Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise control wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cruise control wiring

I have wired my cruise control in with a custom harness made by current performance and everything from the harness seems to be in the right places but cruise control does not work.

Some are telling me that I need to have a hot in run 12 volt connection wired in for the system to have power. Does this sound right even though the system is drive by wire and is fully controlled by the pcm?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2007, 05:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can not answer your question BUT I have corresponded with a hot rod shop that is making ready to run muscle cars with LS engines and Escalade insturments.

He told me there are are a number of requirements for the cruise to work. He would not divulge the secrets as it took him many many hours to discover the solution.

I would say to get a wireing diagram and study, highlight all the areas you have covered.

Keep us posted.

John
Old 09-13-2007, 07:26 AM
Launching!

This may help. There are no real "secrets" about this. You just need a good diagram.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 76LQ9TA
This may help. There are no real "secrets" about this. You just need a good diagram.
One thing I've found when retrofitting modern electronics into an older vehicle is that the wiring diagram doesn't always make it work. Take this as an example...
I'm working on a system for using 4th gen TA electric headlight doors on my '68 Camaro. The top picture is of the wiring diagram for the TA, the bottom is how you actually have to wire the control module to get it to work. Wiring the motors 100% "by the book" doesn't work for some weird reason. This one took quite some time to figure out.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing about the cruise control unit on the forth gens is its stand alone...

Thats why you can wire it to work just like it did in the donor car. All it needs is a few hook ups, power, ground, and the cable and it should work.

The PCM feeds info to it, and I believe it needs to be hooked to the brake light switch, as well as teh clutch switch if your car is a manual. And then however you plan to activate it (stalk switch, custom switch, etc) It seems to be pretty stand alone and really easy to hook up. No vac reference makes it nice too...

J.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Cool, Thanks for the info guys. I think I am missing the hot on run connection. I'll get that hooked up and let you know what happens. Thanks

Quick Reply: cruise control wiring