Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Colum shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colum shifter

I have serched countless hours and read a bunch of info I can't seem to find there is a shifter linkage I could buy to work with my setup. Looks like stock linkage will not work. Car is a 1981 cutlass supreme getting a 5.3/4l80e. It has f body pacesetter headers and it looks like linkage interferes. My last cutlass I did didn't have lt headers and it was a 4l60e, I was able to make stock one work. Would a lokar 1804 cable work for my aplication?
Old 04-17-2016, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Shifter linkage

Short search and Summit has several different types of column shift linkages. If they won't work than the cable is your only choice. I'm sure you know this but you can bend the linkage to clear some things.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 33willys
Short search and Summit has several different types of column shift linkages. If they won't work than the cable is your only choice. I'm sure you know this but you can bend the linkage to clear some things.
Yea from looking at it I didn't see it clearing. But ima try to tweak it more. Maybe I can manipulate it to work. But yes I would order a lokar cable shifter but I was reading they don't work to good with g body colum because how much is coming out of the firewall. Worst comes to worst I'll figure it out but I was hoping with all these g body swaps maybe someone had a aftermarket one that works.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

I kept stock with mid-length headers but I'm switching to floor/cable shifter this year. Does the support bracket/shifter linkage clear the long tubes? Part of my reason for switching to floor is to get rid of all that attaches to the proportioning valve and crosses over to the trans and allow the exhaust to tuck tighter to the floor. I've seen a lot of talk about lokar cables but haven't seen anyone use them on a g-body
Old 04-17-2016, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Have you looked at these guys?

http://www.shiftworks.com/kugel.htm

I was going to go that route but made a bracket that let me keep my original column rod. It varies by vehicle but in my truck it comes down right parallel with the firewall and as close as 1/4" in park, but never hits. It'd be similar to the ShiftWorks layout I think.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Plummer
Have you looked at these guys?

http://www.shiftworks.com/kugel.htm

I was going to go that route but made a bracket that let me keep my original column rod. It varies by vehicle but in my truck it comes down right parallel with the firewall and as close as 1/4" in park, but never hits. It'd be similar to the ShiftWorks layout I think.
The Kugel linkage is what I'm using in my '55 to keep the column shift with 4L80. Car is not finished yet but the shifter works great.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used the shift works system too for my chevelle with column shift. it clears the headers and firewall nicely. no binding thru full range.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Great I did see the ShiftWorks, sounds like the one to get. Later this week I'm going to get some time to work on car again. Im going to try to see if I can make stock one work, but if not I will b ording the ShiftWorks. Thanks everyone
Old 04-18-2016, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default shifter

I was able to get the column shifter to work on my 71 Nova. How i did it is in my build tbread. I had the same issue with headers being in the way. I had also looked at both Lokar and Shifter Work for a solution. I tried building linkages to try doing the direct rod design, but I had moved the engine rearward and the rod would not line up. Firewall was in the way.

I had to relocate the bell crank pivot, build new rods and modify the bell crank pivot lever lengths, etc.. to get all to work. Much trial and re-trying.

Helped the I took a linkage and mechanism class in college many years ago to help with understanding how it works.

Link to my build thread. I start working on it around post #106 and #121 and #132/

BC

Last edited by bczee; 04-19-2016 at 09:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Pylavigne74 (10-22-2019)

Quick Reply: Colum shifter