Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into 97 f-body, what does it take?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 into 97 f-body, what does it take?

My freind is looking into buying an entire LS1 drivetrain and drop it into a 97 Z28.

I know that the dash physically looks the same. What does it take to do the swap and keep all of the factory gauges and functionality?

Is it just a matter of buying a motor, trans, k-frame, computer, accessories, wiring harness and instrument cluster and the plug and play?

Thanks for any help.

Roman

Last edited by romanss; 08-30-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

u will probably need some metric wrenches.....and a hammer. I think thats what it would take.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its not all that hard you can keep the stock k member and use motor mount coversion kits. you will need the ls style steering rack and knuckle shaft. the wiring is not to bad but is very time consuming. there are 3 connectors under the dash and 2 over the wheel well that will need wired for the ls1 into the ls1 harness. also some misc things.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
Its not all that hard you can keep the stock k member and use motor mount coversion kits. you will need the ls style steering rack and knuckle shaft. the wiring is not to bad but is very time consuming. there are 3 connectors under the dash and 2 over the wheel well that will need wired for the ls1 into the ls1 harness. also some misc things.
so what are these mounts u speak of ?
ive done it but i ve used the ls1 kmember and steering rack among other parts for the conversions. i did not know there were some swap conversion
mounts out now,
bout time'
Old 08-31-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NemeSS
so what are these mounts u speak of ?
ive done it but i ve used the ls1 kmember and steering rack among other parts for the conversions. i did not know there were some swap conversion
mounts out now,
bout time'
Depending on the differences between the cars options wise, the harness mods can be simple or somewhat complicated. I'm just putting the finishing touches on the same swap your friend is consittering. He's gonna need more parts than he thinks (You always do). Look through the pics in the link in my sig and shoot me a PM with any questions.

As far as I know the LT1 and LS1 K member are phsyically the same. The difference is in the location of the motor mount holes.

You also don't need a LS1 gauge cluster as it creates more problems than it solves. Use your LT1 gauge cluster, get a 98 LS1 temp sensor, and reprogram your PCM to drive the LT1 tach.

Re'
Old 08-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Launching!

thanks alot guys the info is gonna help alot. do you guys know of a good website with all the info i need in detail i really dont want to mess this up since it will be my first try.

Also 1 last question. when removing the LS1 is there any critical things i need to avoid like cutting certin wires or lines that i might think are trash otherwise. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by losaltos6
Also 1 last question. when removing the LS1 is there any critical things i need to avoid like cutting certin wires or lines that i might think are trash otherwise. Thanks.
TAKE EVERYTHING...... You can't have enough parts. Specific parts you need you might not have thought of.

:Heater hoses
:Cruise control cable (use your current module)
:Throttle cable
:radiator with fans and all hoses

Things I would take if you can

:Entire electrical harness from the front of the vehicle (never know what you need)
:Fuel lines from engine to fuel tank ( I used these to make a new fuel system using a Vette filter/regulator and pieces of my old fuel lines)

You will also need to keep the trans crossmember from the old trans because the LT! and LS1 crossmembers are different.

Re'