Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 into a 3rd generation camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 into a 3rd generation camaro

How hard is this conversion? I have read that an LS1 is the easiest, but i don't know why. And i really want the LS2 in there. There is no cutting of firewall of fenderwells or anything is there? What problems might i encounter? Thanks!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Anybody? I know someone has to have done this? I have searched since i first posted and have found not. I am ready to pull the trigger on this LS2 but i need to know if i am going to have to destroy my camaro in the process. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I've seen people do third gen swaps on this site before, but theres a lot of good info on thirdgen.org, heres a link to the engine swap part http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ltx-lsx/

Heres another person who is doing one and bought like 30 grand worth of crap for the install http://www.clubhioctane.com/communit...read.php?t=454 I just found that pretty interesting to check out.

I think the amount of difficulty depends on how much cash you have and what you want to include in the swap. I know spohn makes a K-member to swap an ls1 in, but they're pretty expensive, I think hawks third gen has some conversion parts on there site too. I don't have any cash to buy an ls1 to swap in my car, so I can't really help you too much, but definitely check out thirdgen.org.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a friend who did a LS1 in a 89 RS Camaro. He used Hawks motor mount, trans crossmember for t56, and stainless long tube hedders. Price but nice stuff.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the comments guys! Went to thirdgen. and couldn't figure out where you sign up at. So... the question is...why is it harder to put an LS2 in something than an LS1. Is it the dimensions?

Originally Posted by 87formy
I think I've seen people do third gen swaps on this site before, but theres a lot of good info on thirdgen.org, heres a link to the engine swap part http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ltx-lsx/

Heres another person who is doing one and bought like 30 grand worth of crap for the install http://www.clubhioctane.com/communit...read.php?t=454 I just found that pretty interesting to check out.

I think the amount of difficulty depends on how much cash you have and what you want to include in the swap. I know spohn makes a K-member to swap an ls1 in, but they're pretty expensive, I think hawks third gen has some conversion parts on there site too. I don't have any cash to buy an ls1 to swap in my car, so I can't really help you too much, but definitely check out thirdgen.org.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Teching In

OK. I think i figured out there are no fitment problems as opposed to the LS1. But i remember reading awhile back someone posted a thread as to which engine is the better choice, and a few rang in that the LS1 would be an easier swap than the LS2. I just need to know why? Please.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't really know enough to be giving you advise, but it may just be the oil pan being too long or something and crap like that which would make it harder then an ls1 from an f-body which already has a short oil pan. I also remember hearing something about a rear sump, but that's part of the oil pan, right?
Old 12-01-2006, 10:15 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it was an older post it may have had something to do with wiring/engine management. GM changed the computer and wiring when they went to the LS2, so when it first came out it was easier to do LS1 swaps because everyone knew the wiring and could reprogram the computers. I`m not sure if that was the problem or not, but if it was it is no longer an issue. Speartech is able to do the LS2 wiring and computer.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Hey, thanks guys. I would be getting the ECM and harness with the engine. So i would just need a reprogram, right? Also, does anyone else know of oilpan issues? Thanks again!
Old 12-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Default ls2 into camaro

I did a ls1 t56 swap in my 91 camaro. I got all my conversion parts from hawksthirdgenparts.com. And I had speartech make my harness. I have not see a ls2 in a third gen yet. I think the motor deminsions would be the same but not 100% sure. I would call hawks ask for bruce.
Attached Thumbnails LS2 into a 3rd generation camaro-picture_1161.jpg   LS2 into a 3rd generation camaro-picture_095.jpg   LS2 into a 3rd generation camaro-asdasda.jpg  
Old 12-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Hopefully getting this thing going real soon. Is there the same problem with the steering going to an LS2? As it is on the '93 and up Maros? Thanks guys.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Teching In

maybe it's concidered harder due to the ls2's e-throttle?
Old 01-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone know how to get a stock thirdgen mechanical speedo to work? Will a c6 ls2 oil pan fit or is a ls1 camaro pan required?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 355ss
Does anyone know how to get a stock thirdgen mechanical speedo to work? Will a c6 ls2 oil pan fit or is a ls1 camaro pan required?
You can use the Abbott cable X box...it's what I use.
http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm

And no, the vette pan will not fit.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

If I were to swap an LQ9 6.0 and TH350 into a thirdgen, and used an LS1 Intake and fuel rail, and oil pan, what else would I need to complete this swap? I know a PCM & Harness. Id probably use a speartech or painless harness. Im going to do the swap but am trying to get a start on what I need to search for. Thanks!!

I plan on eventually doing the L92/L76 head & intake to the 6.0L!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

All these questions can be answered on thirdgen.org, they have a subsection under "engine swap" that's specifically for the LSX conversions. There have been many conversions into 3rd gens and there are posts about almost anything you can think of, and its all oriented to 3rd gen f-body's as opposed to this site. You can get great info about the engines here, but I highly recommend you search their site for conversion info.

Yes, the LS2 can be done, the block is identical to the LS1 but some wiring is different. Not a show-stopper, you just have to plan for it. I'm currently doing the LS2 into an '88 Firebird and almost everything I needed to know I pulled from that site.

Last edited by a10beav; 01-15-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by texalmighty
maybe it's concidered harder due to the ls2's e-throttle?
All you have to do is get a mechanical throttle body and use an '04 GTO PCM. You can probalby just use a 4th gen F-body PCM as well.

Quick Reply: LS2 into a 3rd generation camaro