Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI w/ no cats = fuel smell?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EFI w/ no cats = fuel smell?

LS1 in a '68 Camaro - no cats, headers, dual 2.5" exhaust. How much of the normal carbureted (rich) fuel smell is normal? I drove 8 miles in traffic this morning, NO WOT, and one stop under compression braking. My shirt smells like fuel.

Mail order tune and I'm on my first tank of fuel.....I haven't been able to check gas mileage yet. Engine oil smells fuel-free.

I do not have any fuel leaks. Gas tank vent is open to atmosphere. It was 38 degrees this morning.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

I had the same after header install last thursday... gas mileage went to **** and rich rich smell... drive about 30-45 miles and seemed like things ironed themselves out in PCM.. no tune yet though which will help further.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Firebird does the same thing. We are all used to the new car smell, they have cats and evap. The evap is the big thing for the fuel smell. The stock fuel tank is vented to the atmosphere and the new ones go through a charcoal canister and is rerouted back to the intake to be burned. You may be running rich which will contribute to the smell, under hard accelleration is gets worse due to fuel slosh in the tank which pushes the vapors out the open air vent tube.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Teching In

thanks.

I did a little more researching and it sounds like the EVAP solenoid has a built-in pressure relief valve to vent excess tank pressure. I might just plumb the solenoid, just like factory, but not trigger it and not use a charcoal canister.....no room for one.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

I've never driven mine in cold weather... no fuel smell in warm weather though.