Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 GM A-body LSX swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 GM A-body LSX swap

Someone steer me in the right direction. Total noob to this but I am going to commit to converting this car.

Looking for any and all recommendations or a place to go get them.

The car currently has a 470 ci engine that is estimated to make 550 hp at the flywheel. I'd like something that makes reasonably close power but is much more streetable than this thing and might make a little mileage to boot. It would be nice to throw the family in and go to grandma's house too.

Looking for advice in selecting the proper engine, parts and conversion items from headers to engine mounts to the whole electrical system.

Thanks for any help guys.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For that range of HP, Are you looking to be NA, FI or NOS ? are you looking for a Create or having one built?

You can always start with one of the larger create engine; GM LS7 or one of the Katech's or TurnKey! Suggest you seach in the Internal Engine section to get some indeas of what others are running and what power range. Also check out the many sponsors websites that you see on the right.

Or start with one of the 6.0L or 6.2L block and go from there. Many good Head and Cam selection out there now !

As far as swapping the Gen III/VI, search on some of the A-Body (there are a few guys doing 66 and 67 now or have completed them) threads, it is simple enough. Many have complete mounting kits; S&P, BRP, etc...

You can either modify your harness yourself or send it off to companys like Speartech, Wait4meperformance, S&P or many other. Many of them will flash your PCM to get you up and rerunning.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

You also have to consider how much weight you are gonna knock off the nose of your car.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Snow, I replied to your pm. The issues found in my 65 cutlass swap using 2002 ls1 A4 trans are as follows.

1. The altenator clashed with the steering box. I designed a bracket to relocate to passenger side.
2. I could not find engine mounts for my application. I made my own from the fbody mounts and frame mounts that came with my engine.
3. Oil pan would not work with my frame. I purchased an S&P modified pan cost with core was 284$
4. Biggest issue was no oil pressure after car was running. It was first thought to be an issue with the pickup tube oring sealing to the pump. Turns out it was a priming issue that many have had with used lsx engines that have set for long periods of time. I corrected mine by overfilling the crank case so that oil was placed in the pump. After getting pressure the engine was drained to normal levels and appears to be fixed. There are several ways too prime the pump.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Teching In

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning toward a more mild build and adding nitrous.

There is a LQ9/4L80E package for sale locally with 44,000 miles. I'm thinking a better cam and intake and then letting the nitrous do the rest. This way I could maintain better street manners and mileage and still stay within budget.

Is 550 hp/tq unreasonable for a stock bottom end and the 4L80E? Would I be better off finding a different engine to work with?

Thanks for the advice so far.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Teching In

ttt

Thanks for any more help.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When changing the intakes on the lq4/9's you will need to change the acc. drive system. the lower intakes interfere with the belt. Intake/cam/retune, should be in the 425hp range from what Ive read. That's what Im planning for my 71 chevelle using an lq4/4l80e set up.

Good luck
Rick