Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breather System for LS1

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breather System for LS1

Thanks to all that replied to my post "Where Does this Hose Go"?

It is pretty clear to me that I had the breather system on my LS1 in my sandrail totally screwed up! The breather hoses off the valve covers were connected to manifold vacuum without the benefit of a PCV valve. (it made a heck of a whistling sound at idle but didn't seem to push any oil into the intake)

This engine runs a lot of unusual attitudes, but is essentially stock with headers, no EGR. It tends to run in short bursts at high power.

Can I use the factory PCV system? As I understand it, the factory system is the hose going from the top right side of the TB to the right side valve cover and this supplies filtered air to the crankcase. The PCV valve is in the left hand side valve cover and connects to the vacumm side of the intake manifold.

Thanks for any help.

Phil
Old 10-07-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PCV system

You should be able to use the factory PCV system. I'm using it on my '35 Ford street rod and it's a pretty clean setup. I can supply all the GM part numbers if you need them>

Last edited by Oscar Will; 10-07-2004 at 12:35 PM. Reason: can add part numbers if nec.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Unfortunatly, my engine didn't come with a factory system, so I don't know how to hook it up. Is my description correct in my last post?

Does the PCV have to sit straight up and down, or does it lay sideways in the hose to the vacuum side of the manifold?
Old 10-07-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Default pcv valve orientation

The PCV valve in the system I used is in the plastic pipe horizontally just to the right of the throttle body. The part #12573108 is the PCV pipe assembly that includes all the pieces (including the valve) except for part #12556454 that is a short tube that connects the vac. port with the front of the rt valve cover. The main pipe connects the rear of the rt valve cover and the big tube at the rear of the left valve cover. This is assuming you aren't using the old style valve covers with the perimeter bolts. These parts are all OEM 2000 Corvette LS-1 pieces (NOT ZO6 stuff).
Old 10-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Launching!

go to ls1hoto.com, and check out the LS6 PCV conversion, that is the way to go, and is alot cleaner too.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

That's great if you don't mind all the changes, cutting etc.. Keep in mind that if you do that ls6 conversion you need to use the latest part number for the valley cover. The original one has been re-engineered for an oil consumption concern as well. GM dealers are required to change to the new part when doing oil consumption (rings) repairs.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oscar Will
That's great if you don't mind all the changes, cutting etc.. Keep in mind that if you do that ls6 conversion you need to use the latest part number for the valley cover. The original one has been re-engineered for an oil consumption concern as well. GM dealers are required to change to the new part when doing oil consumption (rings) repairs.
Does anyone have the latest part number?
Old 10-09-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

use pn #12568002, I think it's the same part number as before but this part has better sealing between the baffle assembly and the cover. The early one had a big gap and it allowed raw oil to be pulled past the baffle and into the PCV system. The early part is no longer in the inventory.

Quick Reply: Breather System for LS1