Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canīt get any oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canīt get any oil pressure

I am in the end of my swap to a LQ9. I have now filled the engine with oil and crank it with the starter, 4 times with 30 sec. duration and the oil pressure is zero. Should it take that long time to get oil pressure ? I have pre-filled the oil filter. The pan and the pick-up is modified. Does any one have a clue why I dont have any oil pressure ?
Thank you / Magnus
Attached Thumbnails -oil-pan-2.jpg   -pick-up.jpg   -oil-pan.jpg  
Old 05-22-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

I purchased a used 2002 ls1. I did not have any oil pressure either. I pulled the engine twice put in new o ring on the modified pickup tube. doubled bolted and RTV'd the tube still no pressure. I was about to quite when I decided to determine if it was the tube seal leaking or if I had a bad pump. I filled the crank case with 19 qts of cheap 5w30 oil until it ran out the plug on the left side just past the pump. I turned it over and in 30 seconds I had 30 psi on the gauge. I then drained it down to normal level started it and have had good pressure ever sense. I believe it is a priming problem. Others have used other methods to acheive a prime but filling it up until oil is in the pump worked for me. I heard thay make a priming kit but have no clue who has them.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Gen III/IV engine and it type of oil pump seem to be a problem on new and engine that have sat around for a long time. My pull out sat for about 9 month and it couldn't re-prime the pump.. I put a new O-ring in and a new LS6 pump, check to make sure all as correctly aligned and seated.
But I also filled the pump with STP (other have used light grease or other heavy oils). This seem to help seal the gears in the pump and get a better vacuum to start sucking the oil from the pan and up to the pump.

If you reseach on "no oil pressure" thread/post, you can spend hours reading up on this problem. But never find a root cause other than O-Ring, pickup tube not being seated correctly, or the pickup to close to the pan... but, even if all of those items are not the problem.. it just seem to come down to the pump not being able to get a prime.

Good luck..
Old 05-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car man Have you weighed it yet? My engine sat over a year with no oil pan, and no oil in it. Put an LPE high volume pump, moroso 7qt pan with deep sump pick up and new o ring of course. Took about 5 seconds of cranking to prime. I do have a remote mount oil filter which does mount above my engine so i was able to fill the lines up which i believe siphoned down into the pumped and caused it to catch prime immediately. I get 55psi just cranking it over.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i had trouble with mine, jacked the azz end up as high as i could get it, must have let some oil in the pump, didnt take long to get pressure-i also heard of rem the plug at the d/s front, which might go right into the pump, and adding some oil-anyway, your not alone on this deal, lol

Last edited by forcd ind; 05-22-2008 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Teching In

I have an LS2 crate motor sitting on my engine stand. After reading another thread about oil press. problems, I decided I'd better check. After cranking for several 10 sec. intervals -- no oil press. Remembering what I had read in the threads and my experiences priming shallow well pumps, I decided to make it easier for the pump. Took the fitting out of the back of the block and cranked for 3 sec. and had a gusher. Cleaned up the mess and reconnected the gauge. Now if I crank it I have 30 psi right away.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you all, now I have oil pressure. Tomorrow I will start up the LQ9 for the first time.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats I fired my 6.0 after it sat for three years. I filled it up with 15w40 diesel oil and cranked off and on for twenty seconds here and there it finally got oil pressure. It holds excellent oil pressure but I must say I was starting to worry.

Quick Reply: Canīt get any oil pressure