Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing aluminum LS heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing aluminum LS heads

When removing the heads from an LS engine is there a certain way to loosen the bolts. A friend of mine said they would warp if not removed properly, I haven't had any problems, until recently after replacing heads I had water leak from gasket. The motor had problems before with lifters and over heating, but he swears it didn't run hot for long. Now he's saying it's my fault for not removing them properly. I accepted the accusation and had them surfaced and replaced. Just need to know if it was my fault or not, I pride myself in my work, not the best mechanic or most noligible out there but take pride in my work and never rush, I would just want someone else's opinion, Thanks
Old 01-16-2016, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i mean I crack em all loose and run them out with a rattle gun
but there's no order i know of
Old 01-16-2016, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I think you're friend is smoking something. .... I have never heard of removing them in any specific order. Installing them on the other hand is a different story
Old 01-16-2016, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

make sure you read up on installing them and you cant reuse the head bolts. they are torque to yield. the head bolt holes are blind and must be cleaned out with a thread chaser. make sure there is no liquid in holes or you could crack block
Old 01-17-2016, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a matter of habit I always remove any kind of holding bolts in a circular pattern from the outside in. But I doubt you would cause any problems by zipping them off in any order.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with the above. Don't think order matters but it can't hurt to follow a reverse order either.

I will tell you these aluminum heads in general may have issues with leaky head gaskets. I developed a head gasket leak about a year after overheating when it threw a belt on the free way. Didn't run the car long but apparently it was long enough. I couldn't measure the warp, but the machine shop says there was 3 thousands warp top to bottom. That small of a warp isn't supposed to matter but they touched it up and haven't had a problem since

I will also tell you GM ships their brand new crate motors with a slug of stop leak in the water pump housing. Read somewhere that is standard practice with aluminum motors.

So I wouldn't sweat a minor leak. Probably not anything you did.

Quick Reply: Removing aluminum LS heads