Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all A bodies LS1 newbie swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all A bodies LS1 newbie swap

Hi Rocky here I'm a newbie and old school. I'm very green to modern techno and it will show so please be nice to me when I ask questions that are second nature to you LS1 guys. My project is a 1965 olds cutlass. OK OK I no it's not a Chevy but stay with me. I'm a Chevy guy at heart. I purchased the olds about 10 years ago when I was needing a daily driver. I was actually out looking for 1985 IROC Z's when I found it. I had owned a new IROC when they came out. The cutlass reminded me of my 1966 SS Chevelle I own back in high school so I bought it. This is worse I now drive a new Honda civic HX daily. So you see I'm an old school muscle car guy, modern muscle car guy, and a ricer so you all have to like me.

Enough of that, here's my ride 1965 cutlass 330 HI comp, 2 speed jetaway. The one thing I will say that I like about the cutlass over my Chevelle is it has factory air, power steering and power brakes.

I have all ready purchased a olds 455 to put in it but after wanting to add OD trans and the engine built up cost I can upgrade to a LS1 tranny pull out package. So that's why I'm here. So I'm in the early planning stages.

First question. Why are you guys having to install the newer gas tanks? How come you can't install an external fuel pump and plum a return line to the original tank? See I told you guys I'm green.

Incase any of you are wandering what a Rockytopper is you can go to my website http://rockytoppers.com/. I invented it a few years back.

Check out my nephews ride http://www.cardomain.com/id/RockyTopper

I built a Rockytopper for it and we designed and built the custom interior. My son did the upholstery work. Enjoy.

Looking forward to meeting you guys.
Rocky
Old 11-08-2007, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

that's a nice start for a LSx swap. A friend of mine had a 442 version a long time ago. Anyway, "A" bodies are not all the same. When looking at what fits and works lean towards the older bodies. AKA '67 and older. MOST parts of these car are same-same, but there are a few particulars that will make your day a "challenge". Study, learn, listen. All the info you will need is here, somewhere.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Olds!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a great little car.. this would be no harder that any other A-Body swa. Just get some Chevy SBC A-Body engine/frame mounts and it is almost a done deal. You have many options on Adapter plates now (S&P, BRP, Hooker, ATS, etc..). Just search out the A-Body conversion that are either on going or completed (you can see mine cardomain site in my Sig).

As far as the Gas tank or fuel system.. you have options. Many put in new tanks due to the fact the the LS1 engine needs 58psi of pressure and also to prevent Fuel starvation, which is not a good think to happen for a EFI car.

A Slumped or baffled tank would be needed to resolve the Fuel Starvation problem. Another reason would be to just put a new tank in or one that looks great (stainless steel, Ricks or Rock Valley). Some have used donner tanks from other cars that are setup with factory internal baffles (as I have done by using a 94-96 Impala fuel tank) designed for intank pumps (most newer cars and trucks no adays).

Another option would be to mod you current tank. The TANKS.INC in-tank conversion kit is a good option that many have used successfully.

You can and many have used external pump, but noise and other related problem that are related to external pump have been the reason that many have just done the Internal Pump route. You choice here. I common option here is to use a 255 Walbro intank pump with a 99' Vette Regulator/filter.

If you have question.. please try a seach 1st and keep them in specific areas or questions and not all in the same post... I hate writing a book on how to do a complete swap.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

I think bczee pretty well touched on the basics of everything. I will definitely agree with him that doing a search if you haven't already will bring you a wealth of information. Try using things like a-body and chevelle for key words. As for the fuel issue I went with the tanksinc setup for my chevelle. Here is a link to what I am talking about: http://www.thedetailzone.com/Tanks%2...%20Install.htm
Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 AM
TECH Resident

"Tanks" bczee. It's now official I purchase 2002 LS1 camaro and auto trans pullout package last night. I'll try not to bug you guys to much with questions. I found this site it compares engine demensions might be helpful to someone looking at doing a conversion.

http://carnut.com/specs/engdim.html
Old 11-09-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a common one that gets posted when ask for Dimensions.

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...=Custom&ID=586

Quick Reply: Calling all A bodies LS1 newbie swap