Cooling system questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cooling system questions

Hi all,

Few questions.

1) Why does the jags that run steam tube radiator hose fitting go into the top radiator hose? Is this not a high preassure area?

2) If I was to avoid the jags that run piece and plum them to this r32 gtr radiator bellow, where would I weld a bung to plumb it? They say the top of the low preassure tank but as its a cross flow I think the low preassure tank looks like it's on the bottom?

3) I initially wanted to run an expansion tnak with the steam tubes and radiator overflow run separately to the top of the preasurised expansion tank to be able to burp the system, yet there are some people saying that this will introduce hot water from the steam tubes into the system without being cold as it enters the expansion then goes back straight into the low preassure without passing through the radiator.

4). I would prefer just to have the radiator with the steam tubes plumbed to it into a non preasurised overflow tank, this will save me heaps on pipes and space. Is it ok rather than the full self bleeding expansion tank setup?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails Cooling system questions-image.png  
Old 11-25-2016, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default cooling

My understanding of the cooling system is that it is a closed system. If the steam lines are connected to a vented tank then the system can't build the proper pressure. The steam lines are there to vent off steam in known steam gathering area. The vents should be run to the top tank or to the top hose where the steam can rise.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just drill and tap your water pump,quick and easy and about a thousand threads on here about how to do it.Unless your rad cap is far below the top of your cylinder heads,a simple overflow reservoir should do the trick.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't like the top of the water pump idea due to the potential problem of replacing one in the field (road trip, etc.).

Upper radiator hose works well, I've done it as does the radiator (GM's method).
Old 11-26-2016, 12:28 PM
Teching In

I'm not a huge fan of the water pump either for the same reason. However my question of the upper radiator hose being a high preassure area still stands?
Also anyone know where I can tap onto the radiator, in the photo?
Old 11-26-2016, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The "steam tubes" are part of the pressurized system so you need to run them into another part of the pressurized system. Plumb them into an unpressurized tank is like leaving the cap off your radiator.

And keep in mind there is no steam coming out of them. Steam vent is an internet made up name, GM calls them something else. They are only there to vent air out of the top of the heads. Once the system is properly vented and filled they aren't needed anymore. So no worries about replacing a water pump on the road, just pull a head vent when you fill it than cap off the cross over tubes until you have a chance to drill and tap the replacement water pump.

People really overthink these damn things.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:20 PM
Teching In

I don't know where people are getting me wanting to plumv it to an unpressurised tank?

I was saying in one scenario I would plumb it to the preassure expansion tank yet some say it will overheat by reintroducing hot water to the system.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by slash695
I don't know where people are getting me wanting to plumv it to an unpressurised tank?

I was saying in one scenario I would plumb it to the preassure expansion tank yet some say it will overheat by reintroducing hot water to the system.
Pop N Wood gave you the correct answer, As long as it's part of the pressurized system your good to go, The other people are probably thinking you were talking about plumbing it to an overflow tank (non pressurized side)
Old 11-27-2016, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by slash695
Also anyone know where I can tap onto the radiator, in the photo?
To directly answer the question, you can weld a bung on the radiator next to the upper radiator hose. If you have a TIG welder and confident in your aluminum welding skills (me, but most aren't) that would be fine. That is exactly where GM places them - or in a pressurized overflow. If you can't weld aluminum (90% of the people on the board) then the hose adapter from Jags That Run (or you can make one like I do) will be fine. The concept works perfectly, I've used them for years.

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
People really overthink these damn things.
Yes, they do!

Quick Reply: Cooling system questions