Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help 98 GMC Jimmy Swap. (Mods move if not correct place)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anarchy99
Also you may be able to find some of the info you're looking for over on SYTY.net . A few guys are converting typhoons and jimmys over to ls engines over there, myself included.

I tried to post but I do not have permission from he admin yet
Old 06-02-2016, 12:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's probably smart. I wouldn't post a thing over there until you do a whole lot of reading. They tend to be ******** over there, I just kind of filter a lot of it out most of the time but there is a lot of info on swapping in LSX engines and adding everything from turbos to top mount superchargers to NA, etc. I didn't think they put a aluminum 5.3 engine into a corvette. But I can find info on all the LS series engines with a quick look on Wiki which lays out every application each of the engines went into, so that helps to look for engines on the interwebs. All the accessories that fit and the mods that have to be made are also on SYTY.net on various peoples builds. Either way the engine names and lables and the applications are pretty well laid out over on wiki and skimming through there helps a lot to clear up what came in what, which years, and what the engine codes such as LM3, L33, etc mean. Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:24 PM
Teching In

So I am in the range of a ls9 if things go right from many your experience here would I need to upgrade the chassis if I drop anything over 430 hp into the engine bay? I also I know there will be knock on the ls9 and due to the turbo charger to engine I may just got with the Ls7. I digress though when would I need to worry about the chassis in my mod?
Old 06-24-2016, 12:37 AM
Teching In

So, I found out that Juneau's weather has ended my dream to swap my current Jimmy. The rear end is rusted to the point that upgrading anything would destroy the frame. So it is not only a DD.

So enter my new issue. I go to another Jimmy/Blazer or step up to a Gmc Sierra. Moving over to a full size truck would be nice but as I am researching this model I see no one mods full size trucks or if they do it sucks compared to the S-10 family. I guess the compact size give it a massive boost? Any suggestions? Buying a brand new car is not something I want to do.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Teching In

So searching the web has found me nothing. So I was talking to my Mechanic and he was telling me that a iron block with aluminum is a better engine as the aluminum block though great has a major set back if you do not keep it warm. The Water condensation that would build inside the block and damage it while the iron block won't have this issue but be heavier. So taking this as I looked into my ls motor choices I came across a LY6 that comes out of a truck.

The reason for the LY6 is for the fact my mechanic stated that it is best to get an engine that is built to get something heavier than my Jimmy to move hence the LY6. I just need to know is will this drop right in or do I need to fab anything?
Old 07-02-2016, 04:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the Jimmy was rusted out and you were looking for something else. I'm guessing you mean an iron block with aluminum heads? Iron blocks are strong but l33 aluminum blocks are strong as well, a lot of people have no problems with them at all when boosting the crap out of them. It all depends in what you are looking to do with the engine. If you are trying to keep the weight down, go aluminum. If weight isn't a concern go iron. Both will get you where you want to be at the end of the day. But again, I thought your Jimmy was rusted out and you were looking for something else.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:30 AM
Teching In

I will be getting a rwd jimmy instead. I thought I mentioned that but I may not have.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Well how time flies and lessons are learned. FFS I learned so much that read this thread gave me a migraine but none the less I am back. I find myself a solid engine builder but have grew to learn that an engine is the very last thing I need to be looking at.

So here we are and here are my builds I am looking at and struggling through. A 2007 Trailblazer SS and another 98 Jimmy 4x4 converted to AWD. So far what I have gotten this far

Parts as found thus far-

NP-149 T-Case x2 = $4,000 roughly
EAD Performance 4l80e conversion x2= $500 (no idea the number)
Steve Morris Pro-charged engine = 23,000 + shipping (Rough estimate)
N/A motor is on hold as there is another contact I wanna reach out to.
Peformabuilt 4l80e (Black edition I believe) x2- $12,000 (roughly)
Donating the SS trans back to performabuilt = $500 (roughly)
Ford 9" for Jimmy = $2,000

Now as I have learned I am still short on things.

1) What makes a great braking kit for both trucks
2)What makes a great suspension kit as well
3) Which ever gets the Steve Morries engines (if not both)will I need to fab the chassis.
4. Rawr
5. Labor and time out.

So far for both I am dumb in the red already. Finding a solid shop to do this is another issue. I want my Chassis work down around what the engine is doing but how many chassis shops focus on Daily Driving work. Not many. Also I am not buying the cars until I am certain I have a shop that way I can fly down to the area buy the cars and drive directly to the shop.

So yeah that is it so far, I am off to find a brake kit and solid suspension. Good day all

Quick Reply: Help 98 GMC Jimmy Swap. (Mods move if not correct place)