Sponsored by:

engine storage

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default engine storage

quick question:

i gutted my project over the weekend, tearing down to bare frame (seems stupid, after getting it all up and wired, running, etc.)

curious - don't want to disassemble the engine, so I'm pulling the LS1/T56 combo together with all accessories (sans wiring). my question is: storage.

i've got an LS1 out of a WS6 and i'm running a truck oilpan on it. i don't want to leave the pair dangling around - is there a good way to store the pair together?

i mean, i know on older blocks and inline engines you can just slap 'em in a spare tire and that works like a champ - but it's not possible with this setup (pan is too tall in rear). i don't have any full-sized wood crates handy or i'd stick it on one of those with the stock manifolds on it with a couple of 4x4's underneath.

suggestions welcome. pictures of suggestions appreciated.

got some radical changes coming up for my project, will be ressurecting my build thread in the near future
Old 01-30-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shifty', haven't heard from you in a while. Let me find a pic of it, but I do have a creative way to hang it if you want to try it. You just need a few jackstands. Use two jackstands to hold up the engine mounts, and a lower one at the tailshaft of the trans. Fairly sturdy, but not easy to move, and you need to be cautious around it. Just a thought....

In the pic, we used the hoist leg for the tailshaft, you could use a jackstand or a block of wood though....
Old 01-30-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It has been a while! Project went on hold while I got married, honeymooned, holidays and whatnot.

This method should work perfectly for me. I only need to store it until Sunday, probably, so I'm hoping that nothing will happen in those couple of days.

I still have the original mounts, and hadn't thought about using them, so ... you actually gave me an idea that I hadn't thought of.

I'm open to seeing other creative suggestions.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

I made a wooden stand to sit mine on. It's set up to clear an AutoKraft pan, not sure if it's deep enough clear the truck pan. It's basically a cut up 2x10 and some wood screws. I'm in Roswell if you want to borrow mine, or takes about 30 minutes to make one yourself (not including Home Depot trip).

http://www.blown.net/ls1swap/DSCF2696.html
Old 01-30-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nah, no need to come pick up. I have some lumber in the garage, and the jackstands (which I'll probably need on Sunday when the new frame comes in).

My main concern was with the oil pan cracking under the weight of everything. I mean - it's only cast aluminum, after all. Damn thing is expensive, though.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

I basically had the side rails of the pans resting on the 2x10's, with slots for the bolts to drop in, and then cut out a big space (leaving "legs") to clear the tranny. The stock F-body pan supported the engine fine (it got shipped to me that way!), but the sheet-metal AutoKraft pan didn't seem up to the task .
Old 01-30-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

When our engine was shipped to us, the F-body mounts where on it, and the guy just bolted a few chunk of 4x4 to the pallet, and then bolted the stock mounts to the 4x4's (using lag bolts). He left the crossmember on the trans, and ran a few lag bolts through it into a 2x4 bolted to the pallet. Worked nice, and was VERY sturdy. As for our storage method while we were fitting the engine and trans, it worked great. We also have many jackstands lying around (everything seems to come with a set anymore), so we still had the car up.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I unbolted everything, got all the appropriate things plugged up and sealed off, then .... could only find one bolt for the heads

So, the engine sits between the framerails...STILL. Gotta figure out the bolt thread and head to hardware store tomorrow, hopefully get it pulled tomorrow night ... then try and figure out a place where I can store it in this mess of truck (that it won't prevent frame from rolling out of garage)

Old 02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Furniture dolly

I bought a firniture dolly and added a piece of plywood and used blocks to stabilize it that way you can move it around if you need to , later you will always need something to move heavy stuff around and theyre cheap too
Old 02-01-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats funny, we use furniture dollies for storing transmissions. Works great, and they cost $8.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bolt size is 10mm x 1.5 got it pulled last night and used a half-cinder block with a thin sheet of wood with a raised 2x6 and a half a shipping pallette with two jackstands to make sure it doesn't wobble, tip, and that it is well behaved,

this is the dolly i mage that the front clip is sitting on - cost me ~ $35 in parts from Harbor Freight and for wood.

Quick Reply: engine storage