Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smog rules for California.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog rules for California.

I have a 1954 Chev. Pickup that I want to install a 5.3 out of a Taho in. I have heard too many horror stories regarding smog issues in this State so I wonder if anyone could shed some light on the subject, otherwise I will move to a different powerplant if necessary. Any help is appreciated, thanks much in advance.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe 74 and older, no smog. However if a vehicle is being purchased and brought in to the state, I recall a DMV inspection is necessary. I bought a new car out of state and these sick ****'s still inspected the vehicle, brand new, then made me smog it.

I would be very careful if you are bringing the vehicle in state, to not put a new engine in until the inspection is done. Last thing you want is having one of the ****'s tell you your 54 pickup needs to be smogged to a new motor's standards. If you have to drag it to the DMV on a trailer for inspection.

Then, once its registered in state, you should never have another problem.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Last I heard or was told. Anything 1975 or before is smog exempt an doesn't have to smog there car. Idk how true that is but I was told that by the last smog shop in was at. Go by ur local shop an ask then
Old 09-30-2015, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lilaaron233333
Last I heard or was told. Anything 1975 or before is smog exempt an doesn't have to smog there car. Idk how true that is but I was told that by the last smog shop in was at. Go by ur local shop an ask then
looks like you are correct on 75.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq
Old 09-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the response, the truck has always been registered in Ca, however it has been on a (non-op) for at least 10 years, should not be a problem, thanks again.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup 75' and older are exempt from being required to test. Techically all car/trucks need to have there factory equipment, but since you are not required to be inspected or test.. no one is enforcing it.

So. Do as you want.. I and too many to count has..

BC

Quick Reply: Smog rules for California.