Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Swap 68 Olds Cutlass Complications

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS Swap 68 Olds Cutlass Complications

It has been a long time coming but last weekend we were finally able to attempt our first start. The car fired up relatively easily... Idled for around three seconds and shuts down. Over and over again. I know what you're going to say... VATS. And according to the shop who did the base tune, it is off and not the issue. Additionally, the throttle body will not operate, unsure if that is hardware, comparability, or tuning related.

I would really appreciate input on other things to investigate.

Parts include: 2008 Trailblazer SS ls2 and 4L70E, E67 ECM. LS3 heads, intake and gold blade throttle body, 07 Monte Carlo SS accelerator pedal, ls3 map, ls2 maf. Additional info upon request. Please help.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check your wiring on the fuel pump relay,unlike almost everything else it needs to see 12v from the pcm,not ground.For some reason I screwed that up on my TJ project,sounds like the same issue.As for the TB,check your power and grounds, I wouldn't be surprised if these issues are related,btw,who did your harness?
Old 12-03-2016, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

There was another thread here that indicated the trailblazer LS2 had 2 VATS systems. The typical one that kills the fuel pump and another that kills spark.
You could hotwire your pump to full time +12V to check if it's the pump voltage issue.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Gary has a good point,I missed the 08 E67 in the first post,VATS bypass on those PCM's can be tricky,there is a lot of good info on the EFIlive site.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Fuel pump relay has power as does the fuel pump. Harness was built by Modern Vintage Systems. Havent been able to find anything about two VATS systems yet. As far as the throttle body goes the accelerator pedal is showing input to the ECM, but other than adjusting to "home" on initial start up has no input. Does anyone have a schematic or pin out for the throttle body connector I can verify against?
Old 12-03-2016, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Would the VATS prevent this throttle blade from moving with he pedal? At this point I am trying to identify if this is one issue or two..
Old 12-03-2016, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I thought the Trailblazer SS used the silver bladed throttle body, not the gold LS3 style. They rotate opposite directions and as far as I'm aware are not directly interchangeable.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

You are correct. Gold throttle body is ls3... It is my understanding that ETC scalers can be adjusted to work fairly easily. I hope... Anyway.

Quick Reply: LS Swap 68 Olds Cutlass Complications