Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap Newb with a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Swap Newb with a few questions...

Ok, I'm planning on building a Shelby Cobra replica with Gen-III/IV power. The kit I want is still technically "under development" by John Chesnut but is a steel, semi-monocoque frame designed to use C5 Corvette suspension parts with kit-provided coil-over springs/shocks. The kit also comes with mounts for a Gen-III/IV as well as loooooong tube, coated headers for a Gen III/IV head, plus most of the other build stuff you'd need (radiator, body, interior, etc.) I'm planning on purchasing the kit option that includes everything for the build except the Corvette parts (brakes, control arms, spindles, bearings, etc.) motor, wheels/tires, and paint.

For the Corvette parts and the motor, I was thinking of getting an eBay roller chassis. The C5 rollers seem to go for anywhere from $7,500 to $9,000 depending on mileage, Z06 vs. non-Z, auto, manual, etc. However, right now, there's a 2005 C6 M6 roller with some nice bolt-ons I could sell to help recoup my costs. It's listed around $11k. The real benefit of a C6 would, of course, be the larger bore motor and newer parts.

Per John, the only real difference between the C5 and C6 suspensions are the rear, upper control arms for which he can easily accomodate during fabrication.

1. Anyone know if the dimensions of a C6 and C5 diff are the same? I know they're different but if they're the same size, it should work. The kit comes with a custom machined adapter to allow the use of the Vette diff sans the rear-mounted trans, which would be too wide for a Cobra interior. It bolts the diff to a rigid backbone and includes a driveshaft to use an F-Body M6 and shortened half-shafts to accomodate the narrower Cobra dimensions.

2. Also, the kit comes with a Lokar throttle cable for a drive by cable set up. Apparently there isn't room in the pedal box area for a drive by wire pedal. I've done some searching. Could someone please tell me if I'm right about this one - a 2005 Vette LS2 still has the 24x ring. This would allow the harness to be adapted to a DBC set up with the addition of an IAC and TPS and corresponding computer tuning to match, correct? Whereas, if it were the higher count ring, I'd be stuck with DBW, period.

Thanks for any input y'all can provide. I'm planning on painting the car some form of metallic orange like SOM or Atomic Orange and getting everything that's typically chromed powder coated black instead. It shall be named "Project Agent Orange".

Quick Reply: Swap Newb with a few questions...