Old 08-10-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Try to start-> Click

2004 Corvette LS1
4L60e Tranny
In a '56 Chevy Convertible
Just got it running

I have one problem I'm not sure about. It is quite often just clicking when I try to start. After a number of attempts it will all of a sudden kick over and start.

Normally, I'd just presume it is the solenoid. But with this new setup, I'm not sure. Another consideration is this: In order to get the engine to fire, I had to run a jumper between two terminals on the back of the 56 Chevy ignition switch (don't recollect which two now...diagram for this at S&P web site), in order to have 12V during crank AND run. Given that, I'm wondering if the switch could be problematic. Anyone have feedback on this? Best way to test, as opposed to yanking the starter/sol and replacing? The engine, tranny, starter, and sol are all brand new.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the starter solenoid to me.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

battery with not enuff juice will do dat...
Old 08-10-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

a low battery would cause a constant no start, not a sometimes no start

sounds like a bad or sticking solenoid. next time it does it whack it with a hammer and see if it starts then.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kamin
a low battery would cause a constant no start, not a sometimes no start

sounds like a bad or sticking solenoid. next time it does it whack it with a hammer and see if it starts then.

well...depends...i happened to my ls1 swap 300zx...it would click click click...i wait for a bit...then it crank...but since i had other issues i.e. homemade bypass module didn't work correctly but that's another issue...when i waited it still turned the motor when i gave it some time...then when i would look over the motor again to see y it won't fire...i go back to crank...it click click click click...i give it some time and it turn the motor again...so i went off to buy a new battery just to eliminate one variable...after putting in new battery...it cranked over every time...but won't fire...becuz of the bypass module...

Quick Reply: Try to start-> Click