Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which 4L60 do I need

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default which 4L60 do I need

I have a 68 Camaro convertible with a LS1 out of a 98 Vette. Vette was an Auto and that is what I would like to go back with. I have all computer, harness, etc. Motor is not munted in the car right now, and the oil pan is cracked. I will need a new one anyway. I was thinking about the BRP kit. But I do not know which headers will fit.

I have researched the site over the past several days and I have not been able to answer this question.

What 4l60 do I need? Are they all the saem (truck/suv/camaro)? Which year models are the best to get from the junkyard?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 PM

Brad, you will need a post 93-94 4L60, from any V8 car or 2wd truck, since they are electronic as is your 98 engine and wiring, etc.

Hope this helps.

...Jim
Old 05-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Yes that is the info I needed. I assume those will be plentiful in the junkyards. Thanks

Brad
Old 05-08-2008, 06:59 PM

Brad, ya, plenty in salvage yards. Just be sure to get a look at the trans fluid and check around the pain bolts for missed crud and grease, etc. They are usually good about cleaning old worn out ones to get more money.

But, they still do it quick, so look for signs of a really dirty leaky unit that has been washed clean, by checking hard to reach spots, underneath, vs. an already clean low miles unit that will be clean and nice everywhere you look.

Prices vary a lot too, i've seen $3-400 ones that are very good, up to $1700 for high performance tweaked ones.

Hope that helps a bit, .

...Jim
Old 05-08-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brad74
I have a 68 Camaro convertible with a LS1 out of a 98 Vette. Vette was an Auto and that is what I would like to go back with. I have all computer, harness, etc. Motor is not munted in the car right now, and the oil pan is cracked. I will need a new one anyway. I was thinking about the BRP kit. But I do not know which headers will fit.

I have researched the site over the past several days and I have not been able to answer this question.

What 4l60 do I need? Are they all the saem (truck/suv/camaro)? Which year models are the best to get from the junkyard?

Thanks
Get a 99 up one out of a truck they will bolt right up and there are millions of them. The earlier 4l60s have a different converter offset than the Gen III ones. But will work with the correct parts.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Teching In

I will call the local junk yards. The truck ones are plentiful around here. I was figuring around 2000, so I was not far off. The tourque converter and trans should be able to handle the Vette power, right? That motor was rated at colse to 345 HP, wasn't it?
Old 05-10-2008, 08:19 PM

Brad, $2,000 is for a nearly new one, or reman with a very good warranty anyhow.
The trans will handle the extra power, the corvette tranny uses some different parts though, that interchange, so you could update that stuff, but it will be fine without any changes, just a slightly softer shift. The HHR components end up in between, shirt firmness wise. This is all very similar to the 700R4 stuff if it sounds familiar.

These trannies with only a few tweaks are handling 600+ hp!

...Jim
Old 06-27-2008, 08:02 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Bo185
Get a 99 up one out of a truck they will bolt right up and there are millions of them. The earlier 4l60s have a different converter offset than the Gen III ones. But will work with the correct parts.
what are the "correct parts"? my buddy is working swapping out his 97 sierra 4.3 for a ls1. but his trans is shot and needs to be replaced before the swap can happen. so can he put a ls1 style 99 newer 4l60e behind his 97 4.3?

Last edited by 4.8T; 06-27-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: which 4L60 do I need