Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck AC unit on High Mount AC conversion in LS SWAP?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Truck AC unit on High Mount AC conversion in LS SWAP?

Hey all,

I'm doing an LS swap into an 84 Firebird and I plan on using either Dirty Dingo or LSSimple high-mount brackets to put the AC and Alternator in the stock TPI position. My question is, will the truck AC compressor work in the High Mount location? does anyone know? I found one reference that said it wouldn't because of the pulley position/style but I don't remember where I saw it so I can't find it again. does anyone know?

Any help is greatly appreciated before I spend money I don't need to on this truck compressor.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are using the front set of crank ribs then yes, if hoping to use the rear set then most likely not.
Edit - just noticed you were talking about stock truck compressor, I was imagining a Sanden like I used. I did see an aftermarket bracket for it the other day but it was low mount which does you no good.

Last edited by chuckd71; 09-23-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Truck compressors wont bolt to any aftermarket brackets, and they are only 3 or 4 rib belt where as the main belt is wider so the belt wont fit. I have seen people use the old pancake style of compressor mounted up high. That would be a better solution since thats the compressor your car would have originally had.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys.

The LSSimple brackets come with either an R4 style LS1 compressor or a Sanden unit but it's rather expensive. I got a steal on this Truck accessory set but if I don't need or can't use the truck AC unit, I'll tell the guy I can't use it and will hopefully get it even cheaper.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"R4 style LS1 compressor" The R4 was (thankfully) dead by the time the LS1 came around.

Have lssimple's brackets for the V5 compressor - quality work for the price. Wouldn't go back to a cycling clutch system at any cost.

Quick Reply: Truck AC unit on High Mount AC conversion in LS SWAP?