Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 in an 86 Monte Carlo SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 6.0 in an 86 Monte Carlo SS

Just picked up a low mile 02 6.0 and over the next few months am going to swap it in my 86 Monte SS.

My plans are:
Carshop motor mount plates
Wait4me performance wiring harness rework and tune
4L80E with stock or slightly higher stall converter
Rick Fisher g-body 4l80e crossmember
f-body exhaust manifolds routed into existing exhaust
LH8 oil pan
LS1 or LS6 intake
TBI fuel tank from FI monte or turbo buick with walbro pump and hotwire
vette regulator/filter
stainless braided fuel line
autometer electronic speedometer

Some questions that I have:
I have found a 2wd 4l80e transmission for a reasonable price nearby. It is out of a 99 K2500 that had a 1st gen 350 in front of it (old body style pickup). What do I need to do to make the older transmission work with the 6.0? I assume that I will need a torque converter from a 4l80e that had a 6.0 in front of it. But is there anything else? Will the wiring harness and everything plug right in?

I'd be happy with the stock power of the 6.0 but I may as well change the cam while it is out and easy to work on. Would an LS6 cam be worth installing and how involved is swapping the cam and valve springs on an LSx?

Would I be better off to install the trans from below and the drop in the 6.0 separately or should I install them bolted together as one unit?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 07-09-2008, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing i can help you with is the engine and trans i would put in together. I just put my ls1 into my 86 elcamino choo choo custom which has the same front end as a monte ss, i used a lift plate from carshop that bolts to the intake valley cover. If i didnt have that i would not have gotten the engine and trans in because the boom on a engine hoist is not long enough for a monte with a ss front end, the front end is soo long the lift hits the bumper. The lift plate let me put the engine in enough till i could reposition the hook onto the front of the engine lift plate. Hope this helps
Old 07-09-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I isntalled my 6 speed bolted together but being yours is an auto i would say you are fine to install it from the bottom. Id reccomend also getting a 2500+ stall just because it will be more fun on the street.

Dont install the LS6 cam. It's not worth it. I'f you're going with a cam get atleast TR224 or something for a 6.0L. I would think the 6.0L manifolds would be better than the fbody manifolds as the turbo guys are using them or a nice set of shorties. If you change the cam you will need new springs, valve seals, a valve spring tool, timing chian, pushrods, $80 in gaskets and of course the camshaft. You will also need wooden dowels to hold your lifters in place and a puller for your crank pulley. Figure on about $800. I would do a cam while the engine is out. It's alot easier. I would also go with the LS6 intake, not the ls1.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
I isntalled my 6 speed bolted together but being yours is an auto i would say you are fine to install it from the bottom. Id reccomend also getting a 2500+ stall just because it will be more fun on the street.

Dont install the LS6 cam. It's not worth it. I'f you're going with a cam get atleast TR224 or something for a 6.0L. I would think the 6.0L manifolds would be better than the fbody manifolds as the turbo guys are using them or a nice set of shorties. If you change the cam you will need new springs, valve seals, a valve spring tool, timing chian, pushrods, $80 in gaskets and of course the camshaft. You will also need wooden dowels to hold your lifters in place and a puller for your crank pulley. Figure on about $800. I would do a cam while the engine is out. It's alot easier. I would also go with the LS6 intake, not the ls1.

I was considering an LS6 cam because a used LS6 cam and valve springs go for around $200. Since I am on a budget, I can't afford $500+ for a new cam and springs. The truck exhaust manifolds don't clear the g-body frame. And pretty much all of the aftermarket headers have had mixed reviews from the g-body guys - some get them to fit and some don't. At least the f-body manifolds are proven to work so I'll stick with them for now. I will probably go with the LS6 intake for both improved performance and better appearance.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:02 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The turbo guys just use the truck manifolds because when you flip them over they mount the turbos in a good spot. The f-body manifolds should flow better than the truck ones. its just that they don`t fit well in an f-body when you flip them and try to mount twins.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:08 AM

LS1Tech 10 Year

almost forgot about the TC. The one on that 80e will bolt right up as long as your 6.0L had a 80e behind it before. If it did it should have a flat flexplate and a spacer in front of the flexplate.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G-Body
almost forgot about the TC. The one on that 80e will bolt right up as long as your 6.0L had a 80e behind it before. If it did it should have a flat flexplate and a spacer in front of the flexplate.
So the same torque converter will work with a 1st gen sbc and a 6.0.....the tc to flexplate bolt spacing is the same?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:14 AM

LS1Tech 10 Year

The bolt pattern should be the same, but at the most it will only require ovaling the holes slightly. Older Gen I and II engines had a 298mm bolt circle on the convertor and the LSx series went to a 300mm bolt circle.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you will have to relocate the O2 sensor on the drivers side manifold if you use f-body manifolds.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
I think you will have to relocate the O2 sensor on the drivers side manifold if you use f-body manifolds.
Yes, I seem to remember seeing this on JohnB's website.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:32 AM
Teching In

How's the progress coming on the this project? I have been looking for a nice SS as a starting point, and plan on doing something similar to what you are working on.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by scalarrthu
How's the progress coming on the this project? I have been looking for a nice SS as a starting point, and plan on doing something similar to what you are working on.
At this point I'm collecting parts and will get started within the next month. I've been checking this forum daily for the last year, and there has been a lot of good input on what's involved with a g-body swap from guys like g-body, johnb and ls1mcss.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure if the stock 2 1/4 exhaust will handle the 6 ltr unless you have true duals.

Look at the BRP headers. I just got a set of shortys and coated for under $500 they are a steel.

Fred
Old 07-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Going to be badass!!
Old 07-16-2008, 09:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 86SS86LS
Just picked up a low mile 02 6.0 and over the next few months am going to swap it in my 86 Monte SS.

My plans are:
Carshop motor mount plates

GOOD CHOICE MMMMM MMMMMM

Old 07-17-2008, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FBJR
Look at the BRP headers. I just got a set of shortys and coated for under $500 they are a steel.

Fred
That's not in the budget right now, but I do like there products and if I had the money I'd buy their headers, motor mounts, crossmember, oil pan etc.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would like to see a set of these installed. I have trouble getting to one spark plug with the set I built and would like to swap to long tubes.

Quick Reply: 6.0 in an 86 Monte Carlo SS