Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 with a manual trans?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 with a manual trans?

Is anyone running a 5.3 with a manual tranmission? It's my understanding that the 5.3 was never offered in front of a manual tranny, so how did any of you handle the PCM programming?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What type of manual tranny are you talking about? If it's a T56, you should be able to change the VSS numbers and just turn of the codes for anything automatic related, if any pop up.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

what year 5.3, dbw or cable,, if it is cable you could just use a ls1 manual trans file from a 411 pcm,, you can even fash a 411 file into a 896 pcm, and convert the 896 pcm to a 411 pcm
Old 02-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
What type of manual tranny are you talking about? If it's a T56, you should be able to change the VSS numbers and just turn of the codes for anything automatic related, if any pop up.
I can work around the VSS issue, may even run an external reluctor wheel if necessary. More importantly, are you sure that simply deleting the automatic codes with provide all proper programming? And to answer your question, I tentatively plan to run a WC T5. Not the strongest tranny, but will work for this application (Jeep Wagoneer...and I don't want to go NV4500)
Old 02-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
what year 5.3, dbw or cable,, if it is cable you could just use a ls1 manual trans file from a 411 pcm,, you can even fash a 411 file into a 896 pcm, and convert the 896 pcm to a 411 pcm
Using an LS1 T56 file--wouldn't this have different pulse widths than a 5.3 application (among other differences I assume)?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ellis Wun
I can work around the VSS issue, may even run an external reluctor wheel if necessary. More importantly, are you sure that simply deleting the automatic codes with provide all proper programming? And to answer your question, I tentatively plan to run a WC T5. Not the strongest tranny, but will work for this application (Jeep Wagoneer...and I don't want to go NV4500)
There is middle ground....how about the NV3500?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by subtlez28
There is middle ground....how about the NV3500?
You will blow it up. Only rated for 4.8L max.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
You will blow it up. Only rated for 4.8L max.
OK...but he is planning on using a T5...I'd put my $ on the NV3500 lasting longer(than a T5). I know it doesn't have a ton of torque capacity, but at least it was intended for V-8 truck use.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

My friend has a NVG3500 in his blazer with a V6 and he blows it up from time to time.

You could use the T56. It is a nice tranny. I would hate someone to put crap in there and blow it up.

He doesn't say which 5,3 so we cant say which reluxor it would have. The way u guys are talking it sounds like the later model. If it were the earlier sure just use the ls1 computer to run it. The stick cars ignore the trans anyways.

Deleting out some codes or chaning the OS to a manual is nothing compared to the frusteration of ur car failing all the time. It can be done.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Teching In

I haven't even purchased the 5.3 yet. Not to get into a 4x4 discussion here, but the details and rationale on the tranny are as follows. I am considering the World Class T5 (rated at around 330 ft/lbs, IIRC) because I have a couple of them laying around AND Advance Adapters makes an adapter to run a Dana 300 transfer case. This will be close to a bolt-in deal for the Wagoneer. The .63 overdrive will give me about 1650rpm at 60 mph, which is where I want to be without changing axle ratios (this is mostly a highway rig, not a rockcrawler). I could go with a NV3500 (and I believe there is a NV3500HD, not sure what application this came in), but I don't think this tranny is any stronger than the WC T5 (the NV3500 also as around a 27% OD vs. 37% on the T5). I could go with a NV3550, but the gearing is not as optimal for my application (only 22% OD). Ok, so back to the original question--can someone tell me definitively if just deleted all the A4-related thrown codes will have the 5.3 mapped properly with a manual transmission?? Has anyone done this before? I have to believe someone is running a 5.3 with a manual tranny out there?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
My friend has a NVG3500 in his blazer with a V6 and he blows it up from time to time.

You could use the T56. It is a nice tranny. I would hate someone to put crap in there and blow it up.

He doesn't say which 5,3 so we cant say which reluxor it would have. The way u guys are talking it sounds like the later model. If it were the earlier sure just use the ls1 computer to run it. The stick cars ignore the trans anyways.

Deleting out some codes or chaning the OS to a manual is nothing compared to the frusteration of ur car failing all the time. It can be done.
I would love to run a T56, but no one makes a transfer case adapter. Regarding the LS1 computer--wouldn't I have fuel mapping issues with this route?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 AM
rao
TECH Resident

You can easily change the PCM to accomodate a manual transmission.

I would really like to find out if ANYONE ANYWHERE has mated a T-56 or other car type transmission to any transfer case. I saw one person who did it, but it didn't look like it was built to last.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Teching In

rao--I think I recognize your ID from the V8RX7 board, right (like a few years ago)? Didn't you have an FC? I have an LS1 FD that I am probably selling pretty soon. I haven't been active on that board in a long time.

So, exactly what PCM changes would be required?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:37 AM
rao
TECH Resident

That's me I had a couple of FC's a Mustang and now my BMW

If you do a search under my user name you will see a Hummer H2 that I helped a friend convert to a manual transmission. The PCM changes are pretty minor and any mail order tuner can do them in about a minute. I did the programming on the Hummer, basically you just delete the transmission codes and change the idle. You could do a lot more as part of an actual tune, but that is not necessary. The tuning forum here and HP Tuners and EFILive have lots of info.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rao
That's me I had a couple of FC's a Mustang and now my BMW

If you do a search under my user name you will see a Hummer H2 that I helped a friend convert to a manual transmission. The PCM changes are pretty minor and any mail order tuner can do them in about a minute. I did the programming on the Hummer, basically you just delete the transmission codes and change the idle. You could do a lot more as part of an actual tune, but that is not necessary. The tuning forum here and HP Tuners and EFILive have lots of info.
Thanks Rob, I was looking for this kind of real world response. I was hoping it was as simple as A4 code deletes (as others have suggested, but it looked like just conjecture to me). I guess I was assuming that there would be other A4 vs. manual differences like mapping under certain clutch/throttle conditions. I have worked with HP Tuners on my FD. I'll check out your H2 thread. Although I have a couple of LS1's laying around, I don't want to "waste" one on this occassionally driven vintage Wagoneer. I'd rather just buy a low mileage 5.3, they are definitely the bargain of the LSx world.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Teching In

I got a 1988 chrysler conquest I want to put a manual 5.3 in it. I figured i would use a LS1 flywheel and a T5 clutch kit with a T5 transmission. Im just not sure the T5 clutch and trans will work with the LS1 flywheel and I dont think a LS1 flywheel will work on a 5.3
Old 04-11-2008, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

I am running a NV3500 behind a 5.3L in a '79 Cherokee. I would recommend it to anyone that knows how to drive a manual (ie not beat the crap out of it). My PCM is still flashed for a 4L60E. I've driven it about 14000 miles that way. On the road it drives fine.

I am not familar with the T5, but what is the first gear ratio? In this Jeep, a 4:1 first gear is about right. A taller gear will the tough on the clutch...

Originally Posted by Ellis Wun
Thanks Rob, I was looking for this kind of real world response. I was hoping it was as simple as A4 code deletes (as others have suggested, but it looked like just conjecture to me). I guess I was assuming that there would be other A4 vs. manual differences like mapping under certain clutch/throttle conditions. I have worked with HP Tuners on my FD. I'll check out your H2 thread. Although I have a couple of LS1's laying around, I don't want to "waste" one on this occassionally driven vintage Wagoneer. I'd rather just buy a low mileage 5.3, they are definitely the bargain of the LSx world.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Teching In

The 26 spline (GM V8) version of the T5 (both WC and non-WC) have a 2.95 first gear. There are actually two different OD ratios available, a .63 and a .73.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Hey Pete -- are you using an LS1 flywheel with your NV3500 setup?
Old 04-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Teching In

If a LS1 flywheel bolts to a 5.3 then all is good other wise maybee use a NV3500 flywheel and T5 clutch with a T5 trans. The sucky part is I wanna use a aluminum flywheel to get a little more horse and throttle response. Its to bad nobody has done much for 5.3 manuals.

Quick Reply: 5.3 with a manual trans?