Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temp & pressure senders - where to install them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil temp & pressure senders - where to install them?

I am installing aftermarket oil temperature and pressure gauges for my LS1 conversion but I don't know where the best place to tap into the oil source is. I think the original GM oil level sender in the pan and the oil pressure sender on the back of the block must stay installed and connected to keep the factory PCM happy. Is this correct? If I don't need to keep these factory parts it will be much easier.

If so where do you guys suggest I should install my two aftermarket sending units?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You drill out the oil pressure tree, with about a 1/4" drill bit, and just run a 1/8 pipe tap in there, then thread in your pressure sender. It's already the right OD for the tap. I dont know where you plug in the oil temp. Someone else can help you with that, i'm sure.. You dont have to do anything else. I used a normal tap and wondered why it didnt work. DOH!
olly

Last edited by 67RSCamaroVette; 02-04-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled my factory oil pressure sender, got an adapter....Put my new pressure sender in there. Leaving the OEM pressure connector unplugged. For my temp... I tapped into the part down by the oil pan(which I think 67RS is referring to.)

-Matt
Old 12-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Teching In

On the passenger side, the head has a metric threaded plug towards the rear. I removed that plug and noticed that the threaded hole is the right diameter for a 1/4" NPT so I tapped it. I used a 1/4" NPT plug as a gauge so as not to go too deep.

Above the oil filter, I removed this blank, drill and tapped a 1/8" NPT.

CAUTION!!! National Pipe Threads (NPT) are tapered threads so don't go too deep, otherwise it'll leak on you.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by seon
On the passenger side, the head has a metric threaded plug towards the rear. I removed that plug and noticed that the threaded hole is the right diameter for a 1/4" NPT so I tapped it. I used a 1/4" NPT plug as a gauge so as not to go too deep.

Above the oil filter, I removed this blank, drill and tapped a 1/8" NPT.

CAUTION!!! National Pipe Threads (NPT) are tapered threads so don't go too deep, otherwise it'll leak on you.
1st one you tapped into is the water jacket. Not oil temp. But I did the same for my water temp sender.

-Matt
Old 12-09-2005, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
I just pulled my factory oil pressure sender, got an adapter....Put my new pressure sender in there. Leaving the OEM pressure connector unplugged. For my temp... I tapped into the part down by the oil pan(which I think 67RS is referring to.)

-Matt
Matt, I agree that the easiest place to install the oil press. sender is at the top of the block at the rear but I was told that the PCM needs to see a signal from this factory sensor or it will go into limp mode or similar. Is this not true?
Old 12-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Teching In

1st one you tapped into is the water jacket. Not oil temp. But I did the same for my water temp sender.

-Matt
My bad, did I write Oil Temp for the first pic? If I did, I meant to write sender for water temp.
The lower one is the oil pressure sender, not oil temp.
That's why I provided pics .

V8er, you're correct that the OEM oil sender in the rear is needed to feed info to the PCM. I left that sender along with the OEM water temp in and then drilled, tapped and installed the aftermarket senders shown in the two photos.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

i have the turn key harness,and there harness don`t use the the sender at the back of the block. if auto meter has a plug that will work with the factory sender that will save me some time ????? mike
Old 12-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Teching In

The PCM doesn't get a signal of the oil pressure sender. The signal goes straight to the gauge cluster. Just pull the GM oil pressure sender out get an adapter and install your after market sender and it will work just fine.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Last 2 posts are correct from the answers I have been getting from people(including GM, and ecu harness dudes)

-Matt
Old 12-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Last 2 posts are correct from the answers I have been getting from people(including GM, and ecu harness dudes)

-Matt

I stand corrected again .
Old 12-11-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by seon
I stand corrected again .
No worries dude, we're all here to learn.

-Matt
Old 12-11-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

what about the coolent sensor? does the pcm like(require) input from that?
Old 12-11-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 68shortstep
what about the coolent sensor? does the pcm like(require) input from that?
That one I was told to keep pluged in....? Since the cylinder heads are the same head (passenger to drivers side) theres just a plug in the passenger side rear part. Pull that out, and Autometer should make an adapter for your new sender. Thats what I did.

-Matt
Old 12-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Conversion master

I assume you mean coolant temp? Yes the PCM needs that.

The Corvettes use the little plate above the filter for oil temp. Like was said above, drill and tap for 1/8 NPT. That's where I have my pressure sensor.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep the stock LS1 coolant temp sensor in the driver's side head and use the passenger side head for an aftermarket gauge. I run dual oil pressure sensors. An electric Autometer gauge from the plate down by the filter and the stock 1970 mechanical gauge reads from the top of the block. As was said before, the PCM doesn't care if you have oil pressure or not.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Keep the stock LS1 coolant temp sensor in the driver's side head and use the passenger side head for an aftermarket gauge. I run dual oil pressure sensors. An electric Autometer gauge from the plate down by the filter and the stock 1970 mechanical gauge reads from the top of the block. As was said before, the PCM doesn't care if you have oil pressure or not.
Thanks for the info. I also want to add an aftermarket coolant temp. sensor but I can't use the pass side head. Is there anywhere else to tap one in?

Regarding the oil sensors, I plan to use the plate above the oil filter for the press. sensor and I am going to tap the temp. sensor into the oil pan, unless anyone sees a problem with this.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Does anyone have more info on sensor mounting locations? I will put the oil temp in the pan and probably mount the oil press near the filter housing but the water temp is still a mystery to me. Any ideas?
Old 02-03-2006, 09:42 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have also heard that some people have drilled and tapped the top of the water pump, but I have not seen any pics so I don`t know where exactly. Why can`t you use the passenger side head, that would definently be my first choice.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V8er
Does anyone have more info on sensor mounting locations? I will put the oil temp in the pan and probably mount the oil press near the filter housing but the water temp is still a mystery to me. Any ideas?
Passenger side head at the back. Pull the plug out. Autometer makes an adapter.

-Matt

Quick Reply: Oil temp & pressure senders - where to install them?