Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1956 Ford F100 LS Swap HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the test should light up intermittently under cranking as the computer makes the grounds to fire the injectors.
If it is not lighting up (intermittently pulsing as it cranks), I'd try to find the outputs from the computer and check continuity between the injectors and back to the computer. My understanding is the computer supplies those grounds to the injectors.

Still, I'd doubt all eight leads have failed. I'd then either say the programmer didn't turn off VATS properly or perhaps the injector driver circuitry failed. Or you have bad connections between the harness and computer. (each injector has a ground output from the computer).

Doug
Old 04-21-2015, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DW SD
the test should light up intermittently under cranking as the computer makes the grounds to fire the injectors.
If it is not lighting up (intermittently pulsing as it cranks), I'd try to find the outputs from the computer and check continuity between the injectors and back to the computer. My understanding is the computer supplies those grounds to the injectors.

Still, I'd doubt all eight leads have failed. I'd then either say the programmer didn't turn off VATS properly or perhaps the injector driver circuitry failed. Or you have bad connections between the harness and computer. (each injector has a ground output from the computer).

Doug
Thanks for the info Doug. I have a buddy coming over with his computer to scan the ECM. He's a LS master mechanic. So hopefully we can figure it out in a few hours. I will keep you updated.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Well more bad news. My buddy hooked it up to HP tuners and the only sensors it's reading is the Amibent temp and the MAP sensor. It's not reading anything else. I'm getting a DTC of P1518 - electronic throttle module to PCM communication. I'm not sure where to go from this point. Either throw a car cover on it, or just try to sale the damn thing.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

After a quick google search it looks like the DTC code is searching for a TAC module. Which I don't have a TAC module...can someone confirm this?
Old 04-21-2015, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 413 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by 91frppgt
Well more bad news. My buddy hooked it up to HP tuners and the only sensors it's reading is the Amibent temp and the MAP sensor. It's not reading anything else. I'm getting a DTC of P1518 - electronic throttle module to PCM communication. I'm not sure where to go from this point. Either throw a car cover on it, or just try to sale the damn thing.
Originally Posted by 91frppgt
After a quick google search it looks like the DTC code is searching for a TAC module. Which I don't have a TAC module...can someone confirm this?
That is correct. If you're using a cable driven throttle body, You do not have or need to use a TAC module.

It sounds like the tune is not set up properly for your engine.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
That is correct. If you're using a cable driven throttle body, You do not have or need to use a TAC module.

It sounds like the tune is not set up properly for your engine.
Your right. The damn ECM is still searching for a TAC module, that's why I keep getting that DTC. I've already sent it back twice to the tuner now. I'm done with them, I will be getting a refund and I am using a different tuner. This is ridiculous, I've been waiting almost a month now for a computer to be properly set up.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

Hey guys, just a update...

So last year at SEMA, I spoke with Mark at Street and performance about building this harness. He was very knowledgeable at the show, and we discussed our options. So a few weeks later, around the first of December, I emailed Mark from my work email, which states in my signature what my job title is. So I email Mark, asking a few last questions and whatnot, and he emails back a response, then wants to know if we could trade services cause his CAD guy is no longer there. So at this point i'm thinking, I could save a few bucks, trade services, and still get a quality product. So I agree, he told me they need alot of drawings updated, and I could just work off the money I owe them that way. Good thing I saved all the emails of him stating this (I had to end up sending them to my credit card company, more on that later). I did about $250 worth of reverse engineering for him, and made him 3 drawings. When I spoke with him over the phone about the drawings, he was thrilled with them. And for those that know about reverse engineering, the rates are easily $100+ a hour. I gave him a very good deal, as I wanted to help them out. So Mark and I discussed our options, I told him exactly what I wanted, he said no problem. Mark had health issues, and he is no longer at the company. I ended up giving them a credit card anyways to start the harness, I wanted to have some collateral on my end. The harness build begin in mid December of 14'. I sent the ECM to them to be tuned around this time as well.

What I received from S&P(Jan. 15) is a Drive by CABLE Harness, NO WIRING FOR ALTERNATOR, & NO WIRING FOR FAN CONTROL, using corvette 02 Oxygen sensors, wrong MAF connector. So I had to buy a LS2 cable TB, and sensors for that ($350~) Thankfully they got the right LS2 injector connectors, crank & cam sensors, and MAP sensor. The other sensors, I had to replace and buy new. ($300~ on my end). I tried caling S&P upon receiving, but I was told Mark no longer worked there. At this point, I agreed to pay the balance of what was owed, and move on. I also received the ECM back at this time, and was told several times it had been tuned.

What was discussed, and what I paid for was a DRIVE BY WIRE harness. I told Mark I would like to get everything from them, including the TAC Module, Corvette Gas Pedal, and whatever else it takes to get this truck mobile. He understood, agreed and said NO problem. So I got charged on my credit card for $960 for a Drive by Wire Harness, for a Cable Driven Harness that shouldn't of been near that much. Upon inspection, I was very unhappy with the harness. I had to lengthen about 50% of the wires to get them to work, I only had 3 things labeled, a majority of the wires had no wire loom or tubing on them, so it looked extremely messy. I have alot of money in this build, and the last thing I want is a alot of wires looking like junk in my engine bay. So I cleaned up all of this, which I feel for that kind of money I shouldn't have too.

Fast forward to Jan/Feb of 2015, I contact S&P, telling them the issues I have with my ECM. I was told that they had NO FILE of it being tuned, so I ship it back out, James (tuner) told me he would take care of it. 2 weeks goes by, I have to call them myself and get a update (mind you my truck is just sitting waiting on the ECM to test fire). I filled out the ECM request form, and wrote a note of exactly what I needed, even gave them my number to call me. Well I get the computer back almost a month later (early March), under the assumption its still tuned. At this time, its the beginning of March, the truck still isn't firing so I thought I had more issues. I end up sending the damn ECM back to S&P one last time, (3rd time's a charm, right? On my dime too, $60 shipping fee's on me at this time). They go through it one more time, he says that they tested it on their motor before it left and all is good. That's when I start getting on the forums and trying to figure out what I have going on. I go back to my mechanic, start telling him whats going on (which I should of done to begin with). So he comes out, plugs up to the OBD port with his HP tuners, and that's where we are today. I keep getting a P1518 Communication with Throttle Actuator Control (TAC Module, which I don't have). I'm pissed at this point.

The following day I call S&P, I spoke with James requesting a refund. He agrees to put it through. Later that afternoon, I got a call from Richard at S&P. Richard starts off the conversation with bantering, telling me i'm not getting refund for something i've been credited on before I can even tell him whats going on. (the work I did for them, which they did NOT credit me on the ECM tuning itself), then he proceeds to tell me they didn't need the drawings but i invoiced them anyways. (Which I have all the emails from Mark, saying that's what he needed). Then he starts name calling, at this point i'm in awe over his professionalism. I'm in shock how a business can run like this.

CLIFF NOTES:
Order a LS HARNESS FROM STREET AND PERFORMANCE
PAY FOR A LS DRIVE BY WIRE HARNESS
GET SHIPPED A LS DRIVE BY CABLE HARNESS
PAYED MORE MONEY FOR DIFFERENT SENSORS/TB OUT OF MY POCKET ($500+)
PAYED STREET AND PERFORMANCE TO TUNE MY ECM
SENT OUT 3 TIMES ($60 shipping fees to ME)
FINALLY FIGURED OUT THEY TUNED THE ECM TO DRIVE BY WIRE, INSTEAD OF DRIVE BY CABLE
REQUESTED A REFUND
REFUND ACCEPTED by James at S&P
THEN REJECTED by Richard at S&P

This is bad business. I am highly disappointed in the quality of their work. Upon receiving the harness, like i mentioned only 3 wires were labeled, short of loom and tubing, the wiring harness looked like hell. I had to cut and add more wires to the harness, which I feel if i'm paying $1,000 for a harness it better be plug and play. I was at my mechanics the other day, and looking at some PSI harness's. Much, much better quality. I can't believe I ended up with this harness in my truck, but it is what it is. At this point, I just want a refund back for the tuning services. So I contacted my credit card company, sent along all the invoices, emails, receipts, tracking history and they are getting me a refund now.

I would steer clear FROM STREET AND PERFORMANCE. Their harness's are mediocre/shoddy at best. There are ALOT more companys that can provide better work, product, and customer service for you.

Last edited by 91frppgt; 04-24-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear about your troubles with the harness and ecm but know this, by you showing everybody on this website how shitty their work and customer service is, they WILL LOSE BUSINESS and that's the way to get back at these people.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by M6 Swap
sorry to hear about your troubles with the harness and ecm but know this, by you showing everybody on this website how shitty their work and customer service is, they WILL LOSE BUSINESS and that's the way to get back at these people.
I have some pictures on my old Samsung Galaxy phone that I took when I received the harness. I will be posting them this weekend, that's for sure. It's about principal at this point to me, this is not a good way to conduct a business. If 1 person was on the fence about using this company, and they read this, and decide to go another way, that's all I want. Because I have been more than understanding, but it just got way too out of hand.

Quick Reply: 1956 Ford F100 LS Swap HELP!