Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future LS1 Fan (240sx/240z/rx7)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future LS1 Fan (240sx/240z/rx7)

Well after constant research and ending up at ls1 tech ive decided to register and hopefully get more insight..

Lots of questions but and i'm near positive that they've all been answered one way or another. I'm sure ill find them one way or another. So worry not about the typical new guy i want x amount of power with a budget of 1,000$.

i have 12 months left here in korea so overtime i will try and create a parts list to get me around 500/500 whp inside of any of the above listed vehicles.( Gutted unless its an FD rx7 ) Which from my understanding is tangible.

feel free to chime in any opinions or 2 cents as..

Ive considered Next Gen Dart Ls blocks, but have ruled them out as over kill for what the tire-slayer set up i want. Lately i've leant towards Texas speed for their bare Ls1 or schwanke.

Leaning towards maintaining stock crank as its rated around 6xx with forged piston/ connecting. Mahle/wiseco (not eagle from reviews ive read)

Fuel/injector upgrades. Alot of research left on heads but leaning towards used Ls6.

I lean back and forth from buying a Ls it used ( from craigslist or a shop in CA? if i can find) tearing down engine and using externals

compared to

Buying bare building up & having to find all externals.

i come from the world of Hondas/ V6 2013 camaro so this will be my first engine i that personally build up. Any insight, 2 cents, insults, recommendations what ever it may be is grateful.

I know its a generic list seeing as my route isn't set yet

Look forward to getting into the LS1 Community. Thanks fellas
Old 03-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1,000 is not a big budget at all, especially if you're running 500rwhp. I don't even think you can purchase a dart block for under $2.5k, and a good gen 3/4 5.3 or 6.0 will eat up most of that budget. There's tons on builds out there that you should be able to gather up your info. Take you're time, build your budget up, and start collecting parts that you'll need to begin your build. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:08 PM

No i was saying im not the person to have big goals with little money. I dont have a budet on the build it will pretty much boil down to what i feel comfortable dishing out. Cost money to go fast. Thanks for the reply
Old 03-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Texas Speed will have everything you could ever want, as well as the knowledge & help to put it together right the first time
Old 03-12-2015, 03:57 AM

where do y'all stand/ recommend as far as getting a block. build from bare crate . or will a "hopefully healthy" used one with a replaced rotating assembly hold me over?
Old 03-12-2015, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Healthy used one
Old 03-12-2015, 11:07 PM

Thanks
Old 03-13-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

if your on a budget I would go with a lq4/9, it'll be cheaper than a ls1 and you'll start with more cubes. I currently have a ls1 in my 240 that I got for a good deal, but I could have bought a lq4 and put the same amount of money into it and would have had more power than the ls1, so now I'm building a lq4 like I should have done from the start and maybe build another car for the ls1
Old 03-13-2015, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

My .02. Don't buy an S30 unless you are ready to really put some work in. Finding a "rust free" specimen is very very difficult, and then you are going to pay for it. Out of those 3, I would go FD all day long if you can swing the rolling chassis. a 240SX will be cheaper than the other two and has a ton of aftermarket support for damn near every driving style you can think of. Having owned 2 and having quite a bit of experience with the FD, I would go FD.

240Z- More than likely will need rust repair, PO screws ups and some beefing of the chassis to handle that much power. Not to mention the rear differential will need to be changed. Is a 70s car. Some people DD, but in m opinion more of a weekend ride.

240SX- Tons of kits, can keep AC, lots of aftermarket, R200 with LSD will handle fine. Middle of the road comfort for the 3 choices.

FD- Damn near the sexiest car to ever come out of Japan in my .02. Great handling, comfortable, and tons of support as well. Also the most expensive.

I am building a 240Z right now, but I will be adding an FD to my stable in the years to come. Have owned a couple Kouki S14s. Will never again. Not into that scene anymore.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:42 AM

definitely agree with the FD being among the sexiest. Finding a rolling body is far and few between not to mention the large cost. i will have an eye out hopefully can find a steal under 7000. May just keep it simple and stay 240sx its not a bad looking car.. I was looking into the Lq4 originally. Wouldn't The extra weight of the iron block be really off-putting balance wise? I just want to be able to throw down on the high-way and the occasional kick out the rear end around... But then again more power would make up for added weight. Not opposed to the rx7 FC, bit heavier than all 3 but they are cheap and easy to find in cali. Less options for parts but the market is still there.

(note: not racing/drifting in traffic, occasional empty 2 lane pulls)
Old 03-14-2015, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

unless your trying to compete in auto x, drifting, or track car, the 70 extra pounds isn't going to hurt a thing, put the battery in the back and add a sub, and you can offset the weight. My 240 is right at 500rwhp and its a blast to drive, and a LSD rear will add to the fun and make it easier to control. and I would much rather a FD, but I picked up my 240sx for 300 no motor, no seats, and needing a front bumper. 300 for an FD not sure what you'll get, but won't be much
Old 03-14-2015, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Haha, 300 for an FD might get you a door panel. a few years back I was trying to purchase an R1FD while I was deployed to iraq. The guy would not budge off his crazy asking price, but the guy with the 300zx TT did. The rest is history.

And the little added weight is fairly negligible since the new motor will sit farther back and lower than the KA. You would never know the difference.

Last edited by Jay Gadsby; 03-14-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:17 PM

sounds good, i can not wait for this Korea tour to finish! Volunteered to go here solely for the money because racecar!
Old 03-15-2015, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Haha yeah I did that once. Volunteered for a 15 month deployment, waived my dwell and bam! Single staff at the time, was loving it. All because race car.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:14 PM

the **** you do to go fast man. so looking into used lq4s seem quite reasonably priced. Just ebay and craigslist used motor with all the dressings is like 14-1600 and from what i read they block can be honed down a good amount to remove wear, replace the rotating assembly and im good to go and also 01+ Lq4 is required to bolt up to a T56?

Quick Reply: Future LS1 Fan (240sx/240z/rx7)