Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

First C5 purchase opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First C5 purchase opinion

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/3467004030.html

I went and checked this out the other day. Everything seems in order and the Autocheck came out clean. Didn't find any leaks and everything works. A few scratches here and there, otherwise exterior is in good condition. Interior is mint. The engine bay is clean and I didn't notice any leaks. The owner has had it for the last 12 years and has claimed to do the maintenance himself. Original everything (clutch, plugs, paint, etc.)

The only obvious concerns are with the rear tires. They probably have about six months left with the amount of driving I'd be doing. The fronts are newer, but mismatched. I'd plan on throwing on new tires all around soon after buying it.

I wasn't able to put it on a lift to check the wheel play, but I am able to do just about all of my own work should it need any tie rod ends, etc. Tires didn't show any abnormal wear.

It is equipped with the adjustable suspension, but I didn't notice any signs of the shocks being shot yet while driving it. Then again, it was the first C5 I've ever been in. He claims the top doesn't leak, but it is garage kept and he can't honestly say whether it does or not because it never sees the rain. He did say he puts silicone on the stripping whenever he does the maintenance. Oil is changed once a year according to him.

I was hoping he'd come down a bit since the rear tires are going, but he said he already dropped it from $16.5. Is $16k too much for a C5 in this condition? I've searched 3 states out and have only found a few comparable cars as far as mileage and price. If ya'll feel this is too much, I can always wait and shop around. If not, I'll probably pick it up this week. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:27 AM
8 Second Club

Received 699 Likes on 440 Posts

You should go aks on the Corvette Forum. You will get more opinions than you can stand!

I can hear them already.......
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The listing is gone already? Did you buy it?
CF can be a joke due to the sheer number of know it alls that know very little. There are however some experienced members there that can offer good advice, but it can be tough if you're a newb, to distinguish the pros from the *******.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

CF can be more of a joke then anything on this subject. You'll likely get more responses saying you can easily find very low mileage, super clean, mint C5's for $10k all day long. Thats not so much the case in the real world.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I have yet to see any of these one owner, low mileage, C5Z's for dirt cheap that everyone on there claims to be around if you wait.

Quick Reply: First C5 purchase opinion