Sponsored by:

Fuel Line Setup - Thirdgen

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Line Setup - Thirdgen

Hey Everyone.

Im posting this question in regards to rubber fuel lines.

Ive got a corvette FPR/Filter that im intending on using along with 4th gen lines.

Im working out lines that run from my LS1 tank to the filter/reg. Ive been thinking that if i ran rubber Fuel injection hose from the pump outlets to the input/return on the filter. Would this work? And safely?

the hoses run about 2.5ft from the top of the tank to the regulator position.

From there id run stock LS1 lines to the front of the car (with mod to remove bend) and then the stock quick disconnect to the rails.

I think this makes sence.

Thanks for your input!

Sheldon
Old 03-18-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as the Rubber is FI rated at lease to the max pressure that the pump can reach.. it should be ok. The factory GM line that are not hard line are those poly lines... can't be any worst that a good Rubber FI rated hose.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sheldon...why not use the stock LS1 tank lines from the tank to the filter?? Do you not have them? They will fall right into place and are the right length.

Im not a fan of clamping hose onto pressure lines. It will work, I just usually avoid it. Ide almost be inclined to use some braided stainless line, and some russel compression fittings on the quick disconnect parts. The FI hose will work... Like I said its just my personal preference to not clamp the lines on.

How are you comin with everything else??

J.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Sheldon...why not use the stock LS1 tank lines from the tank to the filter?? Do you not have them? They will fall right into place and are the right length.

Im not a fan of clamping hose onto pressure lines. It will work, I just usually avoid it. I'd almost be inclined to use some braided stainless line, and some Russell compression fittings on the quick disconnect parts. The FI hose will work... Like I said it's just my personal preference to not clamp the lines on.
Gotta agree with you there. If it were tranny fluid, coolant, windshield washer fluid, hey, no big deal - but fuel can get REALLY ugly REALLY quickly.

No sense "cheaping out" & seeing a car fire first-hand so that you can save 80-100 bucks...
Old 03-18-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
:No sense "cheaping out" & seeing a car fire first-hand so that you can save 80-100 bucks...
You got that right .. There are a few thing that I feel you should not be cheap on.. Fuel, Steering & Brakes...

If you can braze or get the local tubing shop, then get the AN fitting brazed on, they are more secure that the compression fittings.. How offen do you really need to remove the fuel lines..! maybe $10 labor/fitting...or a six pack for doing all of them.. (fuel rail and fuel sender).
Old 03-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Launching!

If you want to use hose, be sure that it is stamped / marked "SAE 30R9" which is fuel-injection specific rubber hose, which is rated at 180psi. The LS-series engines use 55-65psi at the fuel rail.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser

Im not a fan of clamping hose onto pressure lines. It will work, I just usually avoid it. Ide almost be inclined to use some braided stainless line, and some russel compression fittings on the quick disconnect parts. The FI hose will work... Like I said its just my personal preference to not clamp the lines on.

How are you comin with everything else??

J.
Thanks for the input justin!

Ive actually got a complete 2000 T/A that ive got to work from. Dad is using the LS1/T56 in it for his car, but everything else is up for grab's.

I was under the impression that they wouldnt work, but if they work fine, then i can just use the LS1 fuel lines all the way to the front of the car (with the mod for the bend of course).

That would make things a heck of alot easier!

As for my progress, i think im doing alright Ive got pretty much every part i need here now, just need to get it all together in the car. Im hoping to have it all running by the end of april!

Sheldon
Old 03-18-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

You got it Sheldon...

The lines from the tank, up to the bends will just about fall right into place. The factory quick disconnects that go from the tank to the filter and all will work perfect for you. Atleast they did for me. Literally the only thing you need to modify is the "bend/kick out" area.

Just be careful not to get a bunch of gunk in the quick disconnect couplings. Make sure the o-rings and all are clear and clean. If its all good, just connect it up, and you'll have no issues.

J.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Thats the one nice thing about gm. They built the 4th gens pretty much off of the 3rd gen floor pan with major mods to the front clip area but left it alone other than that.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep. Just from the front subframe forward changed drastically. Funny thing is, you can cut the front clip off of a 4th gen, and weld it onto the 3rd gen and still use the 3rd gen front clip body work. It all lends itself pretty well to custom work.

But yeah...the rear parts are all the same. An 82 firebird rear suspension will fit under an 02 firebird and visa versa. Just the axle width changed more or less.

J.

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 03-20-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Line Setup - Thirdgen