f-body bracket, the bigger Suburban and Tahoe units will not fit.
The truck alternator fits on the F-Body bracket? So my choices would be GM parts (f-body bracket + idler pulley as you said) for roughly ~$65 or the Dirty Dingo bracket for $90? Hmmmm.. I have no idea what size the alternator is I do not have anything yet. Just writing everything down for now, planning it out.

Originally Posted by Hawk465
The 2007 and up NNBS trucks have the waterpump inlet at a different angle. From all the research I've done it will clear the TB with a car intake. I'll know in 2 weeks if mine will clear a Fast 102 with the truck DBW throttle body.
That car is f*cking gorgeous. I was originally planning on going with an engine from an 02 or similar. Early engine, early PCM.. just seemed to make sense. Plus I do not want drive by wire. I love the feel of a cable throttle.

Last edited by 98 WS6; 02-20-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Tons of info here:

http://documents.holley.com/199r10607rev5.pdf

As I said, you can use the truck alternator with the Holley bracket. You'll need a Corvette p/s pump and reservoir.

Andrew
Hey Andrew, I just looked a bit further into the Holley bracket and see how it sits - lower than the truck drive does! Not bad.. it's growing on me. Will the truck p/s pump not fit on this? Someone on NastyZ28 mentioned reports of the accessory drive in the f-body location causing clearance issues with the pitman arm. Not sure if that applies to 70-73, gotta look into it more.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

A truck pump will not work with the Holley bracket. I have used an F body pump before, but it's not worth the labor to put a nipple on the end. The kit is built to use the corvette pump and sets the accessories up like the corvette drive system. IMO The Holley kit is the best aftermarket FEAD kit available.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1964SS
A truck pump will not work with the Holley bracket. I have used an F body pump before, but it's not worth the labor to put a nipple on the end. The kit is built to use the corvette pump and sets the accessories up like the corvette drive system. IMO The Holley kit is the best aftermarket FEAD kit available.
If I read the Holley PDF correctly, with the Holley bracket I can use the truck alternator, and everything else from the corvette without needing the additional install kit. Does it HAVE to be from a 97 corvette, or is it all the years the LS1 was in the Vette?

Also, i cross referenced the part numbers for the water pumps, and Rock Auto showed that the F-body/Corvette water pump numbers were the same. Is this true?
Old 02-21-2015, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

If I read the Holley PDF correctly, with the Holley bracket I can use the truck alternator, and everything else from the corvette without needing the additional install kit. Does it HAVE to be from a 97 corvette, or is it all the years the LS1 was in the Vette?

Also, i cross referenced the part numbers for the water pumps, and Rock Auto showed that the F-body/Corvette water pump numbers were the same. Is this true?
Any C5/C6 power steering pumps will work. Not sure about the water pumps. You just have to be careful with the pulley depth. If you keep the truck balancer, you need to have a water pump that has a pulley in the same location. This is why I like to swap balancers to the Corvette style, because it sucks everything closer to the engine.

Andrew
Old 02-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Hey Andrew, I just looked a bit further into the Holley bracket and see how it sits - lower than the truck drive does! Not bad.. it's growing on me. Will the truck p/s pump not fit on this? Someone on NastyZ28 mentioned reports of the accessory drive in the f-body location causing clearance issues with the pitman arm. Not sure if that applies to 70-73, gotta look into it more.

Brian,
I have the fbody accessories. My alt is close to the pitman arm, that is why my engine is set forward just a little. Drawback is the stock fbody pan did not clear crossmember without notching. The cts v pan should clear...but hangs below crossmember about 1/2". Kwik brackets (http://www.kwikperf.com/accessories.html) solve a lot of your accessory issues...nice but they add to your budget.
I'm getting ready to buy their A/C bracket.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Any C5/C6 power steering pumps will work. Not sure about the water pumps. You just have to be careful with the pulley depth. If you keep the truck balancer, you need to have a water pump that has a pulley in the same location. This is why I like to swap balancers to the Corvette style, because it sucks everything closer to the engine.

Andrew
Thanks for your help! So to make it simple, lets say I buy an 02 5.3 .. If I am correct, I *should* be able to keep the truck alternator + Holley bracket, swap in a C5 balancer, water pump, power steering pump, and then deal with the tensioners. Badabing badaboom?

Originally Posted by reedld
Brian,
I have the fbody accessories. My alt is close to the pitman arm, that is why my engine is set forward just a little. Drawback is the stock fbody pan did not clear crossmember without notching. The cts v pan should clear...but hangs below crossmember about 1/2". Kwik brackets (http://www.kwikperf.com/accessories.html) solve a lot of your accessory issues...nice but they add to your budget.
I'm getting ready to buy their A/C bracket.
I don't think I can risk moving the engine forward at all because I will be keeping the TH350 for now and have to use 1" set back plates. Seems the safest bet here is to go with the Vette setup. I'll check that link out though, thanks again!
Old 02-21-2015, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a company on here that advertises smoothing one and custom paint/dipping for them. Probably wont get much for one, but you might try calling/e-mailing them about selling yours. If you leave the sensors on it, they may offer a little bit more. I do not know for certain. I sold 2 truck intakes and 1 was 100% complete right off the engine to someone for $110 shipped to his door. fuel rails, sensors, throttle body.... all was still on one intake.

Quick Reply: Any hope in selling 5.3 truck intake/accessories after swap?