Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help 98 GMC Jimmy Swap. (Mods move if not correct place)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 98 GMC Jimmy Swap. (Mods move if not correct place)

Hello All,

I have a 98 GMC Jimmy that currently has a Vortec 4.3l with 120+ miles. Now what started this event was when I was going to place a 350 V8 which you can find the details here. After a while I learned this may not be the best option as there is a motor called the “LS” which God himself pissed on and created there after greatness soon followed apparently. Thing is this swap or for that matter any swap open the door of so many damn questions. Some I could find answer to while others I have to open this thread to remotely hope for solid answers. The question goes for, handling performance with a V8 in the bay, fuel economy once the swap is complete, and would I need to adjust anything of the frame and/or drivetrain?

Now I am aware that a fully dressed V6 weights approx. 425 while the LS1 weights 530 roughly. I have recently and by that I mean today learned of the L33 but know little to the specs or weight. So this doesn’t drag out The engines I have considered LS1 (5.3l, 5.7l), L33 (4.8l, 5.3l), LS2 (5.7, 6.0), or anything LS line ( I have no idea if the numbers are right). Can any of these engines go into the Jimmy? If so will the 16% towards the nose of the SUV/Truck affect the handling of the truck’s drive? I was told that since I am choosing a LS that I will not need to lift the truck 2 inches as if I choose the 350 saving me from losing the aerodynamics of the truck. Also as the L33 is the 5.3 with an aluminum block and heads will the later year engine connect to my current 4L60E (once modded to take the increase of horse power/torque?

Moving on how will the swap affect my fuel performance? I am currently getting what I believe is 16-17 city no idea on highway as we really don’t have one here. Will the fuel economy drop? Will it increase? If driven like a granny was driving it how would the swap effect my consumption? If I needed to open it up would it be somewhat fair on my pockets. Could it handle a cross country trip from here to Ga? So far I hear 20–25 city/ highway as the engine doesn’t have to work as hard to move my vehicle.

Lastly with such an increase of power would I need to have my frame reinforced? Would I need to get performance pats for my driveline? Do my brake lines need to be done? Can my current 15” handle such a change? Should I overhaul everything on the suspension? I will be putting Bilsten shocks should I not get these? I have 4x4 and want to keep that is there a performance?

Whew, loaded but my stressing thoughts. I know many of have questions so I will try to answer as best as I can.

1. What type of Jimmy? A: 98 GMC Jimmy 4x4
2. What are your plans for this? A: DD
3. Are you doing the work or a shop? A: Shop $90 a hour
4. How much are you looking to spend? A: $10,000 I hope but expecting $20

In conclusion I hope to get as much as I can answered here so I don’t ask everyone I know too much where they stop talking to me.

Thank you all
Old 05-31-2016, 02:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My advice is sell that Jimmy and do one of the following:
If you are looking for mpg-buy a Prius.
If you are looking for reasonable mpg in an suv with a bit of power for fun and towing-buy a clean,used soccer mom Tahoe, add a cam,exhaust and tune and put the rest of your $20k into beer and a good time.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tfi racing
My advice is sell that Jimmy and do one of the following:
If you are looking for mpg-buy a Prius.
If you are looking for reasonable mpg in an suv with a bit of power for fun and towing-buy a clean,used soccer mom Tahoe, add a cam,exhaust and tune and put the rest of your $20k into beer and a good time.

Hey buddy

I'm not looking to get dogged if that is how you are coming across. My money my truck can you help guide me in the proper direction or no? I hear this all too often and its annoying at this point. If at all by any means if you or anyone else for that matter dislikes this than might I ask of you to please do not respond.

Thank you
Old 05-31-2016, 03:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hop up on the search button and start searching for your answers and/or read the stickies at the top of the forum. Hop in the intro forum and drop an intro to everyone, etc.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

Do you have any idea how much the truck weighs? And are you planning on keeping it 4wheel drive? My 33 Ford weighs about 3700lbs and with a bone stock LS1 gets about 20mpg, my 71 C10 SWB with a 5.3 gets 17-18 all the time. I think with 4wd your mileage is probably going to remain about the same.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by anarchy99
I would hop up on the search button and start searching for your answers and/or read the stickies at the top of the forum. Hop in the intro forum and drop an intro to everyone, etc.
Trust me i have. I also made an Hello page here
Old 05-31-2016, 04:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Do you have any idea how much the truck weighs? And are you planning on keeping it 4wheel drive? My 33 Ford weighs about 3700lbs and with a bone stock LS1 gets about 20mpg, my 71 C10 SWB with a 5.3 gets 17-18 all the time. I think with 4wd your mileage is probably going to remain about the same.

Roughly between 4,500 and 5,000 depending. Yes I intend to keep the 4x4.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

You mpgs will either go up, or down. If it is properly tuned, and you drive right, it will go up. I get ~ 20 combined.

Dont bother trying to use the 4.3 trans, you'll just be doing work 2x. Get one that came from a LS.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GhstnDaJimmy
Trust me i have. I also made an Hello page here
How many times have you read the JTR manual?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gsteele
How many times have you read the JTR manual?

Hey excuse my ignorance I had no idea this was or is a thing. I have never read this manual. So this has the break down on how or what can be swapped over?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rpturbo
You mpgs will either go up, or down. If it is properly tuned, and you drive right, it will go up. I get ~ 20 combined.

Dont bother trying to use the 4.3 trans, you'll just be doing work 2x. Get one that came from a LS.

I did respond to you but that post is awaiting approval from a mod for some reason.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey excuse my ignorance I had no idea this was or is a thing. I have never read this manual. So this has the break down on how or what can be swapped over?
This company for most of the info that you seek.
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che...NewBody-1.html

Current Performance sells most if not all of the swap parts needed and will do the install and has a great reputation.
http://www.currentperformance.com/pr...10-blazer-4wd/
Old 06-01-2016, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Also you may be able to find some of the info you're looking for over on SYTY.net . A few guys are converting typhoons and jimmys over to ls engines over there, myself included.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Also you may be able to find some of the info you're looking for over on SYTY.net . A few guys are converting typhoons and jimmys over to ls engines over there, myself included.

Hey what is your user on the site so I can give you the referral?
Old 06-01-2016, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gsteele
This company for most of the info that you seek.
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che...NewBody-1.html

Current Performance sells most if not all of the swap parts needed and will do the install and has a great reputation.
http://www.currentperformance.com/pr...10-blazer-4wd/

Thanks for the intel I am reading and signing up lol
Old 06-01-2016, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

same name on syty.net
Old 06-01-2016, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rpturbo

Well it didn't post so I will try again. SO I ws going with PeformaBuilt Transmissions

Super Chevy suggest these guys. They suggest the Heavy Duty build and they will build for my engine type. Let me know your thoughts there. As for engine Nelson Racing Engine suggested I go with the 5.3 if I am worried about longevity of the build. They said the 6.0 is heavy but a top speed monster but would eat the fuel like crazy. I am almost in a happy medium with a 5.7 as they are easier to find.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:38 AM
Teching In

same name on syty.net

Done name is the same as well
Old 06-01-2016, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey buddy

I'm not looking to get dogged if that is how you are coming across. My money my truck can you help guide me in the proper direction or no? I hear this all too often and its annoying at this point. If at all by any means if you or anyone else for that matter dislikes this than might I ask of you to please do not respond.

Thank you
Just a friendly jab to see if you are for real,once you get the oil pan issue resolved,the rest is pretty straightforward.Lots of good reading here,almost did a S truck 4x4 swap or two,but could never find an oil pan solution that I liked.However,I will stand by my opinion that spending $10-20k on a twenty year old Jimmy and being concerned about 2-3 mpg difference is kinda silly...

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/lsx-discussion/
Old 06-02-2016, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Just a friendly jab to see if you are for real,once you get the oil pan issue resolved,the rest is pretty straightforward.Lots of good reading here,almost did a S truck 4x4 swap or two,but could never find an oil pan solution that I liked.However,I will stand by my opinion that spending $10-20k on a twenty year old Jimmy and being concerned about 2-3 mpg difference is kinda silly...

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/lsx-discussion/

Well getting 2-3 is not going to happen unless I am just flooring it. I cannot find a LS 5.3 aluminum engine unless it is a Corvette engine. Seeing as I can not find that much information on that kind of swap I am forced to move over to a 5.7, 6.0, or higher. Though I get confused by the numbers and "label" I am thinking on getting an Escalade motor.

Quick Reply: Help 98 GMC Jimmy Swap. (Mods move if not correct place)