Sponsored by:

Shopping list for 5.3 into '46 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping list for 5.3 into '46 Coupe

Hello All,

I wanted to explain what I am attempting to do and get some comments on my shopping list. These items are courtesy of the search button, hopefully it didnt lead me astray.
I am curious to see if you'll spot things I have forgotten, and perhaps tell me things I have included and don't need. I've done several cars in the past, but this is my first fuel injection swap.
  • 5.3 Truck motor (cheap) 2002+ for drive by wire if possible
  • Modified wiring harness (wait4me most likely, unless I get brave)
  • LS1 intake (not worried about max power, I just want the clean look for the show car)
  • LS1 injectors and fuel rail
  • Adapter plates to mount into traditional motor mounts.
  • I read something about the coolant lines that run under the intake. Possibly bend the ones that came on the truck and reuse?
  • I don't have power steering, but want A/C. I don't have piles of room in front of the engine, so I think this means F-Body brackets for extra room and for clearance for the thottle body with the lower LS1 intake.
  • Fuel pump from Tanks for the street rod fuel tank (58 psi, right?)
  • I'll be running a 4l60e so I'll have to tap into the VSS signal for an electronic speedo.
  • Some kind of shallower oil pan. F-body probably?

Now questions:
I am unclear on if my intake of choice will need a return line or a fuel pressure regulator.

I want to use a vintage air system for my A/C, but I suspect I can use a regular Sanden air conditioning compressor if I buy the KwikPerf brackets (hopefully I can use these with no power steering)

Will my street rod radiator be ok with an LS1? It looks similar to this one
Ok folks, what did I screw up before I start dropping coin?

Thanks!

The car:

Last edited by 46Coupe; 06-24-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

brp has killer deal on a 6.0 4l80e he just posted.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

I saw that deal!

While it is excellent, the poor thing can't take the torque.
It's set up with a stock rear end our of a '57 chevy. The 5.3 will be pushing it is as.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Well keep your foot out of it. I only shelled 3 of those in a 5 year period with my bone stock 1978 350 4 speed with headers in my 55 2dht. By the third one I discovered that the same 3rd member was still in use up until 1964 making it easier to find a replacement. I would think the auto would be easier on it than a standard that you throw into gear at WOT which is usually why mine exploded. Good luck nice looking ride you got there by the way.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Hey Rocky,

Thanks for the reply. One thing keeping me away from buying the engine online is that shipping is a real killer. I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio which is quite a stretch from you it looks like!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

if the compressor is variable output it will not work. here is a soultion to mount a sanden compressor to the 5.3

http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_ac.html
Old 06-24-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But it looks like you have a good start in mapping out your project.. you might continue with the thread by asking question on specific sections of your swap. That way we can all talk about a smaller item and not the overall project.. you can get a book writen on asking that question ! LOL..

The F-Body pan would be the best on ground clearence, the the LS2 Vette.

The 99+ F-Body or Vette with the single feed Intake (99+ F-Body and Vette) only should be good to 400+ HP, you can also use the 99+ Vette Fuel Regulator/filter. That way only a single feel and a short return from the regulator if you place it near the tank.

With a Stock or light mod'd Engine, most radiator will work, you will just need to get the right hoses and make sure the Steam vent is route correctly.

You should be able to find a older LS1 (or even a LS6 in the $350 range) intake, throttel Body and fuel rail cheap. Get some good injectors to stay away from any problem with used and old injectors. You can use the LS6/LS2 venting block and tube. or a LS1 vent tube.

Many are painting or even Powder coating the LS1 intakes to get it the show look.

I also used Jesse at Wait4meperformance for a re-flash of my PCM to get rid of the un-needed code and a basic tune to get me started.. good price $85.00 with return shipping. He also does wiring harness. Is he good ?.. that depends on who you ask, there is alway someone that has a bad dealing with someone.

You should be able to use the VSS output signal from the PCM for your Speedo. There is also a Tach output from the PCM.

Good luck.. love them old Sedan's !
Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

I have purchased a 2004 Yukon engine and trans for my 47 coupe.
Will be using all of the factory truck brackets.

Installed the f body oil pan.

Used Chassis Engineering motor mounts and made my own adapter plates.

Had to notch the right frame rail for the factory compressor, it is not a variable displacement compressor.

Using a PRC radiator its a stock replacement with a steam vent bung installed into the top tank. Went to the local parts house and got factoy hoses have the part #'s if your are interested in trying them.

There is plenty of room to use an electric fan and full shroud. The firewall does not need any work for clearance. I am using 4" tube for the air cleaner piping and still have room. The filter is just behind the grill.

I had to use the steel tube corvette manifolds. The drivers side had to be modified by cutting the tubes close to the flange and remove about 1/8" of metal and bend the outlet closer to the oil pan for steering shaft clearance.

To clean up the engine I have bought the Vortec 3 piece engine covers, about $90 new shipped.

Can send you some pictures of my car if you want.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Thanks popeye!
I think you are going to be my new best friend! =P

I'm using a mustang II front end, is that what you are using as well?

Pictures would be a great help to me. Sounds like you are farther along with the project than I am.
I have yet to buy the engine, as I am still scraping up the money to pick one up at the boneyard.

you can send pics to mvander@gmail.com or you can just post them in this thread!

Thanks again!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Nice looking Coupe, any better picures? What Popeye says is pretty much true, Some of that is also dependant on what your using for the front suspension. I am doing up a 48 Fleetmaster Coupe with an 04 GTO LS1 and 4L60E in my setup, Waiteme also did my harness and some minor programing.

pictures here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/777355-ls1-48-chevy-coupe.html
Old 04-27-2010, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Been a long time since an update.

5.3 is in the car (2006 DBW)
Wiring harness built for stand alone. Thanks LT1swap and alldatadiy.com for info.
Fuel lines run. Braided teflon lined -6 AN to sumped tank from TANKS, Inc. Vette filter regulator.
Exhaust on passenger side run. Truck manifold stock, driver side manifold cut and re-welded to fit frame/steering. Magnaflow 4" round 18" long mufflers dumped at axle.

Still working on interior and miscellaneous wiring for the body, battery, accessories.

Saving cash for March serpentine setup as it seems like the only system aside from S&P that will fit in the engine compartment.

Still need to gather a few more items, LS2 C6 oil pan and the associated items would be nice, I have to modify my LS1 fuel rail to clear my ignition coil.

I need to get a driveshaft made and locate my rear shocks.

All in all, I am making steady progress.

More Pics soon.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

Glad to see you are making progress. I am working on my car about as fast as you are