Sponsored by:

1956 Ford F100 LS Swap HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1956 Ford F100 LS Swap HELP!

Hey guys,
I've been restoring a 56 F100 for the better part of the last 2 years, when I thought I seen the light at the end of the tunnel, it quickly disappeared.
Run down on motor...
1st gen LS 5.3
TSP 228R cam
LS2 intake
LS2 injectors
eBay 92mm 4 bolt throttle body - cable driven (not hooked up)
Shorty headers
4l60E
3.92 gear - Ford 9"
Areomotive phantom pump
Corvette fuel regulator

That about sums up the engine and trans. I had a custom harness made from Street and performance. The truck doesn't have the exhaust ran now so it's on open headers. Alternator and power steering isn't hooked up either. I'm just strictly trying to fire it up to see if it will start, then I will finish it up. The PCM is a early truck PCM that has also had the VATs disabled. At least that's what Street and performance told me.
So here's where I am. I got constant power from the key on, and in start position to the PCM. I have 12v to the fuse box on the PCM, and 10.5 while cranking. I have 55 psi at the rails. The engine turns over just fine, but I don't believe fuel is going to the injectors. So i can get the engine to turn over just fine, but it wont burp or make any sound of being alive.I can pull no. 1 plug and turn the key to the on position, and it's getting spark. The fuel pump is connected and grounded properly. It primes just like it should. I have 3 grounds on the truck. The injectors I got off eBay that apparently had 20k miles or so. I'm not sure if they are stuck or just DEAD. I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and tried to start it, and it back fired though the intake and bent the damn throttle blade on the TB. I'm not sure where to go from this point. I've tried calling Street and performance for help, but their tech isn't so great and I'm really not getting anywhere.
Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

can you use a NOID light to see if the injectors are pulsing?
Old 04-07-2015, 09:33 PM
Teching In

I had a similar issue with used injectors. When I got a new set of injectors the engine fired the first time.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Sounds like your injectors are stuck, a pretty common issue. Try taking them out and soaking them in some Seafoam overnight then reinstall and try it againm
Old 04-08-2015, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DW SD
can you use a NOID light to see if the injectors are pulsing?
I don't have access to one...however I may have to buy one.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lsxobs
I had a similar issue with used injectors. When I got a new set of injectors the engine fired the first time.
hmm...I have a feeling that's the problem.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Sounds like your injectors are stuck, a pretty common issue. Try taking them out and soaking them in some Seafoam overnight then reinstall and try it againm
great idea! Which seafoam product do you recommend? I don't use a lot of that stuff. I'm guessing just put all the injectors in a coffee can and let them soak?
Old 04-08-2015, 06:10 AM
Staging Lane

teaser...

Old 04-08-2015, 06:14 AM
Staging Lane

a older picture of the engine

Old 04-08-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Bad ***! I prefer this site to Ford-Trucks. Too many get hung up about the late model GM drivetrain. I did an L92 / 6L80.
Here's my Ford F1 swap victim:

BTW - a Noid light is only a few $ on amazon. Or probably $10 at your nearest NAPA.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DW SD
Bad ***! I prefer this site to Ford-Trucks. Too many get hung up about the late model GM drivetrain. I did an L92 / 6L80.
Here's my Ford F1 swap victim:

BTW - a Noid light is only a few $ on amazon. Or probably $10 at your nearest NAPA.
I agree with you. Fordtrucks gets hung up on these chevy motors! Wow, I love your truck! the 51-52 front end is my favorite out of that gen!

So a update on my truck....Street and performance didn't even tune my PCM. They sent me a un-tuned stock truck PCM. So I sent it back out to them. Now its just a matter of time....
Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

DW SD, more pics!!!
Old 04-13-2015, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Hey,
thank you. Found this site after doing most of my building. My build threads is on the ford-trucks site. One is the engine / drivetrain install and the other my Ford 9" coil over 4 link conversion. And then some fabrication of my interior.

If you are curious about a bunch of detailed pictures and even some video, they are all here. https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A855Z2WMGOKzTn

I should have installed the LS3 intake, but left the L92. Not so pretty, but it functions just fine.

Let me know if I can help you with anything, I solved a lot of problems on mine. The coil over and 4 link conversion made a tremendous ride improvement for the rear.

Doug
Old 04-14-2015, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

this is going to be awesome completed
Old 04-15-2015, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm..... If the PCM was untuned, that being the VATs still being enabled. It should still attempt to start and run for a second or two and then die.

Might still have problems.. but lets see what happens with a tuned PCM... Keep us posted.

BC
Old 04-15-2015, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 91frppgt
DW SD, more pics!!!
Where are you located?
If in Southern California, we should meet up.
cheers,

Doug
Old 04-15-2015, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice trucks! My first RC truck was a Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin. Loved these trucks ever since even though they are Fords.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys I'm back. I got the PCM tuned, and still the same problem. I'm stumped at this point. It's my first LS swap, so maybe I'm missing something. I double checked all of my grounds and connections. Took the injectors out and swapped them around. When I have the key in on position, with no 1 plug out I can hear it sparking. But I'm pretty sure it's still not sending fuel in the intake. I can't smell fuel on the plugs. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-19-2015, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bczee
Hmmm..... If the PCM was untuned, that being the VATs still being enabled. It should still attempt to start and run for a second or two and then die.

Might still have problems.. but lets see what happens with a tuned PCM... Keep us posted.

BC
That's what I was told as well. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I double checked all the pins on the connectors to the PCM and it all looked good. I guess it's back to square one. This is the last piece of the puzzle before I can drive this thing.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 91frppgt
That's what I was told as well. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I double checked all the pins on the connectors to the PCM and it all looked good. I guess it's back to square one. This is the last piece of the puzzle before I can drive this thing.

I also tried spraying some fuel in the intake to see if it would spit or sputter, and it back fired through the intake and bent the throttle blade. Hopefully it didn't mess up anything else. After that, I just closed down the garage and came in.

Quick Reply: 1956 Ford F100 LS Swap HELP!