Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

backfire in intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backfire in intake

so, i tried to start my car and it cranked a few times and sounded like it was going to catch so i let go of the key, it almost started but it stalled and then i heard a very loud backfire through the intake. I popped the hood and noticed that the backfire blew the cap off the front of the intake and dented my hood. Im going to upgrade to an ls6 intake and replace the hood with a cf hood but i dont want it to happen again. what would cause a backfire like that? its an ls1 with an ls1 intake and a mild cam. it runs and drives just fine. could it be in the tune, an intake leak, leaking injectors, or maybe a bad crank sensor? any input would help, thanks

Old 04-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

You got pretty lucky that egr plug popped out. Mine took out the whole *** end of the intake. All the little plastic pieces got sucked in and took out the engine. The engine stayed running and shot to full rpm, on a curved on ramp to the highway. It put me in a ditch. I rebuilt the engine and it hasn't happened since.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check that ecm has 12v during crank mine backfired while starting too until I fig out. Take a test light to ecm switched ignition wire while cranking
Old 04-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My 5.3 backfires if I turn the key and start straight away, rather than turn the key and wait for a few seconds before firing it. I presume that the fuel pressure is not high enough initially, and that it builds up after a few seconds?
Old 04-02-2015, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Damn rigid that sucks. Good thing no one wasn't standing over the motor when mine blew out. Thanks jimmyg I'll check into that
Old 04-05-2015, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Damn, I've never seen that before. You and rigid got lucky in the long run, things could've gone way worse. Makes you sort of count your blessings.
Might get someone to at least look over the tune before you change hoods, that probably would've gone straight through a cf one. My backfires turned out to be bent valves, but I'd think that's unlikely in this case.

Quick Reply: backfire in intake