Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX into 2000 S10???

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX into 2000 S10???

So here's the deal, I have a 2000 S10 Xtreme 4.3 with 175K on the clock. Well I finally got another DD so I figured this would be my next project. I want to put a small block into it and everyone tells me to just go with a 350 but I would like to go with an LS1 or a 5.3. Has anyone on here done this swap or know where I could get some info on it? I know there was a guy here with a built 5.3 with nitrous on a 2nd gen but I haven't been on since I sold the T/A. But any help would be appreciated. I want to start buying parts ASAP if I can do this swap, but I don't know what I need. Also would I need a new tranny or just rebuild my 4L60 which is currently on the truck? Am I going to run into problems with the 2-piece driveshaft (extended cab) and can I buy a one piece for it? But anyway if you guys have any links or any info at all I would appreciate it.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Well, a standard 350 chev is easier and a bunch cheaper. So, you need to decide if you have the time, money, and need to swap an LS1 into your S10.

Some examples: The front accessory drive on your 4.3 will work on a 350. But the LS1 is completely different, meaning you need all new accessories (either C5 / C6 or I've seen truck accessories made to work).

Oilpan: The cast aluminum pans available for the LS1 series motors don't fit without either modification of the pan or the crossmember. 350 pans are available that just bolt in.

'JustDreamin'
Old 07-09-2007, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran across this on another site. I would imagine the swap would be similar to your truck. It has a V8 (and TT) but the V8 conversion would be your interest. Unfortunately I only found this video on it.

http://media.putfile.com/Joyride-in-a-10-second-Syclone
Old 07-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Yeah I did some searching around and found that I could pretty much buy another LS1 T/A or Z28 for about the same price as doing an LS1 swap in the truck. So, does any one know where I can get some info on doing a 350 swap into a 2nd gen? There's tons of info around the web on 1st gen swaps, not too much on 2nd gen (98+ anyway). What about doing an LT1 swap then? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

From what I understand, the easiest V8 swap for a late model truck is the Vortec V8 (350) from the full size trucks prior to the LSx series motors. Vortec heads are the best factory 1st gen small-block heads ever built (even out-perform the famed "fuelie" and "camel-hump" heads of the 60's). Great flow rates, high swirl / squish.

The Vortec SBC motors use a similar CPI setup as your existing V6 uses (has 2 more "injectors" on the spider). Which is a potential flaw.

LT1 is a pain in the butt. Ever try to change plug wires? That's a 4 hr job. And the Vortec heads flow about the same (or better) as the LT1 heads. Reverse cooling setup is a pain to keep all the air out of.

Originally, I was going to use a Vortec V8 for my conversion. Then I figured out that the CPI injection setup was a complete dead-end. It's good for somewhere around 300 to maybe 350hp worth of fuel and then you're out of fuel, and there is no upgrade (it uses a goofy "spider" system instead of individual injectors). So, I decided upon the LSx platform. After I was mostly done with the coversion, I learned that some folks had figured out the fuel system problem. Turns out Mercruiser uses the same basic CPI system, but uses individual injectors instead of the spider. So, if you change to a different manifold base, you can run individual injectors, allowing you to add enough fuel to support more power.

Anyway, that'd be my recommendation. Go with a 5.7l Vortec motor from a truck. I'd love to give you a link, but I haven't got any....

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: LSX into 2000 S10???