Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Fuel Pump/Gas Tank Questions (69 Camaro)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Fuel Pump/Gas Tank Questions (69 Camaro)

I'm installing a 2000 LS1/6-speed in a 69 Camaro and I was wondering what's the best combination and cost effective solution for setting up the fuel delivery system:

1) Rock Valley SS tank with pump installed in tank....very pricey!

2) Stock tank with external electric fuel pump..noisey!

Question to all....what have you installed and what do you feel is the best combination? My combination will be driven on the street and not on the strip.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Check out Tanks Inc. @ www.tanksinc.com. They have an intank pump unit for about $250ish. Uses the Walbro pump and comes with a tray to hold fuel near the pump and bezel to mount into the top of your tank. I've used them in both an LT-1 and an LS-1 swap, happy with both...
Old 07-18-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have my stock tank with external Walbro pump. I don't think its that noisy (compared to the exhaust). Then I used braided hoses to go from tank to pump to regulator/filter to hardline that goes along the frame. I then went back to braided in the engine bay up to the fuel rail. Total cost was probably ~$300 for everything. Check out some pics at My fuel system page.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by skonka
Check out Tanks Inc. @ www.tanksinc.com. They have an intank pump unit for about $250ish. Uses the Walbro pump and comes with a tray to hold fuel near the pump and bezel to mount into the top of your tank. I've used them in both an LT-1 and an LS-1 swap, happy with both...
Thanks for info.....I looked at the web site and will give them a call tomorrow.

Chuck
Old 07-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I have my stock tank with external Walbro pump. I don't think its that noisy (compared to the exhaust). Then I used braided hoses to go from tank to pump to regulator/filter to hardline that goes along the frame. I then went back to braided in the engine bay up to the fuel rail. Total cost was probably ~$300 for everything. Check out some pics at My fuel system page.
Thanks for the information. Question...do you have a return line on your set up?

Chuck
Old 07-19-2004, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69LS1SixSpeed
Thanks for the information. Question...do you have a return line on your set up?

Chuck
I have the '99 Corvette filter/regulator mounted under the tank, just after the pump. There's a return from there to the tank so there is no return from the fuel rail back to the tank. I believe that only the '97-'98 Corvettes used return lines all the way from the rail to the tank and those rails are interchangable with the other "returnless" ones.

In this pic (http://matt.undiagnosed.org/ls1/imag..._to_filter.jpg) you can see the barb pointing to the right on the filter. That goes to the return barb on the tank. The hose just wasn't on there when I took the picture.
-Matt
Old 07-19-2004, 07:38 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm gonna use the 4th gen tank and stock pump on mine . read several articles about how using an external pump could possibly cause vapor lock. the tanks are just about exact in the size and dimension , plus there's two added benfits : 1. the 99 -up f-body tanks are plastic w/ an 18 poundd weight reduction 2. the filler neck is rubber and flexible ,making for a lot easier removal /installation .
Old 07-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by badjuju342
i'm gonna use the 4th gen tank and stock pump on mine . read several articles about how using an external pump could possibly cause vapor lock. the tanks are just about exact in the size and dimension , plus there's two added benfits : 1. the 99 -up f-body tanks are plastic w/ an 18 poundd weight reduction 2. the filler neck is rubber and flexible ,making for a lot easier removal /installation .
do you know the size of that plastic tank and the weight?
thanks
Peter
Old 07-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

i really don't have exact specs but i have the LS1 tank in my possession and here's a pic of the plastic tank beside a stock third gen tank (the front tank is the LS1 tank):
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2004, 01:02 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

can take pics and dig up a scale (i hope we have 1 here, lol) if needed
Old 07-20-2004, 02:40 AM
Launching!

If you can measure it for me and others, it would be great.
thanks
Peter
Old 07-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

ok , here's the dimensions (we don't have scale here ) i've enclosed a pic of the tank to give you a reference point . the front of the tank is by the tape measure.the front of the tank measure 6.5" high then slopes upward to 14" high at back. 21.5 " side width and the front is 29.5" wide which slopes outward to 34"w at back. this pic is of the top of the tank .
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Fuel Pump/Gas Tank Questions (69 Camaro)-tank1.jpg  
Old 07-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Thanks alot, I was thinking no one could help me with this, THANKS
I think it might fit between my frame and exhaust pipes, how much space do you guys recomand to keep between the fuel tank, do I need to place some aluminum sheeting as heat shields?

sorry for interupting the topic, thanks
Peter from the Netherlands

Quick Reply: LS1 Fuel Pump/Gas Tank Questions (69 Camaro)