Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much am I giving up??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much am I giving up??

Im getting back into the LQ4 swap into my 88 Monte SS. I'm fed up with the Scholenfeld headers, they fit like total crap and required 3 tubes to be moved (another should be moved). I honestly don't see how they list them as fitting this chassis. Anyways, I'm done screwing with them. I'd like to stick with headers but I've already wasted $210 on these and I really not interested in spending another $300-500 on a set (which will still probably have to be "adjusted"). I'm wondering how much I'll be giving up running the stock truck manifolds? Off the manifolds I'll be going into 2.5" head pipes followed by a 2.5" xpipe. If I were planning on staying NA, I'd suck it up and get another set of headers but I'm planning a S400 build come fall. I just don't want to totally hinder my performance.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe 20rwhp max. You're not running a huge cam or anything. FWIW Alot of guys out there running turbo set ups use the truck manifolds. They switch sides and run them upside down. If they were that much of a restriction i doubt they'd go through the trouble of using them in a $6k+ turbo setup.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know they are a common manifold for the turbo guys....kind of why I'm keeping them anyways. I may run them and see what they can do. If they are that much of a restriction I'll just figure it out then.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Go figure all of the stuff you will buy during the next year (non-car related) that you really don't need and it will be well over $500! Spend the extra $$$ and get a new set of BRP's G-Body headers....you won't be sorry!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...or flip the truck manifolds upside down and add a turbo