Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1dirtyZ's conversion conversion :D

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:46 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got most of the wiring done , just have to do the guages now. i redid the relay panel, all that i need to do is wire up some fuses for safety. i also finished installing the spal fan , it turned out the cheapie ones i had there had their blades angled in a way that made them not move air !

right now i need to change the oil on that thing and filter. then i will try to take the car out this weekend and play with it and fine tune the tune i got in there.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 PM
8 Second Club

took the car out for a quick test drive , it drove great , i lso did the obligatory "floor it to see which hose comes off" test , and as expected , i had one of the hoses going into the intercooler come off ( clamp was bottomed out and not tightening the hose properly), fixed that and proceeded to vaccuming up the interior of the car from all the crap inside of it .

on a side note, the car still would not start after it got warm . the battery is charging propperly , and i even tried another battery on there , yet still no luck.

what could cause this? i changed the starter, and got a thick gable grounding the block to the - batt. terminal. can it be the smallish guage wire (original) going from the ford fender mounted starter solenoid (now used as a junction block ) to the starter?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

have you tried hooking the batter straight to the starter you might have a voltage drop through the ford solenoid.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:27 AM
8 Second Club

It is kinda like that , i'm just using one post on the solenoid as a junction terminal.
last hing i have to try is a new cable from the solenoid to the starter , and if that don't work, i'll revert to good old hand crank power using a handle
Old 09-24-2008, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

Old 09-26-2008, 08:08 PM
8 Second Club

took the car out for some testing at the local spot ( ok , it was more like laying rubber down from my old slicks on the launch pad than actual testing )

car pulls good, only there is one major issue : just past 4000 rpm afr shoots up to 17:1 and higher !!! don't know why its doing that ; i have the same tune in it as the camaro - which runs great- fuel pressure is good at 60 psi and rising with boost.
i looked atthe hp tuners file and the strange thing is that the PE table goes from 1.2 in the lower rpm's to .85 from 4000 rpm and above ! i checked a few of the camaro files i had and they were all set up that way; which doesn't make sense! ( i almost could have sworn that the PE tables i had never went below 1.1 )

any how , i started messing with the tune and slowly brought the AFR down to 14 ish last time i floored it .i had to cut my session short cause i ran out of time and slicks then

another issue i'm having right now is over heating: the car's temp slowly rises untill it gets too hot. i have a single spal 16" fan on there, and another on order which should be here in the next few days. another problem is also that the starter will not turn w=once the car got warm. i'm assuming that is due to the small + cable going to the starter.

i also need to cut up the bumper some more to get some more fresh air in there. that and finally get to redo the starter cable and the water injection pump wiring.
i'm also debating weather i should go with an SD tune right now, we'll see what happens this week
Old 09-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Launching!

I would think it would be opposite with the AFR, but I would be willing to bet that the two are connected. Rising temps should cut the timing right?

Chris
Old 10-03-2008, 03:59 PM
8 Second Club

well i found out that the file i was looking at seemed to be corrupted, cause when i opened an older file the numbers looked more familiar.

so i took the car out to the local spot again after changing the slicks i had on there ( 4 uears old and pretty worn ; this is what they looked like when i was done with the first sesion of testing :

anyhow, the car pulls through the rpm range at about 11:1 now , still need to get it to a dyno and see exactly how the AFR graph looks like.

i'm still overheating this thing, i ordered a new spal fan which should be here in a couple of days , i'll be mounting it as a pusher to help the puller i have there right now.
if that doesn't work , i might just pull the radiator out and have the end tanks pulled off and cleaned. if that doesn't work i'll start looking into replacing the water pump ( i guess i ran out of parts to replace so thats why i'll change it )

the cool thing about today is that with the new(ish) slicks the thing pulls goooood all i can say is :
VIVA LA BOOST!! ,
the bad news is i think i need to change the converter ; ( and this is where i need your input) when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd rpm's drop from 6300 to 4300 rpm. i'm thinking the thing is pushing through the converter , could that be the issue? cause if i remeber correctly , i should just drop about 1000 rpm or so between shifts.

Last edited by 1dirtyZ; 10-03-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Launching!

wooow,
u did a great job guys, but we need to see some videos for this **** moving asap
im not a F/I guy but VIVA LA BOOST homey

Keep it up
Old 10-05-2008, 12:28 AM
8 Second Club

should be getting some soon , its geting cooler now over here and we can go out and race during the day , so vids will definatly be served soon
Old 10-05-2008, 04:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
should be getting some soon , its geting cooler now over here and we can go out and race during the day , so vids will definatly be served soon

ooh yeah, its geting cooler finally over here, Why wouldn't you come to the East coast some day to street race us??!!
On behalf of all Easterns I'd say COME GET SOME

Last edited by SUPER_CHEVY; 10-05-2008 at 04:51 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:20 AM
8 Second Club

i'm from the middle east coast

i would gladly accept your getting some offer , but shipping charges would just be a bit out of my weekend budget
Old 10-05-2008, 05:24 AM
8 Second Club

just saw you are from the same east coast i'm talking about

i want to go there soooo bad , ask the guys over here , i've been trying to get a group of us to head out there for a weekend for soo long but couldn't get it to happen.

may be soon since i'll have more time this season since i won't be competing and will be traveling there often , i'm just waiting for the humidity over there to drop below %100000000
Old 10-07-2008, 05:48 PM
8 Second Club

well a quick update on things going on :

i got my new spal fan in today, so i promptly installed it as pusher on the other driver side of the radiator. i also had the radiator cleaned ( end tanks removed and internal passeges cleaned) , the shop said there was alot of gunk and scale built in there that they removed.

so i slapped all of those together and installed it and ran the car for a few minutes and it held steady at 180 for a few minutes ( had to shut it down cause i couldn't breath in the garage anymore ) , which is a good thing, cause before it would just keep climbing . the real test is when i take it out again on the road.

another thing i got out of the way was the new ultra sexy guage panel i fabbed up which goes where the center AC vents are. it holds 3 guages (afr, boost , and fuel pressure) and did i mention it is ultra sexy

offcourse in my ultimate wisdom i forgot to take the camera with me , so no pics today , but given how sexy the guages look , i'll definatly have pics be tomorow

i also found out that i forgot to bolt down the compressor housing or snail ! there was one allen bolt missing and the rest were loose a bit . but luckily no damage was done to the unit.

i also got a message from a buddy who owns a bike ( busa with n2o) who was mentioning that his bike is "ready" for my junk...... oh well , guess i have to put the 200 shot back on

next up on the list: more tuning ! i'll be taking it to the dyno this weekend to see what i can do timing wise. i'm also thinking of setting up a retard button ( timing retard that is ) , so that i hit the button when launching to gain traction and release ( bumps timing up to normal ) as soon as i feel the car hook. maybe even wire the timing tuner back on ehre aain ... ( now that i think of it why did i rip all that stuff out in the first place! ) .
another little progect i might do is relocate my regulator from the rail to the fender so i can bolt the regular fiberglass hood on . but why would i want to make the car look decent

Last edited by 1dirtyZ; 10-07-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:52 PM
8 Second Club

so, i totaly forgot to take pics but some stuff is finished - and i still didn't get pics
i swapped the converter i had to the ol'trusty PI "pinky" one

i also had the subframe connectors finally welded on , just need to paint them ( had them in the garage for over a year!)

and in another step forward i took off the rear sway bar - to put on another car ( azooooz's stang , since he "forgot " to order the wolfe sway bar )

i also had the flex plate shield and tranny blanket put on too ( i still love you feet )

we have a test and tune we will be attending this friday , we'll be taking the red stang there , but as soon as we come back , i'll start fine tuning the car on the dyno and hopefully have the water injection finally plumbed. i'm also thinking of converting to speed density. that and the other little stuff mentioned earlier.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:26 AM
8 Second Club

here are the pics (finally ) :

the subframe:

and the ultra sexy guage and panel

Old 01-25-2009, 02:13 PM
8 Second Club

man its been ages since i got on this thread,,,,
just an update for you guys ,,, the thing is running and well went out to the local spot a few days ago and i had the drag radials on ,,, managed to smoke the tires at 130 mph! so i know its making power

hopefully will be heading to the race track in bahrain this weekend and should see what it does. debating on wether to run the car as is or dump some pump gas and bump the timing .

next up will be an SD tune , and finally mess with the rear brakes to get them to work properly
Old 01-25-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

130mph burnout! are you smoking crack!!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

those welds =
Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 AM
8 Second Club

i know , the welds were cleaned up afterwards

( pluse i think they go along quite well with the car's over all motife (sp) )

and denali, you should have seen the look on the passenger's face

Quick Reply: 1dirtyZ's conversion conversion :D